Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Mustang gt oil recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 AM
DGlass23

Default 08 Mustang gt oil recommendation

I’m new to the mustang forum world so bare with me guys. I recently purchased a 2008 mustang gt, manual with 104,xxx miles. The car came with cat deletes, hot rod racing cams and a 93 octane bama tune. The previous owner knew very little about the car, so Im basically on my own as far as the type of oil, coolant etc. I guess my question is should I use what ford recommends in there manual as far as the oil and coolant or should I be using something different since it is cammed and tuned? Thanks is advance!
Old 06-11-2018, 02:24 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Hard to say because it is so heavily modded. Coolant is not the issue though.
Some people switch to a higher grade oil because the motor has more miles on it,
but that's not always a good idea.

I use Castrol Magnetec 5W30 Syn in the winter, and Castrol 0W40 in the summer. Sometimes
the Mobile 1 0W40 is cheaper.

If you are in a hotter climate, summer, 5W40 (non diesel formula) will also be
okay. Your engine is going to run hotter with the mods, so a something W40
in the summer is a better choice.

I see people using Rotella 15W40 in their engines in the summer, but it's a diesel motor
oil, and it's formulated differently. Some gas engines can run fine on it, and some
will not. These are not a good idea to run in the winter though, they're too thick
for winter.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:21 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Don't think too much about what oil to use. What ever the previous owner has been using you can just keep using that. I would say that your car is mildly modified. Most importantly is changing your oil when its time and doing regular maintenance checks. If I were you I would change all fluids in the car. Change the coolant, tranny oil, motor oil, rear end oil, brake fluid.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:05 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DGlass23
should I use what ford recommends in there manual as far as the oil and coolant
Yes to both.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:44 AM
ZEN357
2nd Gear Member

Mobile One Synthetic High Mileage Oil. Use the weight Ford recommends. Go with a K&N Filter. As for coolant would check with a mechanic you trust to see if it's okay to convert it back to the old green stuff.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:49 AM
DGlass23

Alright, thanks guys! Definitely gonna flush all fluids out just to make sure everything’s is good. I’ve replaced the air filter and fuel filter as well. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 AM
DGlass23

I also forgot to mention, ive Been using the motorcraft oil, with the weight that’s recommended in the manual, with the motorcraft filter. I’ve done 2 oil changes since I bought the car and I’ve noticed both times I’ve used a quart (give or take) between oil changes, is this normal? I don’t abuse my car but I do hot rod some on the weekends. Should I maybe switch to the high mileage Mobil 1 since I’m burning some or just stick to what I’ve been doing? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:19 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

It can be normal, but it can be compression rings. Switching to the high milage
may lessen that consumption, but I would install a catch can if you're getting
that much blow-by.

So, It can be fixed or lessened by switching oil brand or grade.

When I had my '13 TDI, I used Rotella T6, and my catch can filled up almost two
times between oil changes. It's a 5W40 SYN diesel motor oil, about $22 for the 4 quart
bottle. I then switched to a cheaper brand, Delo400, also a 5W40 SYN, $20.00 for the
same 4-quarts. To my surprise, the catch can was barely HALF full between oil changes.
SO, yeah, the oil you use can make a difference.

Ran my 4.0 '08 Mustang 5000+ miles, and not quite a 1/4" of oil is in the catch...
It has 108,000+ miles on it.

Though, I put in a half a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer, the full synthetic one..
Old 06-13-2018, 04:02 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DGlass23
I’ve done 2 oil changes since I bought the car and I’ve noticed both times I’ve used a quart (give or take) between oil changes, is this normal? I don’t abuse my car but I do hot rod some on the weekends.
A quart of oil consumption between 5000 mile oil changes is normal. Just install an oil catch can on the passenger side, a valve cover breather on the driver's side, and cap off the vacuum ports on the intake manifold and the intake pipe. This will prevent crankcase oil vapors from contaminating the intake system and coking up the CMCVs.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:40 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
A quart of oil consumption between 5000 mile oil changes is normal. Just install an oil catch can on the passenger side, a valve cover breather on the driver's side, and cap off the vacuum ports on the intake manifold and the intake pipe. This will prevent crankcase oil vapors from contaminating the intake system and coking up the CMCVs.
That side controls EGR and Brake vacuum.

Quick Reply: 08 Mustang gt oil recommendation