MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Rack and Pinion Leak? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/736893-rack-and-pinion-leak.html)

joeylrod 02-21-2019 04:45 PM

Rack and Pinion Leak?

Hello all. First time here. My son has a 2014 Mustang V6. The other day I saw what I thought was coolant on the driveway. I replaced both radiator hoses and the thermostat and gasket. Today my son told me the car still has a leak. I checked all my work and everything is fine. I removed the splash shield and looked around. The only thing I could see was a little bit of fluid dripping from the Rack and pinion module. I called one of the local dealerships and they said the racks are not serviceable. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was your fix? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

artsvettes73 02-21-2019 05:28 PM

The dealer want to sell you a new rack. They are serviceable.

Dino Dino Bambino 02-22-2019 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by joeylrod (Post 8646334)
The only thing I could see was a little bit of fluid dripping from the Rack and pinion module. I called one of the local dealerships and they said the racks are not serviceable. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was your fix?

They aren't called stealerships for nothing.
The steering rack is definitely serviceable and the seals can be replaced. The stealership wants to sell you a new rack, install it, and give you a $1200+ suppository for the privilege.

abbysdad 02-22-2019 10:49 AM

Ok so from what I can tell the fluid is coming from somewhere around the rack and pinion module. I don't see anything coming from the engine block area. It's not leaking from anywhere else. Has anyone had this type of problem? Where can I buy the seals/ gaskets for it? Thanks

Derf00 02-22-2019 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by joeylrod (Post 8646334)
Hello all. First time here. My son has a 2014 Mustang V6. The other day I saw what I thought was coolant on the driveway. I replaced both radiator hoses and the thermostat and gasket. Today my son told me the car still has a leak. I checked all my work and everything is fine. I removed the splash shield and looked around. The only thing I could see was a little bit of fluid dripping from the Rack and pinion module. I called one of the local dealerships and they said the racks are not serviceable. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what was your fix? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

a 2014 Mustang has an electric rack and pinion. Most electric rack/pinions use a belt driven system. Motor with a gear, rack and pinion with a gear and a belt that connects the rack and motor. There is no fluid.

What color is the fluid and does it have a musty sock smell (antifreeze) You probably have a leak from a heater hose or coolant overflow hose that is dripping onto the rack module making it look like a rack issue. Or it could be the water pump.

Edit: Added EPAS rack/pinion teardown.

abbysdad 02-22-2019 05:52 PM

It does smell like coolant. The color is mostly clear with a slight tint of green. The coolant in this car is orange. Also, I physically checked under the water pump. No leak. There is no belt running to the rack. ???

Derf00 02-25-2019 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by abbysdad (Post 8646402)
It does smell like coolant. The color is mostly clear with a slight tint of green. The coolant in this car is orange. Also, I physically checked under the water pump. No leak. There is no belt running to the rack. ???

Did you watch the video tear down of the electric rack/pinion?

The belt would be contained within the system...

08'MustangDude 02-26-2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Derf00 (Post 8646569)
Did you watch the video tear down of the electric rack/pinion?

The belt would be contained within the system...

Your video, if referring to the one you posted, is water pump replacement...

Derf00 02-27-2019 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude (Post 8646792)
Your video, if referring to the one you posted, is water pump replacement...

Nuh uh...check again :D

Seriously, I totally blanked on positing the EPAS item previously. The original post has been updated to also include an EPAS Rack and pinion teardown.