Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How common are transmission problems in 2005 Mustangs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 09:53 AM
YeahPete

Default How common are transmission problems in 2005 Mustangs?

Good Afternoon All,

I'm finally able to afford a midlife crisis car. I found a 2005 Mustang GT automatic for $11k with low miles. After reading carcomplaints.com and other sources it seems like these Mustangs have transmission issues even when babied? I'm just wondering because I really want a mustang, but I can't afford a costly transmission repair and don't have the time to do it myself.

A have any of you had transmission problems? How common is this problem? Is it something I should worry about? Are there specific noises I should listen for when test driving? Should I check transmission fluid?

I really want to go run out and buy it today.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by YeahPete
Good Afternoon All,

I'm finally able to afford a midlife crisis car. I found a 2005 Mustang GT automatic for $11k with low miles. After reading carcomplaints.com and other sources it seems like these Mustangs have transmission issues even when babied? I'm just wondering because I really want a mustang, but I can't afford a costly transmission repair and don't have the time to do it myself.

A have any of you had transmission problems? How common is this problem? Is it something I should worry about? Are there specific noises I should listen for when test driving? Should I check transmission fluid?

The most common and expensive problem of the problems with the 5R55S transmission these cars have is the servo bore wear on the intermediate and overdrive servos. This link explains the issue and it is bound to happen to ALL 5R55S transmission because of the root cause (steel shaft rubbing up against an aluminum bore).

http://www.fordservoboretransmission...-solution.html

Ford and aftermarkets have introduced a couple of solutions, one is provided in the link I provided. The other requires inserting Brass sleeves into the aluminum bores but honestly, brass is softer than aluminum. I think there are some that offer a Steel sleeve instead but it's still pretty labor intensive (expensive). It's not something the average DIYer can do.

If the car is already exhibiting symptoms and dropping the pan shows excessive wear or chunks, it's too late, the transmission has to be rebuilt.

The other problem is clunking when shifting into reverse. This one can be fixed by replacing the Reverse servo and is common but not expensive.

Also, there is no dipstick on these transmissions which makes it difficult to easily check and replace the fluid. I personally would be very hesitant to purchase a used vehicle (Mustang, explorer, F150 etc) that uses this transmission unless the previous owner has meticulous service records that show the maintenance of the tranny. It's a ticking time bomb at best and even with proper service, it is bound to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I've beat on my Mustang since day one and have 80K miles on it. Fluid has been flushed twice (30K/60K) and when I did a valve-body/solenoid upgrade at 70K I replaced about half the fluid. It drives like a champ but I'm waiting for the day I start getting problems. Although, I may try the modified servos to prolong a failure

Last item, I also drive with the OD off unless I am on the freeway or maintaing speeds above 60 mph for extended periods of time. It seems the OD servo is the first to go. With OD off, it locks 5th gear out so you only get 1 through 4. Turning OD off also makes the car more responsive around town when you step on it as it usually only needs to downshift once, not twice. That and the upgrades to the valve body i did helped with responsiveness

Last edited by Derf00; 11-22-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:34 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

The 5r55s is just waiting to fail.

Mine is giving me some clunking going into reverse at the moment.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:18 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Old 11-29-2016, 09:22 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

T56 swap and be done
Old 01-08-2017, 09:42 AM
007 v6

Good Afternoon All,

I'm finally able to afford a midlife crisis car. I found a 2005 Mustang GT automatic for $11k with low miles.

Seems too much to me. For that kind of money you would be able to get a 2009 - 2010 around here. Not to knock anyone's car, but the 2005s had their own kind of problems (guage clusters for one) and the following cars were built at another plant. I'd look for at least a 2007 - 2009 if you can find one.

Good Afternoon All,

After reading carcomplaints.com and other sources it seems like these Mustangs have transmission issues even when babied?

I'm just wondering because I really want a mustang, but I can't afford a costly transmission repair and don't have the time to do it myself.

Yep. Automatic transmission problems abound in all the mustangs I looked at. Just the way Ford planned it when they made the trans "sealed for life", gave it no dipstick and put in a specialty plug to drain and add fluid. Hope they burn in hell for that one.

Drive the car and pay close attention to whistling and trans slip. Clunking could be the trans, U-joints ($135 each) or rear end. That's about all I think you can do. Chances are probably about 50/50 or more that the trans will need a rebuild around 150,000 anyway is my guess based on what I've read and my experience with my 2007 V6 (135,000 miles).

Last edited by 007 v6; 01-08-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 007 v6
Seems too much to me. For that kind of money you would be able to get a 2009 - 2010 around here. Not to knock anyone's car, but the 2005s had their own kind of problems (guage clusters for one) and the following cars were built at another plant. I'd look for at least a 2007 - 2009 if you can find one.

Yep. Automatic transmission problems abound in all the mustangs I looked at. Just the way Ford planned it when they made the trans "sealed for life", gave it no dipstick and put in a specialty plug to drain and add fluid. Hope they burn in hell for that one.

Drive the car and pay close attention to whistling and trans slip. Clunking could be the trans, U-joints ($135 each) or rear end. That's about all I think you can do. Chances are probably about 50/50 or more that the trans will need a rebuild around 150,000 anyway is my guess based on what I've read and my experience with my 2007 V6 (135,000 miles).
The "specialty" plug is nothing but a 17 or 19 mm drain plug with a hex head plug in the center that covers a snorkel that goes into the center of it. It allows overfilled fluid to drain back out, thus the tranny gets filled to the appropriate amount.

In other words, remove the 17/19 mm drain plug like any tranny. Let the fluid drain, put it back in. Remove the 8mm hex head center cap, insert 1/8 npt fitting with an appropriate sized nipple so that you can attach a tube between the nipple and the tranny funnel of your choice. Gravity feed the new tranny fluid (5-6 quarts for a drain and refill), remove the tube from the nipple on the tranny, let it drain back out to a trickle. Put the hex cap back into the snorkel, warm it up, recheck. Done.

Most German vehicles do it this way as do some other foreign and domestic OEM's. The only inconvenience is having to have the car level while in the air. Two ramps and two jackstands or four jackstands.

One thing these tranny's are not known for is leaking so, as long as you have properly filled it up to begin with, low fluid is not a problem.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:46 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

If you go this route id suggest a tranny catch can if you like to take some spirited drives. I put a deep pan on my car. It came with a dipstick to check fluid. I also installed the catch can. It will help. I haven't had any issues but i have only 40k on my 07. I have a lot of passes going down the track as well.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by outceltj
If you go this route id suggest a tranny catch can if you like to take some spirited drives. I put a deep pan on my car. It came with a dipstick to check fluid. I also installed the catch can. It will help. I haven't had any issues but i have only 40k on my 07. I have a lot of passes going down the track as well.
yep, it's not the maintenance that's difficult, it's just the primary issue that crops up and just shiz cans the whole thing.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:36 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Well crap i suppose i should do something to mine before it takes the almighty dump. Why was i thinking that these tranny's were alright. Probably just get a kit from brenspeed and have them do it I suppose. Damn thing. Be a good time to have them change my exhaust as well

Originally Posted by Derf00
yep, it's not the maintenance that's difficult, it's just the primary issue that crops up and just shiz cans the whole thing.

Quick Reply: How common are transmission problems in 2005 Mustangs?