Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One piece drive shaft and suspension kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:03 PM
TrackPack

Default One piece drive shaft and suspension kit

Hi Everyone,

I am starting the long road of upgrading my 2013 GT Premium with Track Pack. I have done some research, but there is one issue I want to be sure of before buying my next part. Currently I am in the first phase of this install which includes the Ford Racing Suspension Kit (ordered, but not installed yet), Michelin 4s tires, and driveshaft shops one piece carbon fiber drive shaft. I am ready to purchase the drive shaft soon and won't be installing these parts until spring. I am a novice when it comes to working on a car, but I would like to tackle these parts on my own and take my mustang in for an alignment only. I like this particular drive shaft as it seems like a quality piece from a reputable company from what I have read. I will also want it for when I go supercharged. My main concern with this drive shaft is if I will need anything extra to avoid a hum or vibration in the car. The suspension kit itself supposedly drops the car ~1 inch front and rear as well as an adjustable pan hard bar, front and rear sway bars. I did speak with the driveshaft shop about their drive shaft. They told me that I should be ok, and that I should not mess with the pinion angle on it in addition to saying "keep it as close to stock as possible". I am conflicted as if the pinion angle changes you would think you would want adjustable upper and lower control arms to get it back to where it needs to be. Perhaps this is because my drop isn't significant and the driveshaft itself is slimmer so there is more clearance. Thoughts on this? Just want to make sure I am good to go to buy, install and drive. Anyone own a lowered mustang with a one piece drive shaft?

Drive Shaft: https://www.americanmuscle.com/dss-c...ft-1114gt.html
Suspension ordered: https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-...assembled.html

Current Mods: Bama V2 tune (will be gone once I go supercharged), Ford Racing sport axle-back.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:30 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

There was one on FB Marketplace, 1 piece for $250, that one is gone....

200:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...65819626849966

$300:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...62664747408864

When you go to the 1 piece, you naturally get more noise from the drive-line.

Not sure on the pinion angle, but the reason for the 2-piece was for noise reduction,
till the carrier bearing wears, and better pinion angle. You can always get the
adjustable UCA.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 11-27-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:00 AM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

I'm lowered 1" on Ford P springs with Shaftmasters 1piece. I measured the drive shaft angle and it came in spec. I have zero vibation at any speed. Shaftmasters told me the angle should still be good without correction on a 1" drop and I have to agree. However I would still recommend changing the uca and bracket as it isn't very stout.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:21 PM
TrackPack

Originally Posted by dusman59
I'm lowered 1" on Ford P springs with Shaftmasters 1piece. I measured the drive shaft angle and it came in spec. I have zero vibation at any speed. Shaftmasters told me the angle should still be good without correction on a 1" drop and I have to agree. However I would still recommend changing the uca and bracket as it isn't very stout.
Thanks for the reply. Well with a tack pack don't you get the uca from the Boss 302 which is more robust? Yea I feel like I need a one piece for smoother driving and when i go supercharged, but I am hung up on a uca and lca replacements on my car.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:09 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by dusman59
Shaftmasters had me meet them at a shop one day when I had my 2006 so they could measurements on a my car. I had their original proto-type aluminum one piece drive shaft and had lowered the rear of the car with Roush springs by 1". They confirmed that the angle was correct with that drop using my car!
Old 11-29-2018, 09:55 AM
TrackPack

Originally Posted by JimC
Shaftmasters had me meet them at a shop one day when I had my 2006 so they could measurements on a my car. I had their original proto-type aluminum one piece drive shaft and had lowered the rear of the car with Roush springs by 1". They confirmed that the angle was correct with that drop using my car!
I had someone else recommend shaftmasters stating they are better than DSS. Unsure how true it is but if they are identical than I am open to saving half the price haha. Thanks! Looks like I will be fine with my drop without UCA and LCA's, though it seems it may be wise I go and replace them anyways.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:11 PM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

I just replaced the UCA and bracket with Steeda. I'm not sure if the track pack one is different than the stock GT one but part numbers on the Fords website should confirm. I kept the LCA's stock as they are the same as the GT 500 ones that come on the Brembo stangs(stiffer bushings).
Old 12-03-2018, 08:10 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrackPack
They told me that I should be ok,
What he's saying here is that he does not expect PA to change very much from only a relatively mild 'drop'.

and that I should not mess with the pinion angle on it in addition to saying "keep it as close to stock as possible".
I'm taking this to mean don't play the usual dragstrip-oriented PA games. If PA ends up close to stock, you're done so leave it alone. If it's a bit further off, put it back to stock spec.

Norm
Old 12-06-2018, 01:51 PM
TrackPack

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
What he's saying here is that he does not expect PA to change very much from only a relatively mild 'drop'.

I'm taking this to mean don't play the usual dragstrip-oriented PA games. If PA ends up close to stock, you're done so leave it alone. If it's a bit further off, put it back to stock spec.

Norm
Yea I think you're right. I am still debating the DS, probably going to end up with the DSS CF drive shaft unless there is something better. One thing I am considering is the MGW shifter unit, but I am trying to see if the DSS CF drive shaft and BMR loop will propose any issues with fit/hitting.