Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long distance drive break in suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 03:29 PM
cyberjock4hire
1st Gear Member

Default RE: long distance drive break in suggestions

I had the same concerns as you do. I bought the car in GA and had to drive home to NY, about 900 miles. Spoke to the mechanic who did seem to know what he was talking about and suggested not to push the car too hard. No burnouts, doughnuts do not dog it and vary the speed while on the highway. So while driving home 500 miles one day and the remainder the next, I stayed between 55 and about 80. Had no issues but did notice after about 400 miles or so the car seemed to start to wake up and the exhaust note was deeper. During that trip home I averaged 26.1 miles per gallon.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:36 PM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the good advice.

I hope I don't run into a big snow storm on the way home. I live in Philly and watching all the storms the midwest are getting now isn't going to look fun. That is were I am picking up the car.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:45 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

why did u go so far to buy it, was that the only place u could get what u want ?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:58 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

Yup, I live in CT and the dealers here still do not have ANY GT's the dealer I originally ordered from back in June 05 had 9 ordered with deposits and they have delivered 2 so far, A dealer in Georgia had exactly what I wanted on the lot, and they were willing match the deal I had at the local dealer so it was a no brainer, $79 bucks for an airline ticket, $100 in Gas, $75 for a hotel, = Mustang in the Driveway.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:03 PM
cyberjock4hire
1st Gear Member

Same thing here. Dealer would order GT I wanted but for a 4 - 6k premium on top of sticker. Saw a dealer in GA that had the exact car I wanted with all options I wanted, called them up paid for it over phone (for about 100 over invoice no less) , took a quick trip down there, Now I have my GT convert. What dealer did you purchase from ? I bought from Gwnett Ford.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:03 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Rippin n Tarrin

Thanks for all the good advice.

I hope I don't run into a big snow storm on the way home. I live in Philly and watching all the storms the midwest are getting now isn't going to look fun. That is were I am picking up the car.
I drove mine in the snow last week on the stock rubber and it was not all THAT bad.

I wouldn't recommend driving in snow on the stock tires but you will be fine if you are careful. The traction control works pretty well in keeping the car from surprising you when you are not used to it yet.

The snow here has melted and I have real snow tires now so I'm ready.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:18 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

hey i work in STamford CT, i had to go to Mass to buy mine, lets get together in the spring maybe, try to get ever one around to get together
Old 11-29-2005, 07:13 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I picked mine up at the port which is about 500+ miles from home. I made sure the car was at normal operating temperature before getting on the autobahn and then I was gone. Didn't use cruise control and varied the RPMs the whole way home. RPMs varied rather well between 135mph and 110mph all the way home. [sm=gears.gif] Had to go down to 110 because I came across this a couple of times.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21363/F897628C27464F05982F525C2C893A68.jpg[/IMG]

[sm=yikesomg.gif]
Old 12-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Lots of interesting opinions here.
The only thing I recall reading in the Manual, which you should try to get your eyes on BEFORE driving away from the dealership, is to not use the cruise control immediately. I think it said for the first 1000 miles but might be wrong...
Old 12-03-2005, 02:56 AM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Lots of interesting opinions here.
The only thing I recall reading in the Manual, which you should try to get your eyes on BEFORE driving away from the dealership, is to not use the cruise control immediately. I think it said for the first 1000 miles but might be wrong...

You're right, and the purpose is to vary RPMs which is what the book says to do for break in. You can use the CC, however, I wouldn't use it for a long period of time. Maybe 10-15 minutes or less, switch lanes, downshift, change the RPM band for a while, etc.

Quick Reply: long distance drive break in suggestions