Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major Water Leak #2

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 07:15 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Major Water Leak

Hey Guys,

Before I begin, yes I have read the TBS about the water leak, but I think mine is in a different place.

So much water is coming in that I might as well leave my windows open. The cabin filter area is not clogged and does not fill up with water. Whenever it rains, even a little, it fills the passenger side foot well. Just after it rains, if I turn hard enough, I will see it dump into the foot well from under the dash. See the attached photos, you can see some wet metal up by the black foam pad at the very to of the dash. I have watched it poor down from there during a down poor when I was driving. Does anyone have any idea how the water is getting in there?

Water also seems like it might come from where the door connects as I get water on the "Mustang" plate. There is an opening that runs from the length of the door, but I really don't think that is the source of the problem, just a spot some water gets when its coming in as I don't see it really coming in much here.

I attached some photos from the hood area to see if it helps at all at determining the hole. It looks dirty, but I spent some time cleaning it to make sure that wasn't the issue. A few of the pictures show the plastic piece where the guard goes over the top is missing on the far passenger side. I have the piece, I just took it out to clean it off. As far as I can tell, nothing is missing. And I re-secured the foam to the guard (the picture shows it coming off.)

This is really frustrating me as I can't see to figure this out. Any help would much appreciated. I am hoping its a simple solution such as, put some 3M tape here, or put some culk over this hole and all water will redirect where it is supposed to go.

Thanks a bunch.
Attached Thumbnails Major Water Leak #2-footpad_edited.jpg   Major Water Leak #2-doorslot2_edited.jpg   Major Water Leak #2-dashpad_edited.jpg   Major Water Leak #2-doorseal.jpg   Major Water Leak #2-img_20170520_135122.jpg  

Major Water Leak #2-hoodaboveview.jpg   Major Water Leak #2-hoodview_rubberremoved.jpg   Major Water Leak #2-hooddirty.jpg   Major Water Leak #2-windshieldguard.jpg  
Old 07-04-2017, 07:20 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Major Water Leak #2

Hey Guys,

I have a leak in my trunk. I am not sure if I should fix it by just plugging the hole as it seem to be coming from between two metal plates.

I discovered this when stuff was getting wet in my trunk. Turns out, this must have been going on for a while as it is getting really rusty in my rear wheel well.

You can see from the pictures there is a black line of dirt coming from between two metal plates. I included a picture, but its hard to see the water line that runs from that spot to where the water pools. I think it is coming from where the rear window runs water off since it bring dirt in and not just plain water. But I can't seem to find a hole in that area either. Yes, I do clean it out a couple of times a year.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Major Water Leak #2-trunkfullview.jpg   Major Water Leak #2-trunkcloseup.jpg   Major Water Leak #2-trunkcloseup2.jpg  
Old 07-04-2017, 07:23 AM
JimC

Your pictures didn't attach
Old 07-04-2017, 07:26 AM
JimC

Found your pictures. You started two different threads on this so I merged them.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:24 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Found your pictures. You started two different threads on this so I merged them.
Why? It was two different places/issues?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:40 PM
JimC

Yes, you didn't add to your thread but rather started a new thread.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:48 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

That retainer that came out with the cowl screen is your source of water intrusion. That is supposed to be sealed to the body. Do a search on youtube for "mustang water leak", and you will find that retainer along with the over the door weatherstrip. As for the trunk looks like body seam failure.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:44 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by artsvettes73
That retainer that came out with the cowl screen is your source of water intrusion. That is supposed to be sealed to the body. Do a search on youtube for "mustang water leak", and you will find that retainer along with the over the door weatherstrip. As for the trunk looks like body seam failure.
Alright, I will check out some videos.

For the trunk, could i just put some culk in the seem to prevent it from coming into the truck or should I take it to a shop?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

All those water leaks have me wondering if your car had been damaged in two separate front & rear accidents and improperly repaired sometime in the past.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:53 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger
Alright, I will check out some videos.

For the trunk, could i just put some culk in the seem to prevent it from coming into the truck or should I take it to a shop?
If you have a body shop supply store close get some 3m seam sealer. It comes in a caulk tube that fits in a standard house caulk gun.