Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need hood, bumper - where to get

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 06:10 PM
MikeG76

Default Need hood, bumper - where to get

I had an incident with my 2005 Mustang today.... got the car sideways and the right front bumped into a guardrail. The hood, bumper, and fender on that side are all ruined. I am looking at replacement parts, and will probably also get a quote from a body shop... but I wanted to know if there were reputable aftermarket replacements, especially for the bumper cover and hood as those are expensive new OEM, or even used it seems. For the fender, that looks easy enough to find from a salvage yard for a reasonable cost. I am pretty handy and if possible would like to tackle as much as I can myself. This is a secondary car, so I don't need it on the road immediately and have a bit of time to fix it. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:48 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

quick google search will get you a lot of different vendors. Plenty of us have fiberglass hoods which most prefer anyway. Just check out the many vendors. American muscle, LMR, among many others
Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

look on your local CL for the parts. front bumper covers come up once in a while as most wrecks are front impacts. also check with the painter at the place you want parts painted. most will not paint cheap plastic parts, even CARB approved parts, they only will respray OEM Ford bumper covers. LKQ is another site for parts as well. GT and V6 parts are different as far as bumper covers go. Amazon and ebay have vendors that sell paint to match parts for decent money, not sure the quality of the parts tho. good luck
Old 10-13-2018, 04:41 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

you should be able to get everything from a salvage yard.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:43 AM
MikeG76

Originally Posted by JJHoover
you should be able to get everything from a salvage yard.
It's hard finding the right color. Do I just get what I can find and have it painted?
Old 10-14-2018, 02:33 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Can always have it painted... If you go that route, you may as well get the parts
cheap as possible; black primer from eBay, then paint to match. Most common,
is you can get a factory one from a part-out, then repaint it. Check Facebook
mustang clubs, plenty of part outs there.

I have ordered hoods, and 4 of 6 were damaged. Got my money back in each instance,
they do not want the return shipping costs either. This was how I got free hoods for my
Jetta. They were damaged, took photos, got money back, and fix most of it. These hoods
were from GORDON, stay away from them if possible. Two of those were the WRONG
hoods, both times, for a Golf. I sold one, light damage, one was too badly damaged to sell.

I got a Fender for my '13 Jetta, it came undamaged.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 10-14-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:30 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeG76
It's hard finding the right color. Do I just get what I can find and have it painted?
I would keep looking in salvage yards for the right color especially if its not a daily driver. keep in mind if you buy new panels you will have to have them painted.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:09 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Check to see if you have a Pick N Pull in your area. Sometimes you can find parts on your local Craigslist too. I was lucky when i found a brand new pair of SHR Louvers on eBay! The seller wrecked his Mustang before he could have them installed, so he sold them to me for $50.00.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:14 AM
MikeG76

Thanks for the ideas. I am still looking for salvage items. I'm also going to ask a couple shops about painting used it aftermarket parts. I have some time but my wife will want her garage space back before it gets too cold. The mustang is sitting in there until I can get it fixed.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:05 PM
MikeG76

I have found that my color (Sonic Blue) was only made in 05, so finding matching panels is nearly impossible. I might have a lead on some more affordable hood and fender, then just need to figure out where to get them painted. The bumper I am strongly considering the Amazon vendor that paints to match... they actually seem to have some legit decent reviews. I did find a less expensive place... but their reviews looked like computer generated junk so I don't want to get anything from them!

Quick Reply: Need hood, bumper - where to get