Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang trouble with shifter - won't go in to gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 08:26 PM
mario117@live.com

Default Mustang trouble with shifter - won't go in to gear

So I drive a 2012 mustang GT, and the other night I was driving home, and I turned on my street and downshifted into 2nd gear when I suddenly hear a loud bang where the transmission is next thing I know the shifter won't go into any gear and it sounds like I'm dragging something. So I stop the car and see if maybe my transmission fell out or something, and no it's still there but the only thing I found on the road was a part of the chasis roof, my dashboard doesn't show anything wrong and the car is still idle like nothing is wrong. I pushed the car to my house (about half a block away) and left it parked with only the e brake. I haven't taken it to a mechanic to see what happened since I ain't got the money right now, but I at least want to know what's going on. The shifter is basically free not in neutral or any gear, and the clutch works because the car turns on fine so any help would be greatly appreciated. Only mods I have are an aftermarket clutch and flywheel, cold air intake, roush exhaust, off road h pipe and short shifter and a tune.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:40 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Are you able to engage any of the gears with the clutch pedal depressed, or does the shifter only stay in neutral?
I'm not sure if the problem might be the shifter itself (perhaps that's where that fragment came from) or a broken shift fork inside the tranny.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Does it move freely in any direction?
On my old car, the shifter had two cables going to it running through the center console. One day it popped and the shifter would only move forward and back and was stuck in 2nd gear... I popped the shifter boot off and looked down in the center console tunnel and noticed that one of those cables had popped off a bracket that was holding it down. Popped it back in and it shifted just fine...

Not sure if Mustangs have the same setup, but I'd look at the base of the shifter and its cables in the center console to see if perhaps something similar happened.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:27 AM
mario117@live.com

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Are you able to engage any of the gears with the clutch pedal depressed, or does the shifter only stay in neutral?
I'm not sure if the problem might be the shifter itself (perhaps that's where that fragment came from) or a broken shift fork inside the tranny.
Im not able to engage any gears it just stays free.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 AM
mario117@live.com

Originally Posted by GT Nate
Does it move freely in any direction?
On my old car, the shifter had two cables going to it running through the center console. One day it popped and the shifter would only move forward and back and was stuck in 2nd gear... I popped the shifter boot off and looked down in the center console tunnel and noticed that one of those cables had popped off a bracket that was holding i..t down. Popped it back in and it shifted just fine...

Not sure if Mustangs have the same setup, but I'd look at the base of the shifter and its cables in the center console to see if perhaps something similar happened.
Yes it moves free in all directions but I'll take at look at the center console maybe that'll do the trick