Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang Automatic Transmission not going into gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by emiiiiilyy
I haven’t seen or really noticed my car. But my friend did bring to my attention that I didn’t warm my car up that morning. It’s really cold out and I just turned it on and sped away in a rush to school. Could this have anything to do with it ?
Yes, ambient temperature could play into it, especially when cold. Transmission fluid expands a lot when hot vs cold and if you are borderline low, just warming it up could be enough to get moving.

Also, the valve bodies on these cars have a thermostatic valve. That means that fluid flow is reduced/cut off until the fluid reaches a certain temperature. Normally that's not a problem but, low on fluid and that valve being closed would cause a no-shift issue. The valve could also be stuck closed (if this happens when warm too).

Any leaks or anything under the car?

At 116K do you know if the tranny fluid has every been replaced in the car?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Derf is right on. Try letting the car idle for a while, maybe even as long as an hour. Then check the fluid level. If it's nice and red, add some if it's low.

Last edited by CPTCO; 01-17-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:09 PM
emiiiiilyy

Originally Posted by CPTCO
Derf is right on. Try letting the car idle for a while, maybe even as long as an hour. Then check the fluid level. If it's nice and red, add some if it's low.
So I just leave the car on for an hour and then check the fluids correct ? I just tried turning it on again and when I put it in reverse and step on the gas, the car would inch forward. But when put on Drive, the car wouldn’t move.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:50 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

when I put it in reverse and step on the gas, the car would inch forward
So you're saying the car moves forward instead of backward when the shifter is in R?
If the car didn't move at all regardless of whether the shifter was in D,1,2,3 or R, the cause would be a very low (or no) line pressure either due to a low tranny fluid level or a failed tranny oil pump. Since your car does move when the shifter is in R but not when it's in D, that suggests a different cause that can only be investigated and rectified by an auto tranny shop.
Before you do that, check the color of the transmission fluid. If it's pinkish, you could try replacing the fluid & filter (DON'T FLUSH) to see if that improves things. If it's brownish or black, the likelihood is that the clutch packs have burnt up and the tranny would need a complete rebuild.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:16 PM
emiiiiilyy

So. We towed my car to an auto shop and they told us that the car need a whole new transmission totaling $4,177. I really do not want to pay this price for a new transmission. Should I just ask them to replace the transmission fluid and the filter? And then see if that works?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:55 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

That seems like about double what it ought to be. Is this at a dealer? I'd call a few transmission shops.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:23 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

So. We towed my car to an auto shop and they told us that the car need a whole new transmission totaling $4,177. I really do not want to pay this price for a new transmission. Should I just ask them to replace the transmission fluid and the filter? And then see if that works?
What color is the fluid that's currently in your transmission? That'll give us an indication of how bad it is.