Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger opinion

Guys, I need your help in making a decision. I really have my heart set on the Saleen Supercharger but I just can’t dish out $5K right now but I can probably manage $3.5K.

For $3.5K I can get a Supercharger kit without the intercooler excluding the Pro Charger kit because, in my opinion, it makes the engine look butt ugly. I was hoping you guys can give me some pro’s and con’s on the intercooler issue since I live in a relatively hot climate and that is one of my primary concerns. In addition, she’s mostly a weekend driver.

Thanks,
Martin
Old 11-10-2005, 04:26 PM
TexaStang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Supercharger opinion

I'm going to be getting the Saleen or the FRPP supercharger when it comes out. Just wait, save some cash and get what you want. It'd be worth it to me to save up some extra money to get exactly what I wanted. I'd definately go with an intercooled setup though.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:34 PM
Gloves
2nd Gear Member

I really want a whipple but looks like they'll never come out with it.

What are the other twin screw super chargers?
Whipple (if they ever release it)
Saleen
and?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:56 PM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Whipple will be out shortly. They had it on display at SEMA and hope to be in production by the beggining of next year. Without the intercooler these cars are prone to heat soak and a huge loss of power. Save up and shop around you can get the Saleen for $4500 and it is worth every penny. Kenne Bell is the other twin screw and they hope to be released mid December.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

I agree wait and get the intercooler. Not only will you not see nearly as much horsepower and torque as you will with an intercooler you also greatly increase your risk of detonation which can make a motor go KABOOM.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:58 PM
AmericanMuscle
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know if they intend to release any kits for the 4.0L v6? I know ProCharger and PowerDyne have centrifugal chargers out.. and X-Charger is working on a positive displacement charger.. but any others planned to come out? I was about to purchase an intercooled ProCharger kit this weekend, but a performance shop advised me to go with a twin screw or roots blower because they would be safer and more reliable on the 4.0L SOHC then a centrifugal or "side winder" would. Any validity to that?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

U guess I'm going to have to wait for the intercooler, hence I might as well wait and save up for the saleen supercharger. It's going to be another one of those long waits!
Old 11-15-2005, 04:59 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

America Muscle

Does anyone know if they intend to release any kits for the 4.0L v6? I know ProCharger and PowerDyne have centrifugal chargers out.. and X-Charger is working on a positive displacement charger.. but any others planned to come out? I was about to purchase an intercooled ProCharger kit this weekend, but a performance shop advised me to go with a twin screw or roots blower because they would be safer and more reliable on the 4.0L SOHC then a centrifugal or "side winder" would. Any validity to that?
Check out this page.

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=584875 info on twin and centrifugal .

American I am having thoughts as of late about going to a turbo (Powerhouse e-mailed me says Jan 1,06 his will be out) or a supercharger still researching it also still need to research to find a good shop w/experience who know what they are doing and can set it up right to install, dyno and tune. American seeing we live in the same area if you are going to still do this we should talk share info maybe get a good deal on a two car deal.

If your interested E-mail me or your phone if you want to or if you want to just do on your own no problem
Old 11-18-2005, 10:45 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Save up your money and wait for the Whipple. After all my research, I think that is by far the best design I've seen. I would never get the pro charger, have you seen where they leave the intake? I'm not sure what they are thinking there. I can't imagine a much worse spot for sucking hot air. I believe the Vortech is similar in design but they do a much better job with intake placement. Both of these are a little light on low end torque but produce heavy on the top end. I'm a big fan of the twin screws, they are so efficient. The other twin screw is the Kenne Bell (also not available yet but soon). My understanding is the chamber in the Kenne Bell will be smaller than the Whipple, comes with a smaller (80mm) MAF and uses the Boost-A-Pump for increased fuel delivery. The Whipple comes with a 90mm MAF, bigger fuel pump and a larger more efficient compressor. -Joe
Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jbailer

Save up your money and wait for the Whipple. After all my research, I think that is by far the best design I've seen. I would never get the pro charger, have you seen where they leave the intake? I'm not sure what they are thinking there. I can't imagine a much worse spot for sucking hot air. I believe the Vortech is similar in design but they do a much better job with intake placement. Both of these are a little light on low end torque but produce heavy on the top end. I'm a big fan of the twin screws, they are so efficient. The other twin screw is the Kenne Bell (also not available yet but soon). My understanding is the chamber in the Kenne Bell will be smaller than the Whipple, comes with a smaller (80mm) MAF and uses the Boost-A-Pump for increased fuel delivery. The Whipple comes with a 90mm MAF, bigger fuel pump and a larger more efficient compressor. -Joe
I agree that procharger put a bad place to put the intake.. but most of the air is being sucked through the intercooler in the front of the car. Also its a matter of time before someone comes comes out with an adapter for it.. they did for the f150s. Also, the unit still makes 430-460rwhp with hot air ... I think the cheapest unit you will find will be the vortech with out the cooler and thats got to be 4K I think.. keep saving.. all most there

Quick Reply: Supercharger opinion