Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver Tire Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:36 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

What is that at the top of the photo? Are those mounted on your car?
Old 03-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
I guess mostly because I want them to last and the Super Sports have a worse treadwear rating. Are you saying the Super Sports would last longer than the A/S 3+ in the same driving conditions?
With alignment appropriate to the way you drive you ought to get much closer to 30,000 miles out of them. Like I mentioned before, I'm headed for about 15,000 miles out of the tires that have seen something like 20% track miles, which is probably harder abuse than anything short of frequent burnouts and a significant amount of dragstrip time. Should get double that in pure street driving.

Any tire that's stickier than the MPSS is going to wear faster then the MPSS.

How fast do you expect to accumulate the next 25,000 miles on this car? (which I don't know anything at all about, not even the year.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-06-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
With alignment appropriate to the way you drive you ought to get much closer to 30,000 miles out of them. Like I mentioned before, I'm headed for about 15,000 miles out of the tires that have seen something like 20% track miles, which is probably harder abuse than anything short of frequent burnouts and a significant amount of dragstrip time. Should get double that in pure street driving.

Any tire that's stickier than the MPSS is going to wear faster then the MPSS.

How fast do you expect to accumulate the next 25,000 miles on this car? (which I don't know anything at all about, not even the year)

Norm
It's an 06 GT. I drive about 5-7k a year. Mostly drive around 50-60 mph so not really city miles.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:09 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I can't wait to get rid of my current setup. Staggered may look cool but it sure as hellsucks for the track. Going 18x10 with 285/35 Michelin PSS. The current Nitto 555's are not bad tires but after about 10 laps they lose all grip, especially the front ones. I'm hoping the square setup will help with the understeer. Plus I kind of forced myself into switching by buying GT500 4 pot calipers which do not fit my current bulllits

I keep trying to find a cheaper alternative to the Michelins but at the end of the day you get what you pay for and I'm tired of fighting the car in the turns.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:12 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Hey guys,

I'm at a current dilemma with my tire situation. My car has only gone through 3 cycles of tires.

-Pirelli Pzero Neros. They weren't that grippy but lasted a long time

-Nitto N555. They were the popular tire at the time. I had them in staggered so couldn't rotate, and I know they will have a shorter life because of that... but those tires were just bad all the way around.

-Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. I loved these when new. I couldn't even break traction with them it seemed, and they were good in all weather. These tires were supposed to have the highest rating performance tire available. I think at the time I paid $330 each tire.

So my dilemma. I got 15,000 miles out of the Michelin, they are rated for 45,000. I had some inner wear on the front two tires that I did not notice, so those are down to the 2/32 wear bar. The rear tires are at 3/32. Michelin will only consider the fronts for warranty, but the rears will obviously need to be replaced at the same time. So first question, do I replace them all or wait until the rears are at 2/32 as well?

If I replace them all now... what tire recommendation do you guys give? I haven't tracked the car, it is a Daily Driver and I just need something that has reliable treadwear life and is going to stick when I need it to stick.

Thanks.

I'm looking to replace my OE Pirelli PZN's now. I got about 26K out of them but they're 7 year old now. So you would recommend the Michelin pilot? I'm a pretty easy driver and don't race but will take it up well over 100 on stretches on occasion. I rarely take it out during wet weather and never in the snow.

I have P245/45/ZR19 98 M&S now. Does anyone know if I can put a beefier tire on these rim or should I stick with this size?

Last edited by potman; 04-11-2017 at 02:15 PM.