Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Leak - Driving me Nuts

Old 08-13-2018, 09:30 AM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Default Mystery Leak - Driving me Nuts

Hey guys. So, I have a 2005 V6 Mustang, and I have had for a while now, a mystery water leak inside my car. It is the drive side, on the floor, right under the gas pedal, under the carpet.

Now, I know the AC drain issue is the passenger side. I also confirmed today that water pours out of the drain on the passenger side of the transmission pan. There is an identical drain on the driver side of the transmission pan, but nothing comes out of that. I live in Florida where it rains a lot, and I use the AC on the highway (not around town/under 55 MPH). There was a period where it did not rain for a week, but I still had the pool of water under the carpet. I know it's under because only the bottom of my floor mat gets wet. I did use the AC a bit during that time.

What the heck is going on? I had compressed air blown in the both drains and nothing came out. I shoved a wire hanger in them and nothing came out. The cowl drains are 100% clear. This did start happening after I got my windshield replaced, but again, this happens regardless if it rains or not. What gives?
Old 08-13-2018, 03:21 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverStallion05
...........What the heck is going on? I had compressed air blown in the both drains and nothing came out. I shoved a wire hanger in them and nothing came out. The cowl drains are 100% clear. This did start happening after I got my windshield replaced, but again, this happens regardless if it rains or not. What gives?
There's your answer... The seal isn't complete, have them do it again.
I had concluded window seal before you said that, but then you said:
but again, this happens regardless if it rains or not. What gives?
So, water gets in when it's NOT raining, so where is the non rain water coming from?
If you are getting water in when it's NOT raining, is the A/C on? There is also an A/C
drain. I had one clog on me in another car, and water got on the floor on every right hand
turn...

Is it washing your car water? Still window seal...
Old 08-13-2018, 08:23 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

From what I understand, a clogged AC drian is supposed to cause a leak on our passenger side in these cars, but I'm not so sure. I don't think it's any seal, because I would probably be able to see that. Again, it's right under the gas pedal, as if my heel is leaking water.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:30 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

If you had the windshield replaced, another place to check is the cowl screen retainers. There is 10 of them all across the cowl, and are known to loose their seal over time and cause leaks. Their is a youtube video but I don't have the link
Old 08-14-2018, 11:12 AM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by artsvettes73
If you had the windshield replaced, another place to check is the cowl screen retainers. There is 10 of them all across the cowl, and are known to loose their seal over time and cause leaks. Their is a youtube video but I don't have the link
I did see that video, but it also happens when it doesn't rain.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:46 PM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

How are you drying out the carpet?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:51 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

How are you drying out the carpet?
I don't. 😞
I checked the floor though, and there is little rust. Once I find the source and stop it, I'm going to sand down the rust, prime it, and just shoot some random color paint over it to stop it from coming back.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:03 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

From what I understand, a clogged AC drian is supposed to cause a leak on our passenger side in these cars, but I'm not so sure. I don't think it's any seal, because I would probably be able to see that. Again, it's right under the gas pedal, as if my heel is leaking water.
That's good and all, but I said window SEAL, what they use to adhere the window to the frame.
They disturbed something, and that's causing water to get in on your side. If it did not leak
there before they replaced the windshield, then they did not seal the window properly.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:18 AM
artsvettes73
2nd Gear Member

Smile

I don't. 😞

I checked the floor though, and there is little rust. Once I find the source and stop it, I'm going to sand down the rust, prime it, and just shoot some random color paint over it to stop it from coming back.
Well that answers why your carpet is wet, without raining.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:57 PM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Well that answers why your carpet is wet, without raining.
Because I don't dry it? It dries itself the day of (usually), then comes back the next day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery Leak - Driving me Nuts