Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adj Panhard bar install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 10:33 AM
05vert
1st Gear Member

Default Adj Panhard bar install question

Hey all. Had my car lowered a month ago or so, and have read that getting an adjustable panhard bar was suggested, and that an aftermerket one would help out handling as well. So here's the deal, I just recieved the Steeda adjustable panhard bar, and I also got the additional panhard bar brace. Has anyone done these installs themselves?? I'm wondering if it's something I should try on my own?? I do not have any sort of lift. Thanks for any advice!!
Old 11-14-2005, 09:03 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Adj Panhard bar install question

The Panhard rod and upper panhard support is a very easy install. Just put the rear up on jack stands take out old support and rod adjust new panhard rod to the same length as the old one install the rod and the support do not put plastic covers back on yet. Take the jack stands out. With the car on a nice flat surface on the ground drop a plumb bob from the rear fenders measure the top of the rims on each side of the car adjust the panhard rod till rear tires are centered lock down adjustable rod. Take the car out for a spin. When you get back check to see if rear is still centered adjust if needed put plastic covers back on if rear tires are still centered.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:31 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

I can't wait to lower this sucker, but the one thing I REALLY want to do when it gets lowered is mount a tiny camera under the bottom of the very front of the bumper, and be able to see on small screen that is hideable. This way I don't hit a curb when parking.....ever.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:17 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andyman

I can't wait to lower this sucker, but the one thing I REALLY want to do when it gets lowered is mount a tiny camera under the bottom of the very front of the bumper, and be able to see on small screen that is hideable. This way I don't hit a curb when parking.....ever.

Mine has been lowered since April I have not hit a curb yet. You learn to be very aware of curbs when parking. I back into the parking spots the rear is much higher.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:09 AM
05vert
1st Gear Member

The Panhard rod and upper panhard support is a very easy install. Just put the rear up on jack stands take out old support and rod adjust new panhard rod to the same length as the old one install the rod and the support do not put plastic covers back on yet. Take the jack stands out. With the car on a nice flat surface on the ground drop a plumb bob from the rear fenders measure the top of the rims on each side of the car adjust the panhard rod till rear tires are centered lock down adjustable rod. Take the car out for a spin. When you get back check to see if rear is still centered adjust if needed put plastic covers back on if rear tires are still centered.
Is it safe to put the rear end on jack stands....could the front roll? Also...do you jack it up then put the stands under the car...or will they fit and jack it themselves? Also....what ton stands would I need? Are ramps a better, or even viable option??

Can you explain again what you mean by centered...and how to check for it. They look centered now...even though they probably are not....I just don't see it.

Thanks for you help!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 PM
64ford
1st Gear Member

Okay , I really like doing just the rear spring drop. That does what I want and it sounds easy enough, but is the adjustable panhard bar must? Or is it just a plus?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:31 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

i have had my springs sitting in the garage for a month now. have been waiting for the panhard rod to get in. if you lower it without shortening the panhard rod the rear end housing wiil shift to the right about an inch or more depending on how much you lower your car. road race and stock cars use this bar to help with handling. if the mounting points are moved it can change the reaction of the car while turning(they sometimes call it a track bar). this is not an ideal setup for drag racing. we usually use a wishbone or diagonal track locator but it works well for street/strip cars that are somewhat mild.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:17 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: andyman

Could make for some interesting twisty road/track video if you plug it into a camcorder... [sm=icon_rock.gif]