Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to quiet drone on muffler

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 02:51 AM
Eoli

Default RE: How to quiet drone on muffler

To bad MAC's sound way louder and meaner and make American Thunders sound like stock. Also even though they drone people driving by you here the drone and it makes it sound even meaner. I was just wondering how to slightly turn it down... the drone doesnt even bother me if i play some music and I get a much better sound then the barely different then stock Flowmaster sound. OH YEAH and I paid 200 bucks less for mine.
ORIGINAL: Adrenal

Besides the awesome sound, the main reason I bought the Flowmaster American Thunder Kit was that they don't drone!
Old 11-02-2005, 05:14 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Eoli

To bad MAC's sound way louder and meaner and make American Thunders sound like stock. Also even though they drone people driving by you here the drone and it makes it sound even meaner. I was just wondering how to slightly turn it down... the drone doesnt even bother me if i play some music and I get a much better sound then the barely different then stock Flowmaster sound. OH YEAH and I paid 200 bucks less for mine.
ORIGINAL: Adrenal

Besides the awesome sound, the main reason I bought the Flowmaster American Thunder Kit was that they don't drone!
I scare more people with these mufflers... They sound very much like a "Big Block" and turn people's heads...

Any other mufflers, other than straight pipes would sound "whimpy" to me...

Dave

[IMG]local://upfiles/15982/7F0A7F26CAE64C6E8018F36DAE620677.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-02-2005, 07:28 PM
SCstanger
1st Gear Member

^ Nuff said!! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 11-05-2005, 07:45 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

I scare more people with these mufflers... They sound very much like a "Big Block" and turn people's heads...

Any other mufflers, other than straight pipes would sound "whimpy" to me...

Dave
[IMG]local://upfiles/15982/7F0A7F26CAE64C6E8018F36DAE620677.jpg[/IMG]
AMEN Dave,
I was driving home from work the last night, In rush hour traffic (Washington, DC "66") and drove past a 05 Saleen,
He started to rev his engine, his mufflers sound hmm OK. Then I revvvved, Damed if he did'nt close his windows and dropped back I never seen him again.. I love the DEEP sound from the MAC's.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:53 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

Stang owners don't generally talk about putting MACs on their rides very often...

Maybe MACs are an undiscovered treasure of sound and aggression...

Let's keep them a hidden secret for now..

All the others are running Bassani, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, LP, etc. but I have not met another stang owner that has heard my exhaust that doesn't say:

"DAM!!! THAT'S A KICK *** SOUND COMING FROM YOUR PIPES"

I'm convinced!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: discofan

Stang owners don't generally talk about putting MACs on their rides very often...
Maybe MACs are an undiscovered treasure of sound and aggression...
Let's keep them a hidden secret for now..

All the others are running Bassani, Magnaflow, Flowmaster, LP, etc. but I have not met another stang owner that has heard my exhaust that doesn't say:

"DAM!!! THAT'S A KICK *** SOUND COMING FROM YOUR PIPES"

I'm convinced!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Dave,
I pulled into a 7-11 yesterday morning and I gave the engine a little rev just as a Fairfax Police officer was comming out, He looked and smiled I got out and he started by saying "Wow I love that sound of your exhaust" from there i started to show him all my Mods and we talked for 15 min. he now wants a 06 GT I converted a life long "Chevy Man" to the stang... Dam I love the Macs (Except the drone)

Note that he stated that the exhaust sounds great... not to loud. I had SLP Loudmouths before, They are Loud and Raspy
the Mac's are more of a Deep Bass rumble, at WOT not as loud as the SLP's but Deep roar, Turns heads
Some say "is that a Big Block Motor" I just Smile and say Nope Just American Muscle
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

In closing, I would like share the knowledge I have learned over the past few month doing research on this topic..
If you want the Loudest raspy growl Get SLP's or Bassani's (No Drone)
If you want a loud low pitch growl, thats Corsa or Borla / Steeda (including Ford Racing) (No Drone)
If you looking for somthing a little louder and deeper than the stock Muffler, Flowmaster. (Drone)
If you want a medium to low pitch sound and louder than the Flowmasters, Get JBA or Magnaflo (little Drone)
But, If you want the best Low pitch Muscle Car Sound, Get the macs (Drone) with JBA Shorties and Bassani Xpipe (little Drone)
Old 11-17-2005, 01:04 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

yeah chambered mufflers + mustangs = the dreaded 2K drone

I have experimented with many of the different brands but the only ones that don't drone are the straight through mufflers like magnaflow. Chambered mufflers sound the best IMO but I can't handle the drone on the highway so I currently run magnaflow with the magnaflow catted X. It only sounds good when you are on the pedal and the idle is wimpy.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:08 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

I have experimented with many of the different brands but the only ones that don't drone are the straight through mufflers like magnaflow. Chambered mufflers sound the best IMO but I can't handle the drone on the highway so I currently run magnaflow with the magnaflow catted X. It only sounds good when you are on the pedal and the idle is wimpy.
Does the droning happen on the previous generations or is it more noticable on the new Mustangs?

Old 11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05BlueGT

Does the droning happen on the previous generations or is it more noticable on the new Mustangs?

I think it's more noticable on the new mustangs because the Muffler is located behind the rear axle under the trunk.
This created a frequency Resonance or an acustic amplification of the chambered exhaust. Like a Sub woofer box size and shape can change the bass sound or the placement of a sub woofer in the room can change the output. Bose uses multipe chambers in the WaveRadio to create a rich deep sound from a small box, the same holds true with exhaust sounds on the 05-06. There is more frequancy and less exhaust pressure in the rear. older mustangs had the exhaust infront of the axle closer to the engine less sound frequancy and more exhaust pressure.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

Magnaflows may not be considered a chambered muffler, but they are not a straight pipe either.
it is a chambered pipe with collectors or holes in the pipe to reduce the sound output It works like a baffle.
the plain Magnaflows do have a little drone.

Quick Reply: How to quiet drone on muffler