Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for V6 exhaust upgrade options

Old 06-10-2018, 01:36 AM
Markeleze

Default Looking for V6 exhaust upgrade options

Hi,

I'm new here, and to be honest I’m fairly new to the Mustang world. I have a stock 2013 V6 convertible that I was hoping to play around with a little until I get my degree and can experiment with a GT.

I’m looking for a small exhaust upgrade. Not something super loud, but maybe something to hear when I have the top down in the mountains or in the morning when I start my car. I’m hoping for a deeper, raspy note if possible. I've looked into a CAI and even an H-pipe as well, but I’m on a budget and frankly I don’t want to mod this car too much as it’s a daily driver and I hope to upgrade over the next few years.

My local muffler shops have suggested the Flowmaster 40 and Magneflow 14”, but others online suggest the Flowmaster super 44 or Pypes Pype-bomb.

I’ll be honest, I know absolutely nothing about modding cars, and being a daily driver, I don’t want to constantly have a lot of drone inside the cab. I’m also in California and from what I understand, that limits my options as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

The Borla Touring axlebacks sound like they're exactly what you're looking for:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/borla...ck-1112v6.html
Old 06-10-2018, 07:38 AM
JimC

My favorite set up on my 2006 was the X pipe and Ford GTB mufflers. No drone, nice tone, and relatively inexpensive.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I did just what JimC said, Pypes X pipe with GT Mufflers. Very satisfied with the set up.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:27 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

The Roush axlebacks are a great sounding relatively inexpensive boost to sound if you're just looking to go with just AB's. I got the trident motorsports AB's which aren't as loud as the roush, but is deeper.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Markeleze

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
The Borla Touring axlebacks sound like they're exactly what you're looking for:

https://www.americanmuscle.com/borla...ck-1112v6.html
I would love to install Borlas but the pricing is pretty steep. I wanted to keep my exhaust upgrade under $300-500 if possible.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Markeleze

Originally Posted by JimC
My favorite set up on my 2006 was the X pipe and Ford GTB mufflers. No drone, nice tone, and relatively inexpensive.
Would the GT mufflers bolt onto my V6 or would I have to have them installed at a shop?
Old 06-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Markeleze

Originally Posted by ucinn
The Roush axlebacks are a great sounding relatively inexpensive boost to sound if you're just looking to go with just AB's. I got the trident motorsports AB's which aren't as loud as the roush, but is deeper.
I just looked up Trident Motorsports and they look really interesting. How do you like them?
Old 06-10-2018, 05:27 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Markeleze

Would the GT mufflers bolt onto my V6 or would I have to have them installed at a shop?
I just realized that you said you have a 2013, for some reason I thought you had a 2005-10 V6. On the 2013 unfortunately the GT muffler is not a direct fit because the connector is a different size. It can be done but you need to change the mid-pipe. I had the MRT Interceptor for the GT on my 2013, but I had a completely different exhaust because I had a turbo on it - when I removed the turbo the shop was able to fabricate everything to fit NA with an adapter.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:01 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Markeleze

I would love to install Borlas but the pricing is pretty steep. I wanted to keep my exhaust upgrade under $300-500 if possible.
You might be able to find a pair of used ones in Ebay or Craigslist.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for V6 exhaust upgrade options