Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FOGGY Fog Lights...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default FOGGY Fog Lights...

Well…

Dealership just called…. Told me they will NOT replace the fog lights. Said that it is within their standards. There is NO TSB on it, and few customer complaints.

A matter or curiosity, there is a GT on their lot, and the fogs in it are the same as mine (foggy).

So, I have to wait until there is a TSB out on them before I can get them replaced.

The service rep believes that Ford changed the bulb because Mustangs built before May have clear clean fogs and ones built in May, June and July are foggy.

This sucks!

IF you could help me – I would appreciate it.

If your fogs are clear, take a picture and post one here or send it to me rich_barbre@graduate.org.

If your fogs are foggy, take a picture and send it to me.

I have to gather proof that either they can be made clear and Ford needs to make mine clear, or that I am not the only person with the issue and ford needs to address the issue.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14231/73C64729D0604BA5913AC7DEA4517D60.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14231/296E64BC72B94CE59411D81CD5C777ED.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 PM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: FOGGY Fog Lights...

PW, I have yellow lens covers on mine now, but in my older pictures, mine look the same as yours! My car was built 09/15/04 too.
Just install some nice lens covers and you won't have to look at the foggy fogs!

Dave...
Old 10-25-2005, 08:06 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I just got off of the phone with "Ford Factory Customer Service".

She pretty much verified what the dealership said. The fog lights are within the factory specifications and they will not replace or compensate for them.

Wow... unbelieveable that lights like these are "acceptable".. so much for "Quality is job 1".... and they wonder why people don't want to buy American cars! [:@]
Old 10-25-2005, 11:30 PM
rickman

ORIGINAL: 05SatinSilver

PW, I have yellow lens covers on mine now, but in my older pictures, mine look the same as yours! My car was built 09/15/04 too.
Just install some nice lens covers and you won't have to look at the foggy fogs!

Dave...
LOL thanks dave!
love my Q-ball shifter!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:56 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

are you referring to the hazy coating on the reflective mirror behind the bulb? if so, i think this is done on purpose by ford on the fog lamps in order to get a more diffuse beam of light. rather than have a bright beam of light that just bounces off the fog into your eyes (this is why high beams don't help in the fog) a softer, more diffuse beam enables others to see you better and allows you to see as well as you can, under the less than ideal circumstances.

fwiw, the reflective coating on the mirror on my OEM fog lights is hazy, while the reflective coating on the headlamps is shiny.

i'm happy to take pics if you want, but just want to confirm that you're talking about the mirror, not the plastic/glass that covers the lamps.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:03 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Hmmm. Mine was built the first week of June and my foglamps do not look like yours. The reflectors in mine are shiny. 05sonicblue may have a point though. Pure white light is not the best for seeing in fog. Yellow is even better. I have noticed that the pattern from the fog lights is correct for fog lights. Low and wide. But I'm somwhat confused as to the reason for the discoloration on the reflectors on some cars.
I would suggest trying a different dealer or writing Ford to see what they have to say.
Keep us posted. I would be curious to see what the real answer is.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:37 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Yes - I am referring to the Reflective Surface of the Reflector.. NOT the blub itself... NOR the Lens.

I've been a carbuff for many many years (I'm an old fart!)

By defination, Fog lights are amber/yellow. DRIVING Lights are Clear in color.

Although Ford calls these Fog Lights, they are in fact Driving lights - -- and having already been in fog I will tell you as fog lights they suck!.. LOL

Also... Fog Lights are ALWAYS mounted as low as possible in order to shine UNDER the Fog. Driving lights are generall mounted as high as possible or as close to eye level as possible to assist with driving on crooked roads at night.

If Ford put that crap on the reflectors on purpose, the sure did a crappy job of it! It doesn't look like it belongs there, it looks like an accident!

Personally - I believe ford did make a boo boo, but the bean counters figure that so few people would complain that it wasn't worth the $$$ to expense a TSB on them, plus they are a cosmetic problem so they pose no danger to anyone. So, Unless enough people complain, I seriously doubt Ford will fix the issue untill they use up ALL the stock of assemblies that have already purchased from their vender.

Hell.. Ford is a prime example of many American Corporations - - if you can't make a product to meet specs... then simply lower your specs.... your customers will eventually lower thier expectations. OR.. they will go buy an overseas car.

I just LOVE my Mustang - - - I am slowly learning to Hate Ford.. lol
Old 10-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Exilenla
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

I just got off of the phone with "Ford Factory Customer Service".

She pretty much verified what the dealership said. The fog lights are within the factory specifications and they will not replace or compensate for them.

Wow... unbelieveable that lights like these are "acceptable".. so much for "Quality is job 1".... and they wonder why people don't want to buy American cars! [:@]

Hey PW I am pissed with Ford Too at the moment. as you will see in my post : https://mustangforums.com/m_762021/tm.htm

I will verify how my "Fog Lights" look once I have my baby back.

IN the mean time, can you please shoot me that # for Cutomer Service.

Thanks!

Brian

p.s. your right....... so much for the Job # 1 B.S.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:05 AM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

(I'm an old fart!)

By defination, Fog lights are amber/yellow.
having already been in fog I will tell you as fog lights they suck!.. LOL
PW, I've been in the Fog too. YOu Really need these covers! What a Huge difference!
[sm=exactly.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]
Dave...

[IMG]local://upfiles/12058/D48E59F0152E475799777A050EC2D8CA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I hear you guys regarding the covers... but I don't want to HIDE them... I want Ford to make my lights correct!

I have a fealing I'll probably be replacing them with some PITA lights.

I know there are some GT's out there with crisp clear lights, because I have seen them. So I am considering searching for junk yards with GT's in them to see if I can find a clear set.

Contacting Ford Company.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O.Box 6248
Dearborn, Michigan 48126
1-800-392-3673

The CSR I spoke with gave me another address to write to.

Ford Motor Company
Consumer Affairs Department
16800 Executive Plaza Drive
Dearborn, MO 48126

Quick Reply: FOGGY Fog Lights...