Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well guys, I'm officially Mustang-less

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Oh my God, that's a totaled car in the US? Rofl, out here that's a fender bender. But then again labor is so cheap and cars so expensive due to taxes that the insurance wouldn't even consider totaling it even if the airbags deployed.

That car, for example would fetch around 16K US$. Someone offered me 18k for mine and I declined. With that I couldn't even make a down payment on a new GT, which by the way costs 62k US$ for a base GT.

I have an idea for you. Buy it back from the insurance company and make it a track car. Or sell it for parts on Ebay. Hell, I'd buy the whole interior from you if it's black. I hate the beige on mine. The rear bumper too.

It's a shame to see a car like that go.
NO KIDDING!!!!
Probably a write off because of labour costs...?
No ******* way is that a write-off!!!
thats bull!!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:23 PM
JimC

Hmm, $8500 in damage estimates on a car that the blue book is --- $8500. Why would the insurance company pay to fix it? They are going to pay the same whether they issue a check to the owner as a total or a check to the body shop for repairs --- and the risk is that as they take things apart they find more damage and now more cost.

I had a car that the damage estimate came in quite cheap after a roll over. So it was fixed. But the final bill was for 75% of the blue book, because every time they removed a panel or got in deeper they found more things to fix, and the insurance company by that time was so far into it that they finished the job. Had the estimate been close to >50% they would have sent me a check instead.

Let's say that the damage estimate on OP's car is $4500. That is still >50% of the blue book value. Cheaper for the insurance company, less hassle for them, to just send a check and be done.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:30 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
I test drove a 2017 GT Premium today. Man was it tempting! The 5.0 and 6 speed is sweet and the newer interior is awesome. I loved the Recaros! But then I stopped at chevy and saw a C7 Grand Sport (which i cant really afford). God is it a beautiful car.

Im going to ask about buying it. If its cheap enough I may. The interior is in great shape and its black. Seats are roush leather/suede with red stitching.

This pic is from a few weeks ago, when I listed it for sale.

OMG, I love the seats! Makes me want to get on a plane and buy it off the insurance, dismantle it and ship it back.

As for the Stang vs Vette, I really don't like the S550. It looks like a Hyundai Genesis Coupe, so I can't blame you for wanting the Vette, it's a beautiful car. Honestly, as much as I like Mustangs, I'd take a new Camaro over the S550. Even my 91 year old mother told me when she saw one on the street "My God, your car looks much more imposing than that one, is that really the replacement?" I couldn't help but laugh. The S197 is a hard act to follow for sure.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
OMG, I love the seats! Makes me want to get on a plane and buy it off the insurance, dismantle it and ship it back.

As for the Stang vs Vette, I really don't like the S550. It looks like a Hyundai Genesis Coupe, so I can't blame you for wanting the Vette, it's a beautiful car. Honestly, as much as I like Mustangs, I'd take a new Camaro over the S550. Even my 91 year old mother told me when she saw one on the street "My God, your car looks much more imposing than that one, is that really the replacement?" I couldn't help but laugh. The S197 is a hard act to follow for sure.
I got those seats several years back for around $500 I think. It was just the fabric portion so I had to take the factory cloth of and replace them with these. The front seats actually came with new padding as the roush ones have deeper bolsters. I definitely enjoyed them!
Old 03-28-2017, 02:29 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up Good luck

Originally Posted by Shadow7874
I've actually been looking at getting a C7. But I also keep seeing a new Mustangs that I really like. So I'm not 100% sure yet.

Im guessing there may have been some structural damage around the radiator supports? Airbags didnt deploy but I hit right on the passenger side of the grille and it hit above the bumper so all of the impact was right into that area. I was 50/50 on whether or not I thought it would be totaled when I looked at it.
C7's are nice!

Well, good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

What mileage was on that thing - probably the best thing that could have happened to you - now you have cash!
Old 03-28-2017, 06:08 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
What mileage was on that thing - probably the best thing that could have happened to you - now you have cash!
133K. It still ran great, but I have a feeling the clutch wasnt going to last more than another 10k. Im hoping my insurance doesnt jump up too much though. Thats my only worry. Ive got a clean record so hopefully its not too bad.

I was able to recover my radio, boom tubes, CAI, tuner, louvers, and blackout panel so that was a plus! I almost took my alternator too (I happened to have an old, bad one still) but didnt have the time. Hopefully I can manage to sell those off and come out ahead.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:58 AM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

Sorry dude! I totaled my 03 Mach 1 back in September of last year, when someone nailed me. I got like $11K from it, thanks to the mods.

I've just been driving my 93 LX and 2000 F-350 7.3 ever since. My 93 has a bad fuel pump right now, which I have a new one but just haven't had enough time to fix it yet. I'm currently deciding between an 07 GT500 and a 2012 GT. Both cost the same and have about the same mileage. I can't decide which one I want between the two, but I have around $20K in cash to play with.

Hopefully you get a nice upgrade!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

See if the insurance company will let you buy it back.

I did that with one of my cars and had my friend fix it and pocketed quite a bit of money. I think I paid them $500 to keep the car and they were happy I kept it.

That car is far from totaled in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:29 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by JimC
Hmm, $8500 in damage estimates on a car that the blue book is --- $8500. Why would the insurance company pay to fix it? They are going to pay the same whether they issue a check to the owner as a total or a check to the body shop for repairs --- and the risk is that as they take things apart they find more damage and now more cost.

I had a car that the damage estimate came in quite cheap after a roll over. So it was fixed. But the final bill was for 75% of the blue book, because every time they removed a panel or got in deeper they found more things to fix, and the insurance company by that time was so far into it that they finished the job. Had the estimate been close to >50% they would have sent me a check instead.

Let's say that the damage estimate on OP's car is $4500. That is still >50% of the blue book value. Cheaper for the insurance company, less hassle for them, to just send a check and be done.
Yep, this. Exact same type of accident happened when my wife was rearended in our Ford Escape. Hyundai Elantra went under the rear bumper, no real damage to the escape but the hyudai looked similar to the Ops stang. Elantra was totalled.

And yea, any time you see the hood fold nearly in half, there's structural damage to the hinge area which is on the frame...of a unibody vehicle. Fixable yes, worth fixing vs the value of the car? That's where the decision to total comes from.