Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst shifter with t-handle: go retro!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:44 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hurst shifter with t-handle: go retro!

I bought the Hurst shifter with the white **** and then I bought the t-handle. Hmm...I wonder what ever happened to that white ****?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:40 PM
SallyPickett

I remember my brothers friend had a Hurst shifter on a 68 charger.

This was awhile ago, many moons... I seem to remember that the car was an automatic, but he routinely "Shifted" the car with the Hurst and the tires chirped between shifts.

I don't know how the Hursts work on automatic cars, but is the above possible? How do these things work and can a Hurst shifter make the tires chirp on an auto, as described above? Maybe the charger was a standard... don't know.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SallyPickett

This was awhile ago, many moons... I seem to remember that the car was an automatic, but he routinely "Shifted" the car with the Hurst and the tires chirped between shifts.

I don't know how the Hursts work on automatic cars, but is the above possible? How do these things work and can a Hurst shifter make the tires chirp on an auto, as described above? Maybe the charger was a standard... don't know.
The shift itself isn't contributing to "chirping". that's just the strength of the engine overcoming the grip of the tires on the current road surface. Automatics and manual transmission can all chirp wheels.

My son has a 2004 automatic and he routinely chirps 1st-2nd if he floors it. When I had stock tires on my 2005, chirping between gears was easy. When I took them off and put on Eagle F1 tires, which have TONS more grip on the road surface, I have YET to chirp between gears. They stick to the road that good. On race tracks, it's just the opposite. I have no grip at all...

John
Old 11-30-2005, 10:40 PM
doobs
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jwgroovin

ORIGINAL: SallyPickett

The shift itself isn't contributing to "chirping". that's just the strength of the engine overcoming the grip of the tires on the current road surface. Automatics and manual transmission can all chirp wheels.

My son has a 2004 automatic and he routinely chirps 1st-2nd if he floors it. When I had stock tires on my 2005, chirping between gears was easy. When I took them off and put on Eagle F1 tires, which have TONS more grip on the road surface, I have YET to chirp between gears. They stick to the road that good. On race tracks, it's just the opposite. I have no grip at all...

John
If he had stock wheels on the charger he most likely had 205-215 tires as well. Not exactly screaming traction.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:30 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I can get the tires to chirp going into third on a pretty consistent basis. A friend of mine who is a die hard GM fan was impressed with my "little 281".
Old 12-01-2005, 04:24 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

WHERE the HELL are the mods for AUTOMATIC trannies??? im tired of shifting with my fingertips.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:33 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

I took my '06 out for the first time in a week 2 nights ago and around here it's about 20f. While heading right onto a road I waited until I had her straight, nailed it in 1st, no traction of course, all the way through 2nd, just tire spin and that's with the new 18x10 wheel and tires they just came out with the the '06. I'll be adding a new shifter this summer as well, my theme however is the black with white stripes 1967 Shelby. I have the top stripes done, in a few weeks the sides will be done as well.

Nice car by the way, I also like that '86 (might be an '85, thought I saw the brake light in the spoiler) you have as well!
Old 12-01-2005, 02:39 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

I took my '06 out for the first time in a week 2 nights ago and around here it's about 20f. While heading right onto a road I waited until I had her straight, nailed it in 1st, no traction of course, all the way through 2nd, just tire spin and that's with the new 18x10 wheel and tires they just came out with the the '06. I'll be adding a new shifter this summer as well, my theme however is the black with white stripes 1967 Shelby. I have the top stripes done, in a few weeks the sides will be done as well.

Nice car by the way, I also like that '86 (might be an '85, thought I saw the brake light in the spoiler) you have as well!
when its cold out. you really cant hook for ****.

i had a t handle, but it really didnt like the feel, i like the stock shifter, its alot more comfortable.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Hoof_N_It06 GT
1st Gear Member

I just got mine that i bought off ebay in the mail today and i must say that these things are absolutely gorgeous with the red insulators and the powdercoated black and grey finish, i wish it could be seen all the time, now i just wish that i had my car to put it in, oh well only another month i guess.

also if anyone oyt there is looking for one of these, the guy i bought mine from has an e bay store and he puts these on their for a but-it-now between $140and $144 with like $13 dollars shipping so they are considerably cheaper
Old 12-01-2005, 06:57 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396
Good eye on the Fox body, but we were told '86 California cars had the light and all the damn smog crap too (I'll double check that though). Car has 245000 miles, bought it RUST FREE for $1500, and invested another $1500 in miscellaneous (tires, bushing kit, new power steering pump, sensors, brakes, shocks, master cylinder, hoses and clamps). We've also diassembled the intakes and cleaned it all up. Compression is surprisingly good, but the injectors are leaking around the gaskets, so thats the next $200 expense. This week's $200 went to two new seats. I think roll cage is next, followed by new upholstery. Gonna be my son's daily driver/drag king. Or so he thinks. Good mechanic for 19 though.

Thanks for '05 comments by the way. I took it to work today: twisty two lanes plus a 20 minute dash on the interstate. Rock n roll!!!

John

Quick Reply: Hurst shifter with t-handle: go retro!