Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Front water leak - no coming in by Air Filter

Old 02-03-2019, 07:18 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Default Front water leak - no coming in by Air Filter

Hey Guys,

My passenger side foot well get very wet on heavy rains. I have already paid someone to come out and "fix" it. After 3 visits he fixed a few things and reduced the amount of water coming in by almost 90%. At first I thought he fixed it, but on a very heavy/long rain, water still got in. So there is another place the guy couldn't find it. Below is what i have done, please let me know if there is any other place to check before I spend the money for another "professional" to look it over.

Some odd thing, it appears the carpet gets wet from underneath. It's not soaked, only saturated where the water pools. There doesn't seem to be a flow of water spilling from the above (like before when the professional came out and fixed it). So I am wondering there was a second leak and the water is entering from some other place than the foot well area and flowing to it instead.

- Door trim seal replaced
- cabin air filter cavity not clogged
- Windshield wiper cowl - replaced tabs
- professional put some sealant and putty like stuff in-between the front fender and engine cavity (as stated, stops most water)

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:18 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You seem to have a thing against bodyshops dude.
Again, poor engineering from the factory doesn't warrant a shop to fix those with certainty. None of us have a magic wand to make it right. Diagnose can be a hard thing to do and it's the case here.
An issue that seem always overlooked is that upon heavy rain, the bottom of the door plugs won't allow water to escape fast enough and it will build up inside the door until it overflows from behind the door panel and dumps onto your sill-plate and down the carpet. It gets worse if the car is parked on non leveled ground.
The solution? Throw those stupid plugs away! Most shops won't know this because it's particular to that car...05/09 Mustang.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:50 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
3rd Gear Member

I removed the plugs from the bottom of the doors and the bottom of the cowl ages ago so I have no worries if there's heavy rain or when washing the car.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:36 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

As for the bottom of the door plugs, if the car is parked for a while, dirt builds up around those plugs and no water escape.
I've seen this on the dealer lots. lol
It's that bad on S197 cars...
Old 02-06-2019, 10:51 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal View Post
You seem to have a thing against bodyshops dude.
Again, poor engineering from the factory doesn't warrant a shop to fix those with certainty. None of us have a magic wand to make it right. Diagnose can be a hard thing to do and it's the case here.
Agree and disagree. If I pay someone a couple hundred dollars to diagnose and fix the car, I expect that. If you had me the keys and say the issue is fixed, but on the next rain my car is wet, you either didn't test your work or you did a band-aid job hoping it would fix it enough that I wouldn't notice. Now, if they tell me they can't find it, that is a different situation.

As for the bottom of the door plugs, if the car is parked for a while, dirt builds up around those plugs and no water escape.
I've seen this on the dealer lots. lol
It's that bad on S197 cars...
I removed those plugs on the side the water comes in at. Is is possible the windshield seal is not good any more?
Old 02-06-2019, 06:00 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Someone on this forum posted these pictures, jeez must be over ten years ago now, in one of the various similar threads. From what I remember this resolved the problem, hence me saving the pictures. My 2005 and 2009 both never leaked.
Good luck!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:05 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by LordRipberger View Post
...... hoping it would fix it enough that I wouldn't notice....
Right there, you would be a one time customer for me and no, the customer isn't always right.
If I diagnose a car and fix one issue I expect to be paid for that work, simple as that. If you have more than one issue with the car, don't blame me because I couldn't find all the problems at once.
I can't wait for the rain to start on any given day and drive your car 20 miles or so to be able to conduct a real test. I also cannot duplicate a splash from a moving car with a garden hose so I am limited to my diagnose.
To your credit, the shop SHOULD have told you that they found ONE issue but cannot guarantee that it will fix the problem since it could be other areas where water is coming in. Upon that, if you give the go ahead on repairing the stated issue, you know what you're up against...
I also realize that there are shop out there that are crooks or unskilled or both but there are also people that will never be pleased no matter what so that's that.

As for the windshield seal, sure...It's very possible that it'd go bad after all these years.
If a car has been in a heavy wreck. Body twist will unseal a urethane bond without breaking the glass etc...

Also a bad job at replacing a cracked windshield will cause a leak. I've seen this countless time.
Hopefully, you can find someone able to help you with this...
Old 02-12-2019, 07:51 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

The windshield has been replaced a few times. So its possible it is that.

Can an amateur take off a side panel like that to get to interior? Or does that require special tools?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You do need a special tool, like an angled blade with a built in handle and you go from the outside...tricky. Have to be careful not to scratch the paint around the glass area.
I've seen people (amateur) doing it from the inside with box cutters. The trim pane being removed first though.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:48 AM
LordRipberger
3rd Gear Member

You do need a special tool, like an angled blade with a built in handle and you go from the outside...tricky. Have to be careful not to scratch the paint around the glass area.
I've seen people (amateur) doing it from the inside with box cutters. The trim pane being removed first though.
What I am cutting? It looks like the from the picture above that it just unbolts. No?
Is there any wires or other things in the fender I need to be aware of? (besides what looks like the antenna and wiper fluid tube)

The leak comes from what appears under the dash and after long rains or hard ones I can turn and see it pour out a little. So I don't think I need to worry about it going the full length like in the photos.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front water leak - no coming in by Air Filter

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.