Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 PM
swodo

Default Outside winter storage

Thinking of storing my GT Convertible outside this year. Minnesota can get pretty cold and snowy.
I'd use a car cover and put the battery inside on a tender. Think there's any problem with snow weight on the convertible top? Or the constant heating from the sun followed by below zero nightime temps under the cover? Just not sure this is a good idea. thoughts?
Old 10-21-2017, 05:35 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Probably not a good idea with the wind whipping around. I would put it in the garage if you have one.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:47 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

You must have a reason to do this thing. I'd hate to do it myself. I just saw that the US is going to have a warmer and dryer winter than usual which may help you.

is there away for you to put the car close to a building or structure? are you a handy fellow can make some kind structure around your ride to keep the cover and such away from the paint and car? Use a trap or two instead of just throwing the cover on the car directly and crossing your fingers. in the motorcycle world I read once about putting a lightbulb under the cover to keep the moisture down. I've seen pictures of "snow" and know it can get heavy, I'm thinking you do not want it piling up on your car, warmer winter or not.

FWIW, I hope you can work out your issues, I'm pretty fond of cars, and my '05 GT quite literally looks brand new. Do you have any of those public storage places within a reasonable distance? Maybe you can find one that your car can stay in?