Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Possible Overheat Issue

Old 06-09-2019, 11:40 PM
SCTman

Default Possible Overheat Issue

I have heard/read various comments about the correct operating temps. Ranging from ~180-190 & ~190-200. I currently am running a supercharger setup & it is starting to get hot around 90-100 outside according to the weather. When I originally installed the supercharger it was in the winter and it was nice & cold so I did not have any type of problems as far as heat was concerned. Now that it is warming up my temps sitting can go as high as 230 in traffic or ~215-220 just casually driving. Ambient air sitting is ~115 and driving is ~80-100. This is starting to become a concern to me since I do not want my vehicle to run into any issues. What can I do to regulate the temps? Or is this okay? I have heard it is very high. What do I need to do? Right now I just have the stock thermo & radiator as well as the intercooler that came with the SC Kit.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:33 AM
danzcool
4th Gear Member

A Meziere electric water pump will ensure that traffic temps do not rise above cruising temps, so no spiking of the temps based on traffic.. It will also ensure that if you lose the belt the car will continue to pump water until the battery runs out... this means you should be able to get to a safe place or suitable place to change the belt.
A larger radiator also helps.You can change out to a lower temp thermostat, but that likely won't help after your car warms up, but if your kit didn't come with a 170 thermostat, changing it out won't hurt and it's the least expensive option.
Ford Performance has bigger radiators, I went with a CSF radiator being sold by Steeda.

There are other issues that can cause temps to rise, but it doesn't sound like your temps are too out of line.

Also, if you didn't do the "burping" process when refilling the coolant, that can result in higher than normal temps since there is air in the system that tends to be at the high point in the coolant crossover link to "burping": http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=181&f=Cooling...eeding.pdf&p=1
Old 06-10-2019, 12:43 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
3rd Gear Member

A lower temp. thermostat won't help you, but a thicker aftermarket aluminum radiator definitely will.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:21 PM
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Are electric pumps really that reliable for DD? I know they are awesome for track cars or drag queens but my understanding, based on older information when I was first looking into these about 10 years ago is that they are not ideal for DD. The reason was that the daily grind wears them out prematurely and when they fail.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:17 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
3rd Gear Member

The Meziere EWP is claimed to last for up to 3000 hours of use. On a street-driven car that might average 25mph in normal use (mostly stop-go driving), that's 75k miles. It's probably best reserved for racing applications where the average road speed is much higher.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:05 PM
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino View Post
... It's probably best reserved for racing applications where the average road speed is much higher.
I would argue that it is almost a must have for supercharged vehicles, since they have a tendency to throw belts. After I lost a belt the 1st time (when Whipple'd) I did add the electric water pump as I got stuck 30 miles from anything and was in a curvy hilly area and I watched the water temps climb to 240 as I looked for a safe place to pull over. The second time a belt was thrown I was able to continue driving 20 miles to where I was going (after that time I added the Thump Racing belt tensioner, never threw another belt after that).
Old 06-12-2019, 03:13 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool View Post
I would argue that it is almost a must have for supercharged vehicles, since they have a tendency to throw belts.
Didn't think of it that way but fair point.
Could always go the turbo route and not have to worry about throwing a belt.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 AM
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino View Post
Didn't think of it that way but fair point.
Could always go the turbo route and not have to worry about throwing a belt.
Yup. but kept the EWP anyway. Knowing the estimated 3000hr life is good to know though, I knew it would need a rebuild at some point, now I can make a better guess as to when.