Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 12:26 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Default need help with tire wear

i have michelin pilot super sport oem tire size. My rear tires are wearing more on outside then inside. To be specific the outer wear bar is the lowest, middle of tire wear bar has about 2mm less wear and the inner wear bar has about 3-4mm less wear.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:44 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Damn. You should take it to a tire/alignment shop and they can see what exactly would be causing that uneven wear. Do you do a lot of aggressive driving, or race the car on a track with turns? Does anything underneath the car look loose or out of place? Can you see from looking at the rear of the car if the wheels are at an angle?
Old 07-02-2018, 01:40 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

With a solid rear axle, there is little cause for abnormal wear.

Center tire wear is over inflation. There isn't an alignment issue that causes
center only tire wear, only over inflation.

High speed cornering will also show edge wear.

There are no castor, camber, or toe adjustments on a solid rear axle suspension.
All abnormal tire wear is going to be from bad or misaligned parts, or improperly
inflated tires. While, there is a castor setting for rear axles, once it is in, it
should never need adjusted. This changes the angle of the pinion.

A bad thrust angle will have bad tire wear, like out of toe, and that's bad suspension
parts, those that hold the axle in place.

This also puts the wheels out of toe. One side will wear inner, the other outer.

Bad axle bearings can put the rear wheels out of toe, because the axle is moving,
thus putting the tires on a slight angle when in motion. The axle will have pendulum
movement with bad bearings.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:31 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
Damn. You should take it to a tire/alignment shop and they can see what exactly would be causing that uneven wear. Do you do a lot of aggressive driving, or race the car on a track with turns? Does anything underneath the car look loose or out of place? Can you see from looking at the rear of the car if the wheels are at an angle?
Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
With a solid rear axle, there is little cause for abnormal wear.

Center tire wear is over inflation. There isn't an alignment issue that causes
center only tire wear, only over inflation.

High speed cornering will also show edge wear.

There are no castor, camber, or toe adjustments on a solid rear axle suspension.
All abnormal tire wear is going to be from bad or misaligned parts, or improperly
inflated tires. While, there is a castor setting for rear axles, once it is in, it
should never need adjusted. This changes the angle of the pinion.

A bad thrust angle will have bad tire wear, like out of toe, and that's bad suspension
parts, those that hold the axle in place.

This also puts the wheels out of toe. One side will wear inner, the other outer.

Bad axle bearings can put the rear wheels out of toe, because the axle is moving,
thus putting the tires on a slight angle when in motion. The axle will have pendulum
movement with bad bearings.
My last alignment was about 7month ago rear were in specs. I cant think of any other reason would cause this other than that one time during alignment, he used the alignment machine to jack the rear of my car up by the pumpkin and the front by the center of k member. With this tire i do drive more spirited around corner but nothing too crazy and no drag or autocross. The way its wearing it seems as if my rear axle is bent upward. Also i lied lol the inner wear bar compared to outer wear bar is about 1.2mm difference and the middle wear bar is somewhere in between.

Last edited by winkawak; 07-02-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:22 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

See if there is any play at the wheel bearings.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:54 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
See if there is any play at the wheel bearings.
i forget to add about 3k miles ago rotated my even wear front tires to the rear and now 3k miles later im already getting about 1.2 mm wear difference between inner and outer. Before i rotated the rear to the front i had about 5k miles and the difference were about 2mm inner and outer. Can this be characteristic of the tire? wheels/steering has no play as far as i know

not sure if its relevent but i do have a sub box and a 10"woofer in the passenger trunk corner but nothing on driver side. im still getting similar wear on both rear

Last edited by winkawak; 07-02-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:36 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Inner and outer tire wear would be an indication of bad camber, if on the front.

I can only guess now, the rear axle thrust angle is off, or it's not 100%
horizontal.

If front right tire has outer wear, and the rear left is inner, then the thrust angle
is to the right. Or, the axle is up higher on the left, tilting the right wheel out
to ride the outside edge, while the left rides the inside edge.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by winkawak
i have michelin pilot super sport oem tire size. My rear tires are wearing more on outside then inside. To be specific the outer wear bar is the lowest, middle of tire wear bar has about 2mm less wear and the inner wear bar has about 3-4mm less wear.

This wear pattern on both rear tires could have several causes. Hard cornering + slight underinflation or slightly positive rear camber is what first comes to mind. Hard cornering + wheels not quite wide enough for the cornering you're doing could be another. Or it could be a combination of all three.

Stick axles absolutely can have non-zero values for both camber and toe, and everything still works just fine as long as the axle splines aren't binding in the side gears.

Norm