Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How common are transmission problems in 2005 Mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 AM
sgs10

Default 2005 Mustang V6 Automatic

I have a 2005 Mustang V6 automatic with 240,969 miles on it. I have never had a problem until yesterday - it clunked, overdrive disconnected, then it quit. The engine would start and run but when I put it into gear, it quit again. So, had it towed home and am now wondering the best route to go with it. I cannot complain about the car, including the transmission, since I have put so many miles on it with not so great maintenance on my part. I've never flushed it or added fluid, but I consider the car A-1 for the longevity! I'm not sure if I will rebuild the transmission and take a chance that the engine will blow, or possibly just get another car and junk this one. Any advice from anyone?
Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I have about 106,000 on my automatic. I think all it needs are the bands adjusted.
Ford serviced the trans when I bought it, just a pan fluid change.

If you don't adjust the bands, the constant slipping will burn them out. There
are adjusts for it.

The common issue are the two bores that these bands run off of, as stated...
Old 05-22-2018, 01:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ahh getting back to this thread...so @85K miles (Aug 2017), I shattered the Input shaft. It's a weak point on these transmissions but usually only FI cars... Nope, I was lucky enough to be manually shifting from a just turned green and went to put it from 2nd to 3rd and viola, blown input shaft which took the pump and converter with it.

Anyways, Had ford put in a remanufacturered tranny with all the updates including servo bore sleeves and I've put about 3K on it so far. Drives awesome again...and I don't manushift ever now. Remand was only a little more than just fixing my existing tranny and aside from all the updates, it has a 3yr unlimited mileage warranty that transfers if I decide to sell it for a 2019 mustang
Old 05-23-2018, 07:04 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

I put 18,000 miles on my Ford reman, trans so far. Now it get the fluid change once a year without fail. A little overkill but it's cheap insurance.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:58 AM
streetcowboygt

Originally Posted by outceltj
I think it depends. I know guys that track the **** out of the car and have over 100k on the car and no tranny issues. I also do think tracking the car is as hard on a car as people may think. Running through the gears is good for them. Its the other **** that people do that can be catastrophic. constantly goosing the car hard or at highway speeds dropping the hammer and making the car down shift hard. I think when someone gets a sports car then its assumed that these instances are ok b/c its a sports car. From what i have read and what ford has stated certainly is something to be concerned about.
What exactly is catastrophic? I don’t want to be damaging my transmission. Like can you explain in detail please. Also my 2006 mustang GT sometimes flares. Is normal for the transmission to shift hard. And also sometimes the rpms flare when shifting
Old 12-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Flared shifting is not normal. At the very least you need you transmission fluid flushed if it's never been done. At the very middle, you need a new valve body/solenoid pack. At the very worst, your transmission is already toast and neither of those things will fix it except for a complete rebuild.

The "other ****" that people do is rev dropping the transmission. Car is in Neutral, they rev up the engine, then drop the transmission into drive to get a perceived faster take off. That will destroy ANY automatic transmission. The other thing people do is downshift the transmission manually to get more engine braking. These transmissions don't rev match so that will also absolutely destroy a transmission as well.

By the way, update on my replaced remaned transmission. Got about two years and 13K miles out of it before it started having problems. The Forward planetary gears were getting hung up and stalling out the car at idle. As the car came to a stop and the transmission was still locked to the engine, this would cause the engine to stall out. Got a new remanufacturerd one under warranty (Not a dime outta my pocket) and this one feels way better than I ever remember the first one feeling. Anyways, time will tell.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:19 PM
streetcowboygt

Originally Posted by Derf00
Flared shifting is not normal. At the very least you need you transmission fluid flushed if it's never been done. At the very middle, you need a new valve body/solenoid pack. At the very worst, your transmission is already toast and neither of those things will fix it except for a complete rebuild.

The "other ****" that people do is rev dropping the transmission. Car is in Neutral, they rev up the engine, then drop the transmission into drive to get a perceived faster take off. That will destroy ANY automatic transmission. The other thing people do is downshift the transmission manually to get more engine braking. These transmissions don't rev match so that will also absolutely destroy a transmission as well.

By the way, update on my replaced remaned transmission. Got about two years and 13K miles out of it before it started having problems. The Forward planetary gears were getting hung up and stalling out the car at idle. As the car came to a stop and the transmission was still locked to the engine, this would cause the engine to stall out. Got a new remanufacturerd one under warranty (Not a dime outta my pocket) and this one feels way better than I ever remember the first one feeling. Anyways, time will tell.
it’s hard to tell if my transmission is failing or not tbh. How does a transmission slipping feel? And a flare is when the rpms jump when it shifts correct? Do you have a link for refurbished transmissions or upgrades transmissions?
Old 12-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

flaring during a shift or a flared shift is where the engine revs up before it shifts and that causes it to slam into the next gear because when the gear does engage, it will immediately drop your RPMS down to what they should be...It would be like Rev dropping your transmission into every gear.

Slipping would be the opposite. It up-shifts fine but once the higher gear engages the engine will rev up but the car will not accelerate any faster or at all, it will feel like its coasting or have a very delayed feel to acceleration. There is no slamming into gear, just a lost feeling of acceleration with RPM increase. in severe cases you will smell like something like overheated brakes. That's the roasting of the Transmission clutches and bands.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:52 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by streetcowboygt
What exactly is catastrophic? I don’t want to be damaging my transmission. Like can you explain in detail please. Also my 2006 mustang GT sometimes flares. Is normal for the transmission to shift hard. And also sometimes the rpms flare when shifting

Looks like Derf answered ur questions. The input shaft on these cars are the weak point so if you do drag the car it will need changed. As for running through the gears at the strip isn't that bad. street racing such as going 50 on the highway and someone wants to play. If in an automatic and just slam the gas pedal down. The auto downshifts automatically and that is hard on the transmission.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:55 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
flaring during a shift or a flared shift is where the engine revs up before it shifts and that causes it to slam into the next gear because when the gear does engage, it will immediately drop your RPMS down to what they should be...It would be like Rev dropping your transmission into every gear.

Slipping would be the opposite. It up-shifts fine but once the higher gear engages the engine will rev up but the car will not accelerate any faster or at all, it will feel like its coasting or have a very delayed feel to acceleration. There is no slamming into gear, just a lost feeling of acceleration with RPM increase. in severe cases you will smell like something like overheated brakes. That's the roasting of the Transmission clutches and bands.
I had a 1500 dodge that started doing this when i put it in reverse. Didn't do it every time but was certainly noticeable. I traded it off for my 07 mustang.

Quick Reply: How common are transmission problems in 2005 Mustangs?