Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on my first Mustang purchase, 2010/2011?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:43 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't blow all of your money on a car with 80-150k miles. You will want to save some for repairs. If you're buying a used car that's out of warranty you need to make sure you have some money left over for these eventualities.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:53 PM
PASTANGGT

Here is my .02

Finance a 2011-2012 if you can afford it. If not, and NEED a car, consider a nice VW Jetta or Passat. It'll be reliable and hold you over a yer or two to build income and credit, being only 22 yrs old.

If its SPEED your after, just buy a used late model 1000cc Sport bike. Or if you are on a real tight budget, a 600cc.

6cyl Muscle Cars, are not..... Waste of a good body if you ask me. Drove em all, old and new.

Jeep's are great too (Wranglers) But again, pricey, and sometimes maintinance can be salty if you don't do it yourself. I've had two. A 4cyl, and a totally custom magazine quality 6cyl.

But insurance for a Mustang at your age will be higher even with a perfect record. Don't get a cheap Mustang or other "quick car" just because you can afford it if you have to get one with high miles only limited by money. Get a sport bike and thank me later.

Between a 2010 and 2011 there is NO comparison stock. The 2010 is light bolt ons is a fun little car, but it is not even close to fast. That happens over 550 to 600 hp. When you can accelerate like a sport bike in a car, that is a fast car, anything else is simply quick.

You can have high end Euro cars smoke your Muscle Car and may not like how that little 4cyl or 6cyl made you feel afterwards. A bike is CHEAP power, still cool, and low maintenance.

So in short, consider the above very strongly. There is NOTHING anyone of us MUST have this minute. To be financially secure is the best option. You can do that with a nice economical car that doesn't stink, and a cheap used bike. Sure, your ride reflects from your personality, but it doesn't define you. Money is just a utility. And even a cheap beater crotch rocket....you ain't looking at the scratches when you are flying low! Just have fun and enjoy life. You'll have a SWEET mustang eventually.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

Check out this link for the V6.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthu...ang/ar-AAkFHZh
Old 12-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PASTANGGT
Here is my .02

Finance a 2011-2012 if you can afford it. If not, and NEED a car, consider a nice VW Jetta or Passat. It'll be reliable and hold you over a yer or two to build income and credit, being only 22 yrs old.

If its SPEED your after, just buy a used late model 1000cc Sport bike. Or if you are on a real tight budget, a 600cc.

6cyl Muscle Cars, are not..... Waste of a good body if you ask me. Drove em all, old and new.

Jeep's are great too (Wranglers) But again, pricey, and sometimes maintinance can be salty if you don't do it yourself. I've had two. A 4cyl, and a totally custom magazine quality 6cyl.

But insurance for a Mustang at your age will be higher even with a perfect record. Don't get a cheap Mustang or other "quick car" just because you can afford it if you have to get one with high miles only limited by money. Get a sport bike and thank me later.

Between a 2010 and 2011 there is NO comparison stock. The 2010 is light bolt ons is a fun little car, but it is not even close to fast. That happens over 550 to 600 hp. When you can accelerate like a sport bike in a car, that is a fast car, anything else is simply quick.

You can have high end Euro cars smoke your Muscle Car and may not like how that little 4cyl or 6cyl made you feel afterwards. A bike is CHEAP power, still cool, and low maintenance.

So in short, consider the above very strongly. There is NOTHING anyone of us MUST have this minute. To be financially secure is the best option. You can do that with a nice economical car that doesn't stink, and a cheap used bike. Sure, your ride reflects from your personality, but it doesn't define you. Money is just a utility. And even a cheap beater crotch rocket....you ain't looking at the scratches when you are flying low! Just have fun and enjoy life. You'll have a SWEET mustang eventually.
very very good post.
imho don't buy any v6 mustang..no car can touch a 1000cc bike under 800 bhp
Old 12-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mycelus
Ideally, I'd like to get the fastest car possible for my price range.
My opinion - that right there rules out the 4.0L V6 in the 2010.

The 3.7L V6 in the later years is almost a match for the 2010 and earlier 4.6L V8's.

What do you want it to be "faster" at?

As a matter of overall balance among accelerating, braking, and cornering I can tell you that in terms of road course lap times that it is possible to keep up with the SS Camaros of the same 2010-2011 vintage as the Mustangs you're looking at buying . . . with a 2010 GT, 4.6L engine and a mild tune on the engine side and a few carefully chosen wheel/tire/suspension/brake mods on the chassis side.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-15-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

or better still buy a 2010 camaro..
simply light years better than the s197 mustangs in everyway possible.
in fact as good as my 2016 mustang...both cars very close
Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rudolph Hucker
or better still buy a 2010 camaro..
simply light years better than the s197 mustangs in everyway possible.
in fact as good as my 2016 mustang...both cars very close
Don't I also know you as 'Pong' something or other? There's only one person I know on the whole internet with such a low opinion of the S197 chassis, although I think we both know I can't readily prove it now (might have to look through some of my own posts on a couple of other forums for quoted material). No flame intended, I sometimes just happen to notice things and remember them later.

On a road course I can run even with a stock 2010 SS Camaro ('stock' because I know why you're not into doing mods and because running even against a car with a hundred-HP advantage ought to count for something).

And the S550 in anything less than GT350 trim could still stand chassis improvements. It still wheel-hops, bounces a little too much, and its "PP" package falls somewhere between being a little too much for base-level and too little for real performance. That doesn't make it a bad car, maybe just pulled out of the oven a little too soon.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-16-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

just speaking my mind norm..nothing wrong with that dude..
not going to water down how much i hated my s197 mustangs...not everything is about racing norm
the gen5 camaro drives 1000 000 better than the s197..probably not faster in a straight line but who cares.
the ride is soo much better..i drove 500 miles to collect my s550 and trade my gen5 camaro.
both me and my friends both aggreed the 2 cars are very close ..in fact i think the gen5 camaro is better than my s550..s550 is faster but i dont care about speed..i want a gt car than can drive nice.
that live axle and front suspension on the s197 is taken from a 1972 taunus..no way on this earth that can be good...at least the s550 has proper suspension

Last edited by Rudolph Hucker; 12-16-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:05 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

ok ok, take your slap tickle fight to another forum. the OP wants to know specifically between the 10'-11' Mustangs. Norm, I appreciate all your info and knowledge and red nosed Camaro Rudolph, never heard of you, however, with the # of posts, much respect. we all have opinions and we each need to make up our own mind with the info given. I'm sure ill be bashed for this post but I like helping ppl and it was forums like this that helped me when I was a noob.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:18 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Constructive criticism is one thing, repeated outspoken blanket criticism of the chassis that OP is seriously considering - across at least three forums - is something else entirely.

The S197 isn't perfect. I get that. Coming from FWD cars and a 1979 GM intermediate (with its 1960's-era rear suspension arrangement) I found the S197's steering to be quite 'touchy'. Took a couple of weeks to adjust to. The OE tires (BFG KDWS in my case) were terrible in the rain. Actually quite good in the dry, but worse in the wet than max-performance summer tires are in dry cold. And the OE rear shocks were just flat-out harsh.

So I fixed me for the first of those (aka "driver mod"), and fixed the car for the other two.

On using track time as a basis - if a chassis truly has any evil handling trait about it, you're far more likely to encounter it up in a near-1g corner than you will at the 0.3, maybe 0.4g region that's still harder than where most drivers ever intentionally drive. In street driving not enough is happening dynamically to matter, save for tires being poorly chosen or something in the steering or suspension being badly worn, broken, or way out of adjustment.

Heh, the S197 can be pretty darn good at speed even in the rain (video is from a road course track day session), even with tires 50mm wider than stock. This should ease OP's mind about driving an S197 in bad weather a little. After the minor excitement ahead of me (around 11:00), camera shake down the main straight on the last lap before pit-in means over 110 mph (car was as steady as a rock).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-16-2016 at 06:37 PM.