Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rid of Custom Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 12:44 AM
Eoli

Default Got rid of Custom Muffler

Geez I played around with a Flowmaster MAC and Borla and all 3 sounded like crap with the drone. Stock for the win no drone and still sounds good. Waste of money on mufflers tho.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:08 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Got rid of Custom Muffler

Ever heard the JBA's.
Just curious cuz i've allready ordered them.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:14 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

One of the very first mustang GT owners I talked to (last spring at local cruise spot) was going to add mufflers...at summit racings mustang show this fall, ran into him again- said he put them on, but took his back off after a week as on the highway it was not fun...droning...think he had flowmasters, but dont recall for certain...
Old 11-15-2005, 01:39 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Eoli

Geez I played around with a Flowmaster MAC and Borla and all 3 sounded like crap with the drone. Stock for the win no drone and still sounds good. Waste of money on mufflers tho.
I'm removing my axleback for the stock muffler this weekend, but just for the cooler months. I found the drone in my Macs (at that dreaded 1800-2000 rpm cruise level) tolerable during the warmer months as the vibration frequency was broken up quite a bit by driving around with a window down. I'll only be driving it sporadically over the winter, but the drone with closed windows is just too much. I thought my head would burst the other day and ended up cruising down the highway in 4th gear.

Note that getting performance gears (so your cruising RPMS are raised above the drone zone) or adding JBA headers + Bassani catted xPipes will pretty much eliminate the drone AND give you a nice growl at WOT. I don't have the money or time for either approach, but I'm getting all of the above next spring.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:55 PM
05SatinSilver
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Eoli

So, are you selling these then? PM me and let me know how much.
Thanks,
Dave...
Old 11-15-2005, 01:59 PM
diablito
1st Gear Member

If you are selling, let me know too.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:37 PM
SilverR1_04
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty happy with the JBA Evol axlebacks. Drone is minimal, not too much louder than stock, but still stands out, and the tips look clean too.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:18 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

i heard SLP is the way to go, i hear they r the loudest, dont know about the drone though, please advise
Old 11-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I played around withe the idea of aftermarket mufflers-decided to keep the stockers-I'm happy with the sound and lack of drone.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:50 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Whatever muffler you use, you are going to get some drone. That is bacause of where the mufflers are located, way far in the back. I have the SLP Powerflo mufflers and I like the way they sound. I do have that famous 1800-2000 RPM drone. I was thinking of lining the trunk with a dynomat or something to see if that helps bring down the drone level. If someone has tried this, let me know how it worked out.

Quick Reply: Got rid of Custom Muffler