Rear Quarter Wndow Seal - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

Rear Quarter Wndow Seal

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Rear Quarter Wndow Seal

Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post
Just order it from Amazon. A store would most likely need to order it anyways. Why pay the middle man?
I agree...since he lives in the boonies anyway.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Do not confuse Urethane window glass adhesive with Butyl Rubber. Urethane cures so it cannot be exposed to air which is why it comes in a tube. Butyl rubber does not cure and usually comes in strips. They two products are not interchangeable. If someone interchanged them, they screwed up.

Urethane is used to install and seal glass: https://www.amazon.com/3M-08693-Uret...54367895&psc=1

Butyl rubber is used as a secondary seal like for glass trim or to provide adhesion for the plastic splash shield in your doors. It does not cure and does not have the holding power or durability of the urethane. Also, if it gets contaminated or dries out, it loses grip (like your doors over time).
https://www.amazon.com/3M-08620-Wind...s=butyl+rubber
Thanks for the clarification. It looks like I can reseal the tube with a screw lid if I don't use it all. Which i wouldn't for one window.
There appears to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Now I just need to get my front leak figured out and I will be good to go.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:50 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal View Post
Yeah it's available easily.
3M makes a good windshield urethane sealant but you'll need a caulking gun to use it.
If I do this, can I still remove the window without issues and leaving a superglue like hard residue behind? In case it doesn't fix the issue.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:52 PM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Do not confuse Urethane window glass adhesive with Butyl Rubber. Urethane cures so it cannot be exposed to air which is why it comes in a tube. Butyl rubber does not cure and usually comes in strips. They two products are not interchangeable. If someone interchanged them, they screwed up.

Urethane is used to install and seal glass: https://www.amazon.com/3M-08693-Uret...54367895&psc=1

Butyl rubber is used as a secondary seal like for glass trim or to provide adhesion for the plastic splash shield in your doors. It does not cure and does not have the holding power or durability of the urethane. Also, if it gets contaminated or dries out, it loses grip (like your doors over time).
https://www.amazon.com/3M-08620-Wind...s=butyl+rubber
Hey Derf,

how easy is it to clean off the old sealant? Will I need a dissolver of some kind or will it pull right off?
Old 02-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LordRipberger View Post
Hey Derf,

how easy is it to clean off the old sealant? Will I need a dissolver of some kind or will it pull right off?
It's like RTV Silicone on steroids. It will come off but could be pretty stuck on the glass and paint. You can use a plastic razor blade to scrape the bead off. If that isn't cutting for you (literally and figuratively) you can use a metal one but, keep the angle minimal to avoid damaging either the paint and/or glass. If you are lucky, once you have and edge started, the bead can be pulled off.

Once you have as much off as is safe without going to town with the razor blade you can use a rag with acetone to remove residue. Test the acetone in an inconspicuous spot on both the glass (black area) and painted surface to make sure its not going to hurt the paint or the glass coating. If both are in good condition, acetone should not hurt the surfaces and will serve as a perfect surface prep for the new bead.

You do not want to soak either surface with acetone. Put the acetone on the rag and just wipe it across the surface with a little bit of pressure behind it. It might take a few passes to remove all residue.

Here's removal of the old bead from a windshield. Rear window bead would be similar.