Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well I took my gt out for a test drive tonight.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 12:27 AM
hspg

Default well I took my gt out for a test drive tonight.....

I took my GT out for the first test drive and put 6.8 miles on her. I had my buddy in there with me and I think I scared him a little. When I punched it, it just sorta jumped up and took off. Maybe it's just the new feeling, but it seems that when you're in there that your sitting in a hole. The visibility was horrible. It could of been the huge window sticker on the passenger side window, but thats the feeling that I got. Like I said earlier though, it's probably cause I'm not use to it yet.
Couple of things I did notice though was that when I got her all heated up she started smelling like something was burning. I guess thats just the paint that was burning off the exhuast manifold or the paint around the motor or exhuast. I didnt realize that the rear window was so small, but I guess I'll get use to that too. I didn't like the way the rear view mirror makes everything round when you look in it. It looks like its concave. I'm leary about tinting the back window 30%. Im leaning more to maybe 25% or even 20%. I searched through some earlier threads and all I could find about tinted windows were about putting felt on the windows so that the side windows won't get scratched. Does anyone else have the same feeling about the poor visibility all around or specifically out the rear window? Is anyone having problems with seeing out with rear window with 30% tint? Im also concerned that it might look werid if the front window and the sides are tinted darker than the rear window. What do ya'll think?
But overall I can't wait to pick her up on my birthday on the 18th. The whole feel of the stiff ride was awesome. Can't wait....Can't wait.....lol It was hard it get out of it and get into my old clunker again....lol
Old 11-05-2005, 01:36 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: well I took my gt out for a test drive tonight.....

i got the same feeling when i test drove the car, but comming out of a beast of an SUV (expedition) it was not much different

just think of it as "a coupe with the visibility of an SUV!"
Old 11-05-2005, 03:20 AM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

I feel like my visability is just great. I can see everything and I have my mirrors set up so I have no blind spot. I did not have my tint place install a felt strip and I do have one small scratch in my passenger side window. It is very minimal, but I guess once the tint gets really bad I will just re-do it. I have 20% on all the windows except the windshield. I think that is the perfect %. I f you don't want to go that low on tint that I would have the same % all around.(IMO)
Old 11-05-2005, 03:21 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

The burning smell i think is normal, mine did for the 1st 500 miles or so. The tint question has crossed my mind alot. I decided to wait until I am totally use to this car. I dont think the different shades of tint will look bad at all. Its what I plan on doing. lighter for the door windows, dark as heck for the rear side ones and rear window.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:08 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

The burning smell might be the disk brakes? I had a Mazda do that on me when it was brand new.
As far as tint, I have 35% in the back window and it does effect the view, especially at night. Any darker than that (Smaller # than 35) and you might not like it. If you get the side windows done make sure they'll redo them if they get scratched by the way they are designed.
You might consider getting one of those stick-on wide angle mirrors to attach to the rear view mirror. Coming from any other car to the new Mustang there's a huge difference in visibility out the front.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:49 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

The tint guys gave me the darkest one the had for the rear section...a 5% for the back window and quarters, and 15% for the doors. I didn't get the strip accross the windshield becuase I don't like those.
The only time I can't see is in the morning when the back window is covered in dew. Other than that it's like wearing 360 degree sunglasses all the time
Old 11-06-2005, 10:38 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

You think those side windows are small, try covering them up...
Old 11-06-2005, 10:58 PM
doobs
4th Gear Member

...or not having them[8D]
Old 11-07-2005, 03:25 PM
hspg

Boy talk about a bunch of crap....... Apparently every window tint place in Oklahoma has different legal limits. I called 4 different places this weekend and got 4 different answers, then I called the OHP and got a 5th different answer. I think I'm going with what the OHP says that 25% is the legal limit. I've called my dealer 3 times now and changed what I wanted.....I bet he's thinking, make up your freakin mind.......lol

Maybe the different brands of tint are different shades.......Who knows

Oh yeah apparently the higher you go the lighter the tint and the lower you go the darker it is. It's related to how much light can come through the tint.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

WAIT...

Get the guy at OHP who gave you the hightest limit.. and get him to email you that information.

THAT WAY - when you get pulled over by the OHP, and they try to give you a ticke you can say "Wait a minute - look at this!".