MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   07-09 Shelby GT500 or 11-14 GT? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/733224-07-09-shelby-gt500-or-11-14-gt.html)

DoubleClutch 02-24-2018 04:19 PM

07-09 Shelby GT500 or 11-14 GT?

Hello everybody,

So I am in a bit of a rut here, this spring I will finally be able to purchase my dream car after many many years but I dont know which to choose, this is a lot on the line here.

I have heard so many different things about both cars, I am a former v6 owner so this will be a huge step up - I still even miss my v6 at times...

But yes I am stuck on either a 2007-2009 Shelby GT500 or a 2011-2014 GT 5.0

Both opinions and facts are appreciated, i'd also like to see what other people are rocking here as I am probably going to stick around and ill keep you all updated as well. http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru.../icon_cool.gif

Thanks for your time!

proeagles 02-24-2018 08:13 PM

Two entirely different cars. The Shelby is in a class by itself value wise, collectible wise compared to a normal GT. Having said that, the 2014 GT is probably a better car mechanically. Just pick the one that pulls at your heart the most. It is your car after all.

spectreman 02-25-2018 07:52 AM

My 6th Stang was a '14 GT Track Pack version. Great car, possibly the most comfortable Stang I'd owned, w/excellent overall performance and quality in the build. Throw on some bolt-on performance mods, and the car was a killer, at least for me. It was, w/out a doubt, the best built Stang I'd owned.

And yet... it did not call to me.

Thankfully, I'm at a stage in my life where I can afford to change cars if I want to and I wanted to. See, the '14 was just too 'refined' for me. It wasn't the Stang experience I'd known for all my other Stangs- it rode too nicely, it didn't squeak, rattle or moan at times. It never complained. All the hard edges were softened. For all its goodness & performance capabilites and build qualities, it was kind of boring- again, to ME. Others' opinions may vary.

So I went a-shopping. At first, I just wanted to get another Bullitt, my favorite of all my Stangs & what I'd sold to get my '14 GT/TP. Then someone suggested I go drive a GT500. Well, the 10-14 versions were not specifically to my tastes and more than I generally wanted to pay so I started shopping '07-09 S197 gen versions.

To my eye, the S197 is still one of the best looking Stangs built and the GT500's of that gen exemplified that. Squared off, broad shouldered- yeah, that's what a modern American muscle car is supposed to look like.

And then I shopped, for about 3-4 months before I found the one I wanted. It was in Dallas, TX whereas I was in FL. We swung a deal & I couldn't be happier. The GT500 was exactly what I was looking for- the looks, performance, etc. and mindya, this car is my daily driver, not some garage queen. I've packed over 30k on her in less than 2 years. Along the way, she's acquired some tasteful mods that suit my daily driving purposes and she's now almost complete. I absolutely love this car, even though it is a step 'backwards' from the '14 GT/TP in some ways.

In comparsion, this is how I'd define the difference between my '14 GT/TP & my '09 GT500. The '14 was a wide receiver- fast agile, very strong, very athletic for its size whereas the GT500 is the fullback- broad shouldered, squat, powerful, w/loads of bottom end, instant-on torque and a thrilling exhaust note (if modded correctly) and supercharger whine.

So it's a matter of taste. My tastes went rugged American individualism. Not every day you see a GT500 rolling down the road. And rarely does a day go by when someone doesn't flash me a thumbs up or stops to talk to me about the car. That NEVER happened in my '14 GT/TP.

Best yet, prices are starting to drop on the '07-09 GT500. Lots of good deals out there on relatively low mileage GT500's, some in the mid $20's asking prices!!!

Hope this helps & good luck!
Lee

1 Alibi 2 02-25-2018 09:31 AM

Daily drive - GT
Weekend, cruises, car shows, - GT500

Dino Dino Bambino 02-26-2018 06:26 AM

Buy the one that gives you the biggest smile.

07 Stang 02-28-2018 09:53 AM

Which generation appeals to you the most? For me, I would have to go with the GT500. It is a highly sought after car in terms of respect, collectors and just darn good looking! Whenever I see one on the road I have to give it the thumbs up! My brother in-law has a 2008 and simply ♥ it!

FoshJowler 02-28-2018 11:52 AM

That's a tough one. I actually have an 06 and an 11 GT, and naturally the newer one is much better. It's amazing how the 2011 can make the 06 feel like a truck.
If all you plan to do with it is go for a cruise and show up at car shows, maybe a little drag racing, the Shelby is probably better. It's more of a "special" car compared to the 5.0.
If you plan to use it for any HPDE's, I would suggest the 5.0. The motor is very compliant to being beat on, has less heat soak, and the suspension is pretty impressive. Also for daily duty, repairs will be cheaper.
I believe the 5.0 is a better car overall, but if you have always dreamed of the Shelby, get it because if you don't you'll always wonder what if.

outceltj 03-01-2018 06:53 PM

you just need to test drive both cars and go from there

Jet02 03-13-2018 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by spectreman (Post 8616152)
My 6th Stang was a '14 GT Track Pack version. Great car, possibly the most comfortable Stang I'd owned, w/excellent overall performance and quality in the build. Throw on some bolt-on performance mods, and the car was a killer, at least for me. It was, w/out a doubt, the best built Stang I'd owned.

And yet... it did not call to me.

Thankfully, I'm at a stage in my life where I can afford to change cars if I want to and I wanted to. See, the '14 was just too 'refined' for me. It wasn't the Stang experience I'd known for all my other Stangs- it rode too nicely, it didn't squeak, rattle or moan at times. It never complained. All the hard edges were softened. For all its goodness & performance capabilites and build qualities, it was kind of boring- again, to ME. Others' opinions may vary.

So I went a-shopping. At first, I just wanted to get another Bullitt, my favorite of all my Stangs & what I'd sold to get my '14 GT/TP. Then someone suggested I go drive a GT500. Well, the 10-14 versions were not specifically to my tastes and more than I generally wanted to pay so I started shopping '07-09 S197 gen versions.

To my eye, the S197 is still one of the best looking Stangs built and the GT500's of that gen exemplified that. Squared off, broad shouldered- yeah, that's what a modern American muscle car is supposed to look like.

And then I shopped, for about 3-4 months before I found the one I wanted. It was in Dallas, TX whereas I was in FL. We swung a deal & I couldn't be happier. The GT500 was exactly what I was looking for- the looks, performance, etc. and mindya, this car is my daily driver, not some garage queen. I've packed over 30k on her in less than 2 years. Along the way, she's acquired some tasteful mods that suit my daily driving purposes and she's now almost complete. I absolutely love this car, even though it is a step 'backwards' from the '14 GT/TP in some ways.

In comparsion, this is how I'd define the difference between my '14 GT/TP & my '09 GT500. The '14 was a wide receiver- fast agile, very strong, very athletic for its size whereas the GT500 is the fullback- broad shouldered, squat, powerful, w/loads of bottom end, instant-on torque and a thrilling exhaust note (if modded correctly) and supercharger whine.

So it's a matter of taste. My tastes went rugged American individualism. Not every day you see a GT500 rolling down the road. And rarely does a day go by when someone doesn't flash me a thumbs up or stops to talk to me about the car. That NEVER happened in my '14 GT/TP.

Best yet, prices are starting to drop on the '07-09 GT500. Lots of good deals out there on relatively low mileage GT500's, some in the mid $20's asking prices!!!

Hope this helps & good luck!
Lee

Right on brother! I couldn't agree with you more. I drive an 08 Roush 428R, and it is everything you explained there. I drive mine part time, it's not a daily driver. Get what really pulls at you, or you could be wishing later you had got what you truly wanted.

Gravydog316 03-14-2018 05:40 PM

Shelby.