MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Rear Quarter Wndow Seal (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/736736-rear-quarter-wndow-seal.html)

LordRipberger 02-03-2019 07:11 AM

Rear Quarter Wndow Seal

Hey Guys,

Anyone know where to get one? (driver's side - rear quarter panel is filling up with water every time it rains - drains very very slowly)
I have been to ford and they cost over 100 per seal. Ridiculous.

When I redid the seals around the doors, I was able to use Campers Tape seals. Super cheap and very effective. Bigger than oem but it has the space for it. Does anyone have a work around or a place to buy them cheaper? The ones on Rock Auto look more like weather stripping instead of seals.

Thanks.

07 Stang 02-03-2019 01:36 PM

I would go to an auto glass company. They should be able to fix it or tell you what to get to DIY.

LordRipberger 02-04-2019 09:00 AM

I live in the middle of nowhere, so there are not many auto glass companies around that I have seen. I will see what i can find. hopefully someone on here has replaced the seals for this at some point.

99GTvert 02-04-2019 09:03 AM

Would a sealant in a bottle do the same thing? Something from a squeeze tube.

Derf00 02-04-2019 12:52 PM

There is no seal for the rear quarter glass. It just uses Pollyurethane glass sealer like what is used to hold the front windshield in place.

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...r-windows.html. To best seal it, the glass would need to be removed, cleaned, and the sealer reapplied.

This video show you how to remove the rear quarter glass.

If you don't want to remove it, you can try some of the flowable silicon windshield glass sealer from Permatex. By adding it to the top or sides of the glass from the outside, It will flow into and fill any spot that might be leaking from . For the bottom of the glass you'd have to remove the interior trim panel and squeeze the stuff in from behind the glass.

https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...-glass-sealer/

pascal 02-04-2019 08:29 PM

Derf00 would be right...same urethane material used on the windshield and back glass.
The fix is to take the glass out and thoroughly clean it and do the same with the area on the body then redo the seal with a bead of that urethane glue.
If you live in the boonies, you'll have to travel to a pro glass shop but by appointment, it wouldn't waste your entire day.
Is your car been in a bad wreck? You should not have that issue until the car is rusted away. lol

LordRipberger 02-06-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by pascal (Post 8645182)
Derf00 would be right...same urethane material used on the windshield and back glass.
The fix is to take the glass out and thoroughly clean it and do the same with the area on the body then redo the seal with a bead of that urethane glue.
If you live in the boonies, you'll have to travel to a pro glass shop but by appointment, it wouldn't waste your entire day.
Is your car been in a bad wreck? You should not have that issue until the car is rusted away. lol

Its been hit a few times. But on the other side.

Can I buy the urethane glue anywhere and do this myself? Seems pretty easy.
It's interesting there is no seal. I watched the series of videos from above and he showed a ford seal that was like double sided tape and had to apply it before putting the window back on.

pascal 02-06-2019 07:18 PM

Yeah it's available easily.
3M makes a good windshield urethane sealant but you'll need a caulking gun to use it.

Derf00 02-07-2019 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by pascal (Post 8645447)
Yeah it's available easily.
3M makes a good windshield urethane sealant but you'll need a caulking gun to use it.

Just order it from Amazon. A store would most likely need to order it anyways. Why pay the middle man?

Derf00 02-07-2019 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by LordRipberger (Post 8645402)
Its been hit a few times. But on the other side.

Can I buy the urethane glue anywhere and do this myself? Seems pretty easy.
It's interesting there is no seal. I watched the series of videos from above and he showed a ford seal that was like double sided tape and had to apply it before putting the window back on.

Do not confuse Urethane window glass adhesive with Butyl Rubber. Urethane cures so it cannot be exposed to air which is why it comes in a tube. Butyl rubber does not cure and usually comes in strips. They two products are not interchangeable. If someone interchanged them, they screwed up.

Urethane is used to install and seal glass:

Butyl rubber is used as a secondary seal like for glass trim or to provide adhesion for the plastic splash shield in your doors. It does not cure and does not have the holding power or durability of the urethane. Also, if it gets contaminated or dries out, it loses grip (like your doors over time).