Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Housing Leak Again

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Default Thermostat Housing Leak Again

Hey all! Been awhile since i've been around here, feels good to be browsing the forums again.

Mustang has been in hibernation for a little bit during the winter, but now that the weather is going to start warming up soon, I wanted to get her ready. When I put her away, I knew there was a thermostat housing leak that needed to be fixed. I really don't want to go with another plastic one, as this will be number 3. I want a permanent solution.
Has anyone tried this housing from Amazon? Has anyone tried this housing from Amazon?
I don't want to waste money on it if people say it's a bust. The reviews seem good on it.

Unless you guys have a good suggestion for a metal housing that has been tested through the forums! I'd much rather buy something that has been tested rather than taking a chance.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:02 PM
JimC

Many people have gone to the aluminum housing. Should be a couple of threads. Everyone who has done it has been happy.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 AM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

I was just looking at this on www.rockauto.com and the replacement they sell appears to be aluminum as well...it's what I'd go with.

Bill
Old 03-17-2017, 10:35 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I've also read several people going with the aluminum housing. Many years ago, a buddy helped me change out my thermostat housing and replaced with a plastic one. Unfortunately, the aluminum housing was not available at that time. 6 months later, there was coolant leaking onto my garage floor, come to find out my head gasket is leaking into the "V" of the engine. It's an external leak, so no damage to the engine, thankfully!
Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by SilverSport
I was just looking at this on www.rockauto.com and the replacement they sell appears to be aluminum as well...it's what I'd go with.

Bill
Rock Auto doesn't sell the aluminum housing. They carry the plastic one, just like the stock set up. Not sure where you are getting your information. I even checked their site and it is all the plastic that they show
Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 PM
SilverSport
1st Gear Member

I see I was looking at the part for a GT and not the V6...it is aluminum for the GT...
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...g/MIRH162.html

looks like the parts may be different from 2005 to 2007...sorry for the misinformation...

Bill

Last edited by SilverSport; 03-17-2017 at 10:04 PM.