Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveline Noise / Clunk Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 11:27 PM
hobbie1

Default Driveline Noise / Clunk Automatic

For months now on and off when driving I get a driveline light clunk from time to time. This starts a few miles after I drive off from home.

I have read in the past others having this problem with the automatic. I recently had the Maximum Motorsports Road & Track Box for 2011-2014 Mustangs. Since the car was modified Ican really hear the noise. The isolation of the old suspension masked a lot of the clunk.

Any ideas? Should I go to a single piece drive shaft?
Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It could be a combination of things. Incorrect preload on the Pinion from the factory (if it was clunking from day one). Two piece drive shaft play (carrier bearing worn), incorrect pinion angle angle. Has the suspension mods lowered the car? If so, definitely have the pinion angle checked out.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:30 PM
hobbie1

Originally Posted by Derf00
It could be a combination of things. Incorrect preload on the Pinion from the factory (if it was clunking from day one). Two piece drive shaft play (carrier bearing worn), incorrect pinion angle angle. Has the suspension mods lowered the car? If so, definitely have the pinion angle checked out.
Yes it was lowered with the Maximum Motorsport Box Kit - the noise comes and goes and was doing it before I lowered it. I can just hear it more now with kit installed. With the kit you hear a lot of noise - MM says on their site you will hear some noise as the damping put in place was removed along with the old suspension parts, the price you pay for outstanding cornering.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by hobbie1
Yes it was lowered with the Maximum Motorsport Box Kit - the noise comes and goes and was doing it before I lowered it. I can just hear it more now with kit installed. With the kit you hear a lot of noise - MM says on their site you will hear some noise as the damping put in place was removed along with the old suspension parts, the price you pay for outstanding cornering.
That is usually the case (reduced dampenging of NVH). If you can, get the vehicle up on ramps or load the suspension while it's up in the air, shake the drive shaft around to see how much play it has. Especially around the center support. You may find you can duplicate the noise.