MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Fuel Smell in cabin of car (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/736977-fuel-smell-in-cabin-of-car.html)

outceltj 03-04-2019 09:21 AM

Fuel Smell in cabin of car

For about a year or so I have had a fuel smell in the cabin of the car. It would only come about when I would get on the car. Another words hard acceleration either from stop or when im already going. I have not noticed any fuel leaks anywhere. I took it to brenspeed to get the rear end swapped out with new axles and gears. I told them about it and though it was loose exhaust. It wasn't. They haven't been able to pin point it. I did have them scope that cats. Those are fine. Manifolds as they say we're checked. The said they pulled the fuel pump didnt notice anything unusual.

It has built motor (B302), Detroit Rockers, Stage 3 saleen with 10% OD pulley, GT500 fuel system. Bigger injectors.

When I get on it its almost as if its a pure fuel smell.

Any ideas

Thanks

08'MustangDude 03-04-2019 03:08 PM

Too much fuel is being dumped into the engine, and the A:F ratio is off, or one or some of the
injectors are leaking at higher pressure (WOT). Fuel evaporates quickly, so you won't see the
evidence right away, but eventually, you should see some discoloration in the area. Fuel is
sprayed just before the intake valves open, so the fumes could also be coming out of the intake
if too much fuel is being sprayed in. It's gonna take some looking into.

I had a boost module on a previous car, and that happened. I jumped on it, the EPC light came on
when the car bogged down a little, and I could smell fuel. In this case, I had to regap the plugs, but
those fumes came from the intake... Too much fuel was dumped into the system, and even with
direct injection, I got fumes from the intake.

Also, is it while you're ON the pedal at WOT, or as soon as you let off from WOT you get the
fumes? If it's when you let off the pedal from WOT, then it could be from the exhaust. In any
case, it's too much fuel in the motor if it's not a leaking injector, or a fuel leak somewhere else.

outceltj 03-05-2019 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude (Post 8647388)
Too much fuel is being dumped into the engine, and the A:F ratio is off, or one or some of the
injectors are leaking at higher pressure (WOT). Fuel evaporates quickly, so you won't see the
evidence right away, but eventually, you should see some discoloration in the area. Fuel is
sprayed just before the intake valves open, so the fumes could also be coming out of the intake
if too much fuel is being sprayed in. It's gonna take some looking into.

I had a boost module on a previous car, and that happened. I jumped on it, the EPC light came on
when the car bogged down a little, and I could smell fuel. In this case, I had to regap the plugs, but
those fumes came from the intake... Too much fuel was dumped into the system, and even with
direct injection, I got fumes from the intake.

Also, is it while you're ON the pedal at WOT, or as soon as you let off from WOT you get the
fumes? If it's when you let off the pedal from WOT, then it could be from the exhaust. In any
case, it's too much fuel in the motor if it's not a leaking injector, or a fuel leak somewhere else.

It is while im ON the throttle. I can be going 50mph not smell anything and push the pedal a bit and wham i get that fuel smell. It happens at WOT but I have only done that once as to not cause damage.

Thanks

pascal 03-05-2019 07:03 PM

Might be fuel tank related...
Is it original or a fuel cell?
If it's stock, check the evap valves and all that, hoses...
If you have a fuel cell, check ALL your connections and remember that they don't last forever.
Also a small leak will reek gas while not necessarily drip at all.
Check your gas cap too, I know that you'll have a warning on the dash if it's faulty but if you messed with the ECU due to the car build, that feature might no longer be trustworthy...

outceltj 03-06-2019 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by pascal (Post 8647506)
Might be fuel tank related...
Is it original or a fuel cell?
If it's stock, check the evap valves and all that, hoses...
If you have a fuel cell, check ALL your connections and remember that they don't last forever.
Also a small leak will reek gas while not necessarily drip at all.
Check your gas cap too, I know that you'll have a warning on the dash if it's faulty but if you messed with the ECU due to the car build, that feature might no longer be trustworthy...

Its the original fuel tank.

ill check the others as well

Thanks