Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust got quieter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 03:07 PM
Ruguez

Default Exhaust got quieter?

Hey all, so I have a O/R x-pipe on my 07 GT. For awhile I had bassani race with it, and it sounded good and aggressive. For the hell of it I changed mufflers for a couple months and left the Bassani sitting in my closet. I just decided to put them back on, but they sound completely different, they sound very quiet and not very aggressive anymore.
Can anyone explain to me what happened? I didn't change any part of the exhaust since then so it should sound the same.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:24 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Here's one thought.
When new mufflers are put on it takes a while for them to deepen the tone, etc. So when you put the new mufflers on they may have been a bit tamer than the bassani however over time became louder, now that you put the bassani back on they are not (and never were) as loud as the others had become.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Ruguez

I have videos of my car with the bassani on them, and it currently doesn't sound like how it sounds in the videos, it sounds way quieter
Old 11-15-2016, 12:26 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ruguez
Hey all, so I have a O/R x-pipe on my 07 GT. For awhile I had bassani race with it, and it sounded good and aggressive. For the hell of it I changed mufflers for a couple months and left the Bassani sitting in my closet. I just decided to put them back on, but they sound completely different, they sound very quiet and not very aggressive anymore.
Can anyone explain to me what happened? I didn't change any part of the exhaust since then so it should sound the same.
The previously loud exhaust has damaged your hearing and left you with some hearing loss.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:48 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

I have a friend, his wife was trying to 'slowly' kill him with rat poison. His first symptom was 'hearing loss'. Just giving you something to think about
Old 11-15-2016, 10:10 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Check if any rodent made a nest inside them while they were stored or an angry neighbor stuffed something inside because you annoyed him Other than that I have no idea, usually when mufflers are dying they get louder, not quieter.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:41 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

How long have they been back on? I've noticed over the years with all the various vehicles I've owned, that mufflers, regardless of type, will "break in" and sound different after some time on the car. Even chambered mufflers are like this.

And, if you take them off for awhile, or if the car sits for awhile, often they will have to go back through this process again. It's weird, but I swear it really happens.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:44 PM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

Originally Posted by ghunt
How long have they been back on? I've noticed over the years with all the various vehicles I've owned, that mufflers, regardless of type, will "break in" and sound different after some time on the car. Even chambered mufflers are like this.

And, if you take them off for awhile, or if the car sits for awhile, often they will have to go back through this process again. It's weird, but I swear it really happens.
it has to do with moisture/carbon from sitting around in storage i believe. once they dry out again it should sound better
Old 11-22-2016, 08:51 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Maybe you just got used to the sound level?
Old 11-23-2016, 06:47 AM
User 92421
IN JAIL!

maybe the rat poison thing, havent heard from the OP in a while