Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those that bought an s197 new

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:24 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Default Those that bought an s197 new

So for all of you that bought an s197 from fall 04 til around 2010, How do you feel about the car? How has it held up? are you sick of it?

I remember when they came out how rare and elusive it was for those first 2 - 3 times seeing them in person in 2004. Now they feel like they have no aged well. My friend has one but he is in no way a car guy.

Hows the power compared to todays cars? To me they really look dated for some reason and the NE sn95 still holds up nice if its in good condition (minus the interior)

I am considering going back to a Ford and really like the 2011 - 2016 models but the price on the 1st S197s is so low.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

its underpowered at 300 hp compared to todays sports cars but i still love mine. only 55k on it and its held up quick good imo
Old 11-24-2017, 01:33 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

05~09 have the best style than the newer than 10+, i think...
interiors are getting dated now, but ones with Interior Upgrade pkg. (like mine) are still attractive with satin silver finish;

engines are pretty reliable, but basically 100hp less than now;

old-style suspension is fine on smooth roads;

ZERO room in the back seats for friends unless they are petite girls;
but that's average;

radio is ancient as can be;

my body with a new engine & interior would be perfect, in my humble, correct opinion.

Last edited by Gravydog316; 11-24-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:34 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by howarmat
its underpowered at 300 hp compared to todays sports cars but i still love mine. only 55k on it and its held up quick good imo
I guess it's easy for people to forget:
Took delivery of my S197 2011 GT500 in July 2010.
Factory rated @ 550 ( crank ) hp, it put down 481rwhp.
Looking @ the current S550 line-up, including the 2018 MY GT350/R, Ford's top hp offering is 526 !!
.....Since the thread topic is through 2010, Ford's 2014 halo car, ( also an S197 ), can't be mentioned.

Last edited by 1 Alibi 2; 11-24-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:39 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I have a '05 GT in Screaming Yellow. Just about 81k on it. I've taken excellent care of it, Amsoil, a CAI with a Diablo Tune. Inside and out looks damn near new. Been fortunate read about folks with a myriad of issues over the years. So far I have suffered a pinion seal leak, and fuel pump replacement which appeared to help it was better than the OEM pump. At any rate, I love driving it whenever I can. I reckon a newer, hotter model would be nice. I have no clue, but, the way the car responds to throttle I keep thinking it is stronger than most. Even at highway speeds, in 4th you tickle the throttle and the front goes up and the back goes down. FWIW

Just wanted to add, for the hell of it. Had a roommate with bucks back in ''71. His grandmother bought him a '69 Camaro 396 off the showroom floor, SS model. Came to pass that it was fast, very fast, and that he crystallized a valve spring and in the day they had a longer warranty on the car. Dealer called him up, asked where he got the motor, not happy. Turned out it was loaded with a Factory Experimental powerplant! Some people get all the luck!

Last edited by algregory; 11-24-2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Camaro Story
Old 11-24-2017, 05:06 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Bought a 2008, still like it although it has very left in it that's still stock. It was a great platform to mod. I said was because parts are starting to get difficult to find. Coyote 5.0L is currently the easiest powertrain to mod with parts availability, but I'd say get what you like the looks of, then give it the power you desire.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:46 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I bought my '08 GT early in 2008 - had it built to order and waited the six weeks or so for it to show up at the dealership. I still enjoy driving it, even just running around town on errands.

When I bought it, the S197 chassis had started its take-over of SCCA's F-Stock autocross class, and cornering & handling has always been my top priority over any of the other reasons a 60 y/o might buy a V8 Mustang. And with a few - there really are only a few - mods to the suspension and the wheels & tires comprising most of them, it hasn't disappointed me. Not on the streets, or out on the road courses at HPDE events.

It's not as fast as the newer cars, not is it as packed with "features". And you know what . . . I don't miss any of what it doesn't have (don't even use all that it does have), and I actually prefer its relative simplicity. No touchscreens, no EPAS, no AdvanceTrac, no "drive modes", no navigation, probably lots more new stuff I wouldn't use and am happier not having.

I'm ready enough on the track to have at least another 150 HP under the hood, but wise enough to know that I don't have to have it to enjoy the car.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-24-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

Bought my 07 new, just turned 23K on the odometer. I store it in the winter, and two years ago bought an 01 SLK roadster, which I drive about as often as the Mustang, and keeps the mileage down on it. I originally had to have the stang because I loved that retro look, and I still can't stop looking at it after I park it (I had a 66 in high school). True, I wish it had the 5.0 and the updated suspension, but I am not racing it, and it has enough power to get me in trouble (although I try not to get into any). I put two tone seat covers in, and I purchased the premium model, so the interior isn't too bad, wouldn't mind having Bluetooth on the radio, but I do have the aux input. I am still happy with it, and unless I win a lottery, I am not getting a new one.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Bought mine new in March 08, it was a late built 07 model that still has the two-piece plugs. Addressed that within the first 10K miles with Champion one-piecers and again at 75K with the same parts.

Aside from the usual front end suspension clunking issues that were addressed with FRPP Strut mounts and control arms, and stabilizer bar bushings/links, the car has been pretty solid...oh, I blew the auto tranny out at about 83K (car has 85K now). No other issues, it's been very reliable. Looking at a 2018 or maybe a 2019 to let the car get past it's new build issues.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:09 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I bought my 07gt new in the summer. I think june or july. I actually went to the dealer to test drive a car for a free fill up. After i got done test driving the car they tried to sit me down to talk numbers and of course making a sale. I told them i just wanted the free fill up so i could get on with my day. Well they offered to let me take it for a week. So I agreed. I drove it to cedar point and to my parents house over the weekend. So when i brought the car back to the dealer I was ready to buy. Actually had the check in hand already made out.

Before purchasing the car I was never considered a "car guy". But I found myself on this forum and another gaining knowledge. So here we are going into 2018 and I still have her. Not much left on it thats stock. It just rolled 50k the other day. Still a blast to drive. It has a touch screen alpine head unit in it. Which is nice since bluetooth tech has made great strides since the launch of the head unit. Bluetooth at the time was sketchy at best or atleast it was with my iPhone. Yes I had the first iPhone. I was and still am a total geek.

As far as wishing I had a different one or a newer one. Not really. I still love my car but it packs a lot of punch and she can show no mercy to these new gals on the street. I suppose my opinion would be different if my car was stock. But if it was stock I probably wouldn't be a stand enthusiast.