Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

full-body vinyl wrap

Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 PM
jAAAmes
2nd Gear Member

Default full-body vinyl wrap

would anybody know or have an idea on how much this would cost? ive always liked the look of flat black finishes on cars, i would imagine its cheaper than a full paint job but i have no idea.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

it would be cheaper... but it would not last near as long... sorry i couldnt really help with price, but you might want to consider paint, if you just want to see how it looks to test it, then yes do vinyle, but if your 100% positive its what you want, then might as well go for it and paint it, again, vinyle will peel, especially if you do the whole mustang, there would bound to be an imperfection somewhere and eventualy it would bubble or rise, and obviously they wouldnt have a complete car wrap so they would use sheets, which means there would be seems that have a potential to peel/crack/ seperate and eventually you may even have a gap. not trying to shoot down your idea, im just saying def do your research on what both have to offer.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:11 AM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

I just did one this past weekend.

It's rather thick vinyl compared to what you're used to and is rated for ten years. It was less than $3,000.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jAAAmes
would anybody know or have an idea on how much this would cost? ive always liked the look of flat black finishes on cars, i would imagine its cheaper than a full paint job but i have no idea.
It is pretty sweet looking but do expect to pay almost 3k-4k depending on the install rates.

Here is a Carrera GT, done last year.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Your looking at 4k, without door jams and engine bay
Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

That is a good job on those cars, but it's just UGLY! They went from shiny nice looking to dull and boring. They almost look like their at the stage just before it's time for paint. Like they're unfinished or something.

Matte colors are fine for small pieces here and there (spoiler, lower side skirts, etc) but an entire car/bike looks horrible.

I dislike gray cars A LOT but matte is even worse.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

Those look pretty nice. I'm a sucker for the Satin black look

I was looking to wrap my hood in satin black and the vinyl shop quoted me 300 bucks. I woulda have pulled the trigger, but I came across an actual Mach 1-ish type vinyl I was looking for.

Good luck with whatever you choose OP
Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Not a good look on those cars
Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Body wraps invariably look great from a distance but the installers skill level plays a huge part. I've seen some truly nasty commercial wraps with badly cut lines, folds, patches.. yech.
The other thing is that you MUST bank on the fact that the paint job is going to suffer from cuts where the installer has to cut the vinyl round sharp body lines, corners, handles, locks, any obstacle really.
Ironically one of those Porshe pics above shows the installer cutting the vinyl on the car <Horror> !!!

I will not listen to an installer that says he won't damage the paint when he cuts vinyl on a car, and nor should you............

Last edited by marcuskeeler; 02-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thedrod
It is pretty sweet looking but do expect to pay almost 3k-4k depending on the install rates.

Here is a Carrera GT, done last year.

I'm sorry, it's UGLY! They took a perfectly beautiful car and made it look like it was resurrected from a Junk Yard! Why on Earth would you want to wrap your whole car a Satin finish is beyond me, but I guess there are some out there who like the dull, faded look. I must say you are probably in the minority, because most would think it looks hideous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: full-body vinyl wrap