MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   I bought my son his first car(2008 Mustang 6cyl) and have some issues (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/734396-i-bought-my-son-his-first-car-2008-mustang-6cyl-and-have-some-issues.html)

mclld 05-16-2018 02:27 PM

I bought my son his first car(2008 Mustang 6cyl) and have some issues

My youngest son will be driving soon and he was dead set on a Mustang. I found a good deal on a 2008 6 cyl for 3000 so I bought it but I knew of some issues before hand. The power steering pump has a leak, my code reader and Torque Pro says something about a mass air flow sensor, the AC has issues and I noticed none of the cigarette adapters work.

With the AC it didn't blow cold so I had my mechanic hook it up to his ac equipment and put some freon in it. It started blowing cold but he said something about one of the guages readings not being right and I need to flush the system out. I also think I might have a short or loose wire somewhere because when my son got in it the first day as soon as he either shut the door or sat down everything stopped blowing but then it started again at a different time. Also every time you first turn the vents/ac selector knob on I hear a loud clicking/knocking sound for a few moments behind the vents or dash somewhere.

The front door speakers sound about gone and I have a new set of Pioneer 6x9's I would like to put in but when I googled 2008 Mustang door speakers it shows to be a 6x8, will a 6x9 work? The car also didn't come with a keyless entry, am I better of buying some cheap aftermarket kit or does the car have the equipment already and I just need to get the clicker and have it programed?

I also noticed no lights shows what gear I am in by the selector, I am.not sure if it is suppose to have an indicator but the gears are close together and my son was asking about it

08'MustangDude 05-16-2018 05:15 PM

A/C - if it had to be added to, there is a leak. They are CLOSED, and Freon does
not get old or evaporate. Leaks will only get worse. There are no gauges for the
A/C system either, just fuel and engine temperature. Flushing the A/C or Coolant
will not fix that. IT needs tested for leaks.

Speakers are 6x8s, yes, 6x9s you would need to cut the doors to get them to
fir. Walmart has Kicker 6x8s... Can get a whole set on eBay for $120.00 with
harness adapters.

There is no dash indicator for gear, it's a regular console There is a button on the right
side of the shift lever, for O/D. When O/D is off, it will display on the dashboard, and 5th
gear is locked out. This is for when going up hills in "D" so you can press the button,
and downshift to 4th, and the O/D off light will be on. There is no individual light for the
selector either, you have an orange bar that moves. When you turn the lights on, then
it will glow; They kept it retro... I want one of these:

MAF can be changed, that's easy, but check wiring and clean the plug
first.

I got two KeyFObs on eBay for $5.00, they're EASY to program yourself, and
you do not need an original one to start the process:
1. Cycle your Stang from "off" to "on" eight times. With the final cycle landing in the “on” position.
2. You will hear the doors lock and unlock to acknowledge the Stang is in program mode
3. Press any button on the first keyless entry remote
4. Repeat on second and any other remote you want to program (up to a total of four)
5. Turn the key off when you are done
6. Test newly programmed remotes

It probably has it, they just lost the remotes, or they broke and tossed them. Not sure
if they all came with it or not. I thought they all do...

bl817 05-17-2018 02:36 AM

Welcome to the forum. as 08 said, the ac system is closed, if leaking, get that fixed. get a new power steering pump. check the fuses for the power points, each have their own and are hot all the time. clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and reinstall. its located just after the air filter box in the intake tube. 1 plug and 2 phillips screws. blend door actuators are whats making the clicking, there are 3, try to pinpoint where sound is coming from and replace. 6"x8" speakers both in the upper door and rear package tray. the keyless entry may or may not have been an option. the light for the shifter may be just burnt out. you can do a search for a window sticker, http://www.wikilender.com/ultimate-w...-decoder-tool/
put your vin in the ford box and get the window sticker with options for your car, pretty handy. depending on where you bought the car, I would see if they would fix these issues. good luck

08'MustangDude 05-17-2018 05:25 AM

That one also says I have a V6 Premium...

mclld 05-17-2018 07:24 AM

Both of the fuses are good for the power points

08'MustangDude 05-17-2018 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by mclld (Post 8623585)
Both of the fuses are good for the power points

The sockets do go bad, you need to check for voltage at the harnesses. So,
yeah, you have to remove the center console, VERY easy:
Remove the shifter bezel
Remove the two screws at the rear of the console, under the armrest.
Pull the ER brake up as far as it goes
Lift up the console from the back, and pull it off.

Then you can test the plug in the console.

Then, pull the two side trim panels off, straight back, at the radio bezel.
Remove all the bolts for the bezel
Pull the bezel out, pull the 12V harness off and test.

IF the harnesses have +12, then it's the sockets.
IF the harnesses do not have power, then it's wiring.

Derf00 05-18-2018 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude (Post 8623555)
A/C - if it had to be added to, there is a leak. They are CLOSED, and Freon does
not get old or evaporate. Leaks will only get worse. There are no gauges for the
A/C system either
, just fuel and engine temperature. Flushing the A/C or Coolant
will not fix that. IT needs tested for leaks.

Speakers are 6x8s, yes, 6x9s you would need to cut the doors to get them to
fir. Walmart has Kicker 6x8s... Can get a whole set on eBay for $120.00 with
harness adapters.

There is no dash indicator for gear, it's a regular console There is a button on the right
side of the shift lever, for O/D. When O/D is off, it will display on the dashboard, and 5th
gear is locked out. This is for when going up hills in "D" so you can press the button,
and downshift to 4th, and the O/D off light will be on. There is no individual light for the
selector either, you have an orange bar that moves. When you turn the lights on, then
it will glow; They kept it retro... I want one of these: https://youtu.be/P30nu3Kr8fg

MAF can be changed, that's easy, but check wiring and clean the plug
first.

I got two KeyFObs on eBay for $5.00, they're EASY to program yourself, and
you do not need an original one to start the process:
1. Cycle your Stang from "off" to "on" eight times. With the final cycle landing in the “on” position.
2. You will hear the doors lock and unlock to acknowledge the Stang is in program mode
3. Press any button on the first keyless entry remote
4. Repeat on second and any other remote you want to program (up to a total of four)
5. Turn the key off when you are done
6. Test newly programmed remotes

It probably has it, they just lost the remotes, or they broke and tossed them. Not sure
if they all came with it or not. I thought they all do...

I think he meant when the mechanic hooked up Manifold gauges to test the condition of the AC that one of the gauges didn't look like it was reading correctly. There are fairly standard pressures that should be displayed by the gauges regardless of the year make/model of the vehicle if it's running R134a and depending on level of charge and the condition of certain components like the compressor, orifice tube or txv valve etc.

For the light in the shifter, if you've ever noticed, the auto shifter on the floor does light up at night. There is a small light bulb in there that needs replacing.

08'MustangDude 05-18-2018 03:23 PM

I said: There is no individual light for the selector either, you have an orange bar that moves. When you turn the lights on, then
it will glow;
They kept it retro....

I know it lights up...