Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang has been shaking for months PLEASE HELP SOS

Old 06-25-2018, 11:49 AM
TheShakeyMustang

Default Mustang has been shaking for months PLEASE HELP SOS

Ok I'm gonna start by saying this issue has made me hate my car and want to sell it everyday. The issue is the steering wheel shakes at 60-70 mph and is the most annoying thing ive ever experienced in my life. Ive had the car at tire discounters 5 times the ford dealership 2 times i gotten new completely new brakes brand new tires ive had it aligned. ive had it Road force balanced 5 times at tire discounters and at ford. New control arms rear and front. I don't have any rotor clips on my rotor. ive had the rims checked for bends or being out of round. ive had all the tires checked for being out of round. I have 18 inch bulllit rims and 255 45r 18 in front and 275 40r 18 in rear. Someone please help me before i burn this car ive spent over 2500$ with no results
Old 06-25-2018, 12:21 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Wheel Bearings
Tie Rod Ends
Inner Tie Rods

Though, with bad tie rod anything, it won't align properly, they would have told you...
Almost no one checks for bad wheel bearings when aligning a car.

I have another car, shakes, and it is the front left wheel bearing. Gets worse when I
brake. This will be the 2nd time I changed them, only 25,000 miles on these ones.
You can balance the tire, but if the bearing runs out of round, balance won't matter,
and it will still "cup" wear your tire(s). Only one has to be bad for the car to shake,
as mine does at about 65, then it evens out again at 75, then really bad at 80+
If one of them has play in it, the same thing will happen, you get side to side
wobble instead of up and down bounce. They're easy to replace, and it it's
never been done may as well check them, and replace them...
Old 06-25-2018, 02:11 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Steering wheel shaking is front end issue. Does it happen only in a straight line or while turning (on/off ramps of freeways). That'll help narrow down left/right side.

I'm leaning towards wheel bearing(s) too. Easiest way is lift one or both front tires off the ground and grab each at 12 oclock and 6 oclock and rapidly push/pull the tire in opposite directions, repeat at 1 and 7, 2 and 8 etc.

12/6 is usually ball joint, 3 and 9 is usually tie rods, anything in between is wheel bearings most definitely.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:19 PM
TheShakeyMustang

It only shakes on the highway in a straight line. Just dropped it off at my local shop to do all the tie rods and front wheel bearings I'm praying it works as I am running out of funds to fix this car.. I also forgot to mention the rims are from American muscle don't know how reliable wheels from them are
Old 06-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

one other thing that just popped into my head, steering shaft linkage/u-joint. I'm curious what the shop finds though.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:02 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Derf00
one other thing that just popped into my head, steering shaft linkage/u-joint. I'm curious what the shop finds though.
You'd have a lot more issues with that too... Drifting... Play when turning
the wheel. Knocking noise when turning the wheel...
Old 06-26-2018, 06:06 PM
TheShakeyMustang

Ok I have a update. Just spent another 800$ to replace wear bearings and tie rods and what do you know it still shakes like crazy I hate this car...
Old 06-27-2018, 02:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
You'd have a lot more issues with that too... Drifting... Play when turning
the wheel. Knocking noise when turning the wheel...

Not necessarily on the noise. Depends on the severity. Just replaced the one in my Daughters 06 escape. Had a little play when traveling in a straight line, no noises and no drifting. To clarify the play, when going in a straight line, if you moved the wheel back and forth rapidly, the car would follow but it seemed a bit delayed or not as sharp/relative to the degree you were turning the wheel. After replacing the joint, it's very responsive now and the degree of turning is definitely more proportional and responsive to the input from the steering wheel.

My daughters wasn't that bad though. When compared to the new joint I put in, the old one only had some give at certain angles, it wasn't a sloppy mess that I know you're referring to where it would knock. I've seen those, and how someone lets it go that long is beyond me.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:18 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

800 seems steep when replacing the front wheel bearings and tie rods. Did the shop pull on the wheel as described by another poster on this thread to see if those things needed addressed? Do you have after market front end links? Just throwing new parts to solve a problem that hasn't been diagnosed properly isn't the best idea.

I too had a pretty good shake in my steering wheel. I attributed it to my skinnies being on and they will shake the steering wheel a bit. But even after I put my street tires on it would still shake. Similar to what you are describing. Pretty annoying. Anyway I learned to live with it as I could not find the problem and neither could the shop. One day I was pulling my car out of the driveway and I heard slight popping noise coming from the front end. I had remembered that I swapped out my front end links after installing a sway bar. That happened to solve my issues. One of the links was screwed up. Anyway that seemed to solve my issues. It seems odd that the front end links were the culprit since you wouldn't think they would have much impact on causing the steering wheel to shake at 60mph.

Originally Posted by TheShakeyMustang
Ok I have a update. Just spent another 800$ to replace wear bearings and tie rods and what do you know it still shakes like crazy I hate this car...
Old 06-27-2018, 04:47 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

We all said to diagnose the wheel bearings and end links, not just go replacing
them. You don't fix what's not broken. $800.00 is way too high for that work.

A bad camber angle can also cause a light shake, riding more on the
edge of the tire tread. Any abnormalities in the tires will cause shake.
Try over-filling the front tires, to like 39lbs, and run it, see if it has any effect
on the shaking. VWs are notorious for bad camber angles, and when I over
fill my tires, the shaking goes away. Plus, once the tires are worn on
the inside, over filling them will have them ride more on the center of
the tire, so I can get a few more 1000 miles out of them...

Other:
I have had a multitude of end link failures, none ever cuused wheel shake, so
yeah that is odd.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang has been shaking for months PLEASE HELP SOS