Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear grinding noise 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

A Panhard bar doesn't just get bent because you bump something. You gotta hit it hard. I'd be looking at upper shock tower damage and lower control arm frame mounting damage with the way that thing is pretzled in there. Also if you look at the sway bar on that side (right side) the bushing does not appear to be sitting in the original spot. More evidence on a something being severely misaligned.

When you got it aligned, did you get a print out of the before and current results? I'd be interested in seeing the Thrust Angle. Thrust angle tells you how centered the rear axle is to the front (imaginary) axle. If you've every heard the term, dog tracking? It's when the rear hangs out excessively to the left or right of the car/truck and looks like the rear is following it's own imaginary center line that is different from the front.

Anyways, it looks like someone lost control and the rear hit a curb/sidewalk pretty hard. Bent the crap outta the axle and they juts replaced the axle or got things bent back to kinda drive straight and got rid of it. What's the carfax on the car say? I'm gonna guess either salvage or it was not reported.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:58 PM
Peacetaker

Originally Posted by Derf00
A Panhard bar doesn't just get bent because you bump something. You gotta hit it hard. I'd be looking at upper shock tower damage and lower control arm frame mounting damage with the way that thing is pretzled in there. Also if you look at the sway bar on that side (right side) the bushing does not appear to be sitting in the original spot. More evidence on a something being severely misaligned.
I looked, and my untrained but observant eyes didn't see anything else wrong w regards to the UCAs and LCAs. As for the bushings on the sway bar, yup - the mechanic's assistant pointed it out, that the bushing wear on the bar is about 3/4" off. I'm hoping it's not too bad, and a new Panhard will straighten it out. Notice, too, the Panhard bar is resting on the left crossmember underneath it, and it's limiting the axle's left side from going down as far as the right.

When you got it aligned, did you get a print out of the before and current results? I'd be interested in seeing the Thrust Angle. Thrust angle tells you how centered the rear axle is to the front (imaginary) axle.
I did get that. I'll need to get it back out to see...

If you've every heard the term, dog tracking? It's when the rear hangs out excessively to the left or right of the car/truck and looks like the rear is following it's own imaginary center line that is different from the front.
Yup. If this car is doing it, it's not much.

Anyways, it looks like someone lost control and the rear hit a curb/sidewalk pretty hard. Bent the crap outta the axle and they juts replaced the axle or got things bent back to kinda drive straight and got rid of it. What's the carfax on the car say? I'm gonna guess either salvage or it was not reported.
No, axle on L side was slightly bent and brake rotor chirping on the bracket. Put in the new axle and rotor, and all seems well aside from knowing the Panhard bar is bent and pulling the whole axle a little to the R side of the chassis - about 3/4" or so. Carfax was clean, so I'm sure they did this and just didn't report it.

Last edited by Peacetaker; 02-22-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Peacetaker
I looked, and my untrained but observant eyes didn't see anything else wrong w regards to the UCAs and LCAs. As for the bushings on the sway bar, yup - the mechanic's assistant pointed it out, that the bushing wear on the bar is about 3/4" off. I'm hoping it's not too bad, and a new Panhard will straighten it out. Notice, too, the Panhard bar is resting on the left crossmember underneath it, and it's limiting the axle's left side from going down as far as the right.

I did get that. I'll need to get it back out to see...

Yup. If this car is doing it, it's not much.

No, axle on L side was slightly bent and brake rotor chirping on the bracket. Put in the new axle and rotor, and all seems well aside from knowing the Panhard bar is bent and pulling the whole axle a little to the R side of the chassis - about 3/4" or so. Carfax was clean, so I'm sure they did this and just didn't report it.
Most likely the issue cos the previous owner didn't want their insurance to skyrocket for a single car spin out, especially on a Mustang.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 PM
bl817
3rd Gear Member

also to note, the pic that peacetaker posted is of a convertible. the coupes don't have those braces in the rear.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:09 PM
Peacetaker

Originally Posted by bl817
also to note, the pic that peacetaker posted is of a convertible. the coupes don't have those braces in the rear.
Indeed, this is a ruby red 2014 convertible. Dad had (now brother has it) a '66 Mustang convertible, and due to the lack of a roof for the unibody structure, that car has a LOT of added metal in the floor. Those early Mustang convertibles had so much added that the front kick panels were smaller than the coupes and fastbacks because the floorboard came up a little higher. Under the car, there were a couple of added plates, if I recall - and under the hood, the convertible got the one-piece "export brace" and what was often referred to as the "Monte Carlo bar" to reduce cowl shake. Really, it is still a pretty solid car. Interestingly, vague recollection, Shelby GT350s of the era received these items to make them stiffer and so they'd handle better. I'm surprised these newer ones don't have the "export brace." The Monte Carlo bar was a primitive version of what we now call the "strut tower brace."

Knowing these details and pointing them out takes a keen eye, bl817!

Do you suppose these braces, if added to a hard top, would be an added benefit for structural rigidity?
Old 02-26-2019, 04:25 PM
Peacetaker

Found another site, there was some cool info there, as well.
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-sway-bar.html

This one guy's car and panhard bar were a lot like mine. He replaced it and was G2G. I'll be replacing mine soon...