Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Exhaust Question

Old 07-30-2017, 03:42 PM
Daniel Aguilar

Default V6 Exhaust Question

I have a 2006 V6 with high flux Pypes cats, and Pypes True Dual mid muffler design system. My car doesn't have supercharger or turbo.
I'm looking to get some headers and I understand that the long tube headers would be the best option for a naturally aspirated Mustang... right? Haha But if I got the long tube headers I would have to do some altering and adapting to get them to fit and quite honestly if I have to do it I will, but I don't love the idea since there is no warranty it will work!

So my question is:
Would Short tube headers work as good or at least work good for me? I mean, would having short tube headers 1-5/8 in. (Probably from Pypes) be an upgrade for me or would I stay the same or similar?

I'm interested in the effects on the areas:
-Sound
-Performance

I don't know much about headers so I better ask haha thanks!

Last edited by Daniel Aguilar; 07-30-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:58 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

I have the Pypes shorty headers and i am supercharged. Though long Tube may be better you will be fine with the shorty's

with the long tubes you are going to lose your cats and will get a check engine light on as well.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:18 AM
Daniel Aguilar

Originally Posted by JJHoover
I have the Pypes shorty headers and i am supercharged. Though long Tube may be better you will be fine with the shorty's

with the long tubes you are going to lose your cats and will get a check engine light on as well.
Thanks for the relpy, btw your car looks awesome!
Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Aguilar
Thanks for the relpy, btw your car looks awesome!
thank you
Old 08-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If you are worried about emissions, depending on the laws in your state county, you might be able to get away with LT's and high flow cats.

Long Tubes are better for performance because they help increase the scavenging effect of the exhaust stroke. Better scavenging effect means you get more fresh air/fuel on your intake stroke which translates to more power on the power stroke.

LT's achieve this because they have a higher volume capacity than OEM manifolds or shorty's, have fewer bends, and offer a longer distance before a connection to the cooler exhaust pipe is made. The longer connection keeps exhaust gases at temps higher for longer which adds to speed at which exhaust gases leave the motor (also adding to the scavenging effect).
Old 08-01-2017, 11:59 PM
Daniel Aguilar

Yeah, that would be ideal, though im not sure that set up would fit, since the LT require some modding to fit the Pypes cat back set up and NO cats, so the LT plus the cats plus the Pyes cat back I dont know if it fits hehe
Old 08-03-2017, 07:36 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

I would make sure you keep the cats, I have heard clips of 4.0's with no cats and they sound like ****. Also even though Florida has no emissions inspection it is still illegal to the tune of a $2500 fine to operate a vehicle with no cats.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by JJHoover
I would make sure you keep the cats, I have heard clips of 4.0's with no cats and they sound like ****. Also even though Florida has no emissions inspection it is still illegal to the tune of a $2500 fine to operate a vehicle with no cats.
That sound is also affected by what type of crossover pipe is used. Most V6 exhaust systems are X type pipes. GT's use a H pipe.

A X crossover pipe will yield a raspy racy sound. H is a more traditional burbly sound. While X works ok for V8, it can make a V6 sound raspy like an import ricer with a coffee can muffler.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/musta...s-x-pipes.html
Old 08-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Daniel Aguilar

Yeah I agree that cats have to stay, because of the reasons you guys mentioned and because I spent already $200 on the high flow ones, im not planning on throwing that away just like that haha I need to figure out how to fit everything in there, but the panorama seems darker for that plan every time i try to come up with a plan lol Most likely will have to stick with the stock headers, there isnt much to do really haha
Old 08-09-2017, 06:48 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

personally I would just go with the shorty headers, there will be some performance gain as well as a different exhaust tone. Also a simple bolt on instalation

Search this Thread