Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking noise from brake caliper or brake booster (not vacuum pump)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 01:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I've had it on my right front for about 2.5 years. I'd describe it as groan/creak.

It all started when I accidentally let my caliper dangle by the brake hose for a bit. I haven't replaced the hose yet because there is nothing visually wrong with it but, like the rest of you I've tried lubing the pins, pulling the pads and reseating them, etc.

I'm betting the hose although it's a stretch. That's the only other thing there that hasn't been tried and, given how mine started, is the next logical thing.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by artsvettes73
That creaking you are experiencing I believe is coming from the pivot bushing on the brake pedal. There is no vacuum pump on the mustang like 08 stated.
I think he meant brake booster? Anyways, it's not the pedal spring. If it's doing it, it is way louder with passenger window rolled down. I need to catch it when the car does it and take the wheel off to pinpoint it.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:55 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by artsvettes73
That creaking you are experiencing I believe is coming from the pivot bushing on the brake pedal. There is no vacuum pump on the mustang like 08 stated.
Did you watch the video? That's not a pivot bushing. You can clearly hear it
right there at the wheel, same with mine. I know what a creaking pedal sounds
like, and that ain't it...

Mine is much more prominent when coming to a stop, it's louder and lasts longer. When
stopped it's not as bad when I release and depress the pedal. There is no noise inside the
car. If coming to a stop, and I lightly press the brake pedal to stop the car, it's a lighter sound,
and only lasts till I release the pedal. It will continue to creak while applying continual forward
pressure on the pedal. Also, the harder you press, the louder the creaking. Once you come
to a stop, and the front end recovers, there is no noise on the upward nose movement of the car
while still holding the brake pedal. The front end doesn't have to dive either, while braking, for the
noise to occur.

If stopped, it will make the noise very lightly if you press pedal down more. Also without making
the car move, pulse the pedal with your foot and it's faint, but there. It comes from the front right
of the car, not under the dashboard. This guy, from his driver side... Also sounds like a rusty
door hinge...

With the brake on, and stopped, I had someone stand on the bumper, and bounce the car, no noise.
It only happens when applying the brake. It sounds like the pads are doing a continual "slip-grab" on
the rotor, but the car doesn't have any jittering, and the wheel is smooth, nothing gets translated
through the wheel.

I have done some searching, and it's popped up on other forums as well, and they haven't gotten
any solutions either. One guy replaced all the hardware on the effected caliper, and it didn't change
it. Another person switched the position of the pads, that fixed his. There was one that was going
to just replace the caliper, and the post just died after that, he never got back to anyone and said
he replaced the caliper and that stopped it. IT is more common than I had anticipated, but no
solutions. It is also not confined to the Mustang either, the 2005 Ford 500, and some trucks.
Two people said theirs were fixed by greasing the slide pins, if they're bone dry, it happens, but it
was tried and not fixed with others. Another said something about the pads crystallized,
and replacing them and the rotors fixed his... Another person said it's because the pistons are
dirty, and had to take his caliper off, remove the pistons, and clean it all out. Yet another
person said it was just an accumulation of brake dust in the calipers that lead to the creaking. He gave
them a good cleaning along with a high pressure rinse and they've been fine for a few months.

So, it's a common problem, not a pivot bushing inside the car...
Old 04-30-2018, 10:45 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

Okay so I guess I meant brake booster when I was saying vacuum pump. It appears that it installs from the inside of the care into the firewall with four bolts? Since the noise is heard mainly when the windows are down, it must not be the linkage/bushings to the brake booster. From there I assume it's just the brake fluid lines, no moving parts. So. I'll probably spend the hundred bucks on a new caliper. I'm out of ideas.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:33 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

At first I didn't see the video, thanks for pointing that out.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:19 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Gonna go over it again this weekend... IT is kind of annoying...
Old 05-02-2018, 01:52 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Started yesterday on the front end rebuild since I have 134,000 miles. I will do this in two stages because my 67 yo bones can't keep up with my mind any more. First I changed the LCR's and the struts, still have the creaking. As soon as I can get back at it, the front wheel bearings and the brake pads and rotor are next. I have gone thru two wheel bearings on the right front. My theory is that is the wetest side of the road in rain and snow.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:18 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

A guy over on www.stangnet said he had the same problem, and claims it was the caliper. One of the pistons was hanging up due to corrosion. His inner pad were uneven. Haven't got to my brake service yet, still recouperating.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:16 PM
kevsgt
2nd Gear Member

The noise has gone away. Not sure when, but perhaps it's related to the warm weather of summer (DC area). Either that, or the lube I applied around the piston back in April migrated to where it was needed.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:10 AM
Anthony Aviles

[QUOTE=kevsgt;8621426]I've had this creaking noise for at least a year. Sounds like it's coming from front left brake, but I tried lubing the caliper piston and it didn't go away. I read somewhere that it might be moving parts of the vacuum pump linkage, but I'm not sure how to locate and access that under the hood. Do I need to raise the front of the car?

The noise can be heard in this video.

Video creaky brake[/QUOTE
i have this same exact issue but for me its on the passenger front, I already grease the slide pins and brake pads and its still there and I couldn’t find anything on any other forums. But what i found out was rhat when i put grease on the brake caliper the noise was dampened. Not entirely gone but significantly quieter. I put grease on all the contact points the caliper touches on the brake pads and i put grease in between the caliper pistons themselves and the caliper. My creak noise was very very loud and now i can barely hear it.