Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Part opinion

Hey Guys,

As seen in the thread below, I finally figured out what was causing my clunking and creaking noise. It was the front sway bar and end links. I am not sure how it happened as I replaced the end links last November and it didn't get rid of the noise. But I took them off and all noises stopped. So I guess the struts were bad too and while I wad driving with bad struts it cased excessive wear to the end links?
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...questions.html

What do you guys think of the parts in the pictures? One of the end links looks like it exploded at the boot. The other looks fine. The swaybar bushings don't look bad, but I am not really sure what to look for as signs of a bad bushing besides it literally falling off. What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Part opinion-img_20170618_171601.jpg   Part opinion-img_20170618_171608.jpg   Part opinion-img_20170618_171615.jpg   Part opinion-img_20170618_171623.jpg   Part opinion-img_20170618_171645.jpg  

Part opinion-img_20170618_171708.jpg   Part opinion-img_20170618_171726.jpg  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Rubber bushings can shrink or become stiff to fail. Cracking is usually from the stiffening so it's not usually the cause but an outcome of the cause which is the stiffening.

The clunking went away when you disconnected the sway bar links because the sway bar (and sway bar bushings) weren't being moved around anymore. I'd replace the sway bar bushings and links since you have it all out. The bushings aren't expensive and was the main cause of my clunking. Like yours, they looked ok but were a bit stiff/shrunken. Someone else on the forum had the identical experience, replaced everything but the bushings...replaced the bushings finally and viola, clunk gone.

And a tip for when you put the bar back in.

Put the bushings on first (duh), then attach the end links to the bar and torque the nuts down before you put the bar with the links attached back into the car. You will not be able to get the 85 ft/lbs on the Link to bar once the bar is in the car because there won't be enough clearance. Link to strut is easy.

Last edited by Derf00; 06-28-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Never seen parts look that bad in 7 months.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:34 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bstang14
Never seen parts look that bad in 7 months.
Kind of what I was thinking.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:40 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Rubber bushings can shrink or become stiff to fail. Cracking is usually from the stiffening so it's not usually the cause but an outcome of the cause which is the stiffening.

The clunking went away when you disconnected the sway bar links because the sway bar (and sway bar bushings) weren't being moved around anymore. I'd replace the sway bar bushings and links since you have it all out. The bushings aren't expensive and was the main cause of my clunking. Like yours, they looked ok but were a bit stiff/shrunken. Someone else on the forum had the identical experience, replaced everything but the bushings...replaced the bushings finally and viola, clunk gone.

And a tip for when you put the bar back in.

Put the bushings on first (duh), then attach the end links to the bar and torque the nuts down before you put the bar with the links attached back into the car. You will not be able to get the 85 ft/lbs on the Link to bar once the bar is in the car because there won't be enough clearance. Link to strut is easy.
Do you know how much to torque the bolts around the sway-bar bushings?