Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinion on snow handling ability of 05-06 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 01:09 PM
StangIt

Default Your opinion on snow handling ability of 05-06 GT?

I searched and found some thoughts on this, but figured I would start a new post and ask. Maybe a few more people will have had their new 'Stangs out in some bad weather.

I am considering a new Mustang GT (2006) for a daily driver. However, I am somewhat concerned about the power, and RWD in the winter. I live in Buffalo, so we certainly can get some snow. I realize that it's not a 4WD or AWD, and that you have to take it easy in slick conditions (well, that is no different even if you have 4wd/awd anyway). I have never driven a RWD car in the snow (some FWD and a 4WD).

So what are your thoughts on it? With the Traction Control and a 5 speed manual, does it do a decent job of moving away from a dead stop? I'd probably get snow tires too. Also, how does it turn, stop, resistance to spinning, etc once underway. Does it remain balanced and fairly sure footed, or is it squirrely?

Thanks for your thoughts!

(PS, I am not considering a winter beater. Life is too short, and I don't want to be driving around in some old penalty box for a third of every year anymore. I know the Salt will rust it out eventually, but I drive 20,000+ miles a year anyway so it will be fairly tired by the time the rust would be a factor).

Thanks again for your help!
Old 12-03-2005, 02:42 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Your opinion on snow handling ability of 05-06 GT?

dude. The car rocks in the snow.

I have driven stangs in the winter for years and never had a problem.

I know you are in Buffalo and you guys tend to get a little more snow than we do in Toronto because of the lake effect, but the car is as good as any FWD car. You know that you are not going to be able to "launch" any car on snowy roads, but the mustang is as good or better than other cars if you keep you foot out of it.

I only got my '06 a week and a half ago and it snowed the first day I got it. I drove in about 4 inches of loose and packed snow with the stock rubber and it was not bad at all. In fact I was better than most or the other cars on the road who had all season tires. My buddy has a 4 door civic and he couldn't believe how good my car is.

You need real snow tires though. I have 235/55/17" dunlop M3 snows on it now and have been driving around in the snow testing it out. Let me tell you that it is a friggin tank! I don't slide at all and braking is comfortable and effortless. The traction control and ABS rarely come on unless you are pushing it to extremes. I feel really comfortable and safe. Even when you push it, the car is so well balanced that it is really easy to recover if it gets a little bit loose on you......in fact it is kinda fun to blip the throttle and kick the *** end out every once in awhile

Don't get me wrong, you could easily hurt yourself if you don't respect mother nature and the power of the car. Nothing is going to compensate for sensible driving because winter driving is just dangerous.

Oh yeah. I have a GT so the rear end locks. I don't imagine the open rear end cars would be nearly as good.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:48 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i think you will do fine in the snow, the car is heavy enough to keep it doing what you want it to do, but make sure you get snow tires just for safety issues, and if there is still a problem (very unlikely) i hear if you can put something heavy in your trunk you would be fine

as i have experienced (not fun) traction control only takes over when you are in a skid, you will know when it is working because you will feel your car give you a huge jerk and put you back on track, it works amazingly well
Old 12-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Mike, ya gotta post pics of that thing with the narley snowtires on it! I have yet to see a new Stang with snowtires on it or even a pic in one anywhere near snow! It would show the sun-belt guys what crap we have to put up with.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:33 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Redfire

Mike, ya gotta post pics of that thing with the narley snowtires on it! I have yet to see a new Stang with snowtires on it or even a pic in one anywhere near snow! It would show the sun-belt guys what crap we have to put up with.
need to get the film developed because i STILL haven't bought a digital cam. Hoping someone will get me one for christmas LOL.

Anyway, the snow tires look cool. They actually look better than the stockers because they are a little beefier. The dimensions are the same as the stock tires and they are on my stock 17" bullits......where they shall stay because my car just DESERVES shiny new 18s in the spring. I feel like it will have earned them after going through the abuse of winter.

anybody waht to buy the stock tires? Brand new. j/k [8D]
Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 AM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm going to find out tomorrow morning, supposed to get a few inches tonight so tomorrow morning i'm gonna try out the Mustang in the parking lot across the street.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:55 PM
StangIt

Thanks for everyone's reply! Sounds like there really isn't much to be concerned with as long as I have the right tires.

MikeHawke, I bet Buffalo isn't much different than Toronto regarding regular snowfall. Overall we more than likely get more snow because of the lake affect, but the real difference is probably the number of big storms we get (with say 1+ feet of snowfall). When it is that bad, generally nobody can go anywhere anyway, and even if you could get out there wouldn't be anyplace open to get to!

It sounds like the 'Stang would do good enough in the winter for me to have one as a daily driver!

Thanks again for the opinions! Now I'll have to see if I can locate one, or whether I'd have to order!
Old 12-04-2005, 03:03 PM
MR.Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Snowed here in Chicago last night. I have 265 35 18 blizzaks and they held the road very well. I had no issues starting from a dead stop. I also have an auto. I don't plan on driving on the snow anymore. I have a winter beater that need a heater core that I have not fixed yet.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:29 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

It can be difficult, especially with the GT and all the extra power. But if your a decent driver you can handle it. But be warrey, i know a lady who did fine most of the winter, got confident and ended up spinning out real bad.

she said it was fun tho
Old 12-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't drive it in winter, it's not the power or handling that concerns me, it's all the rocks on the street (another Canadian driver here). I put mine away the first day they sanded the roads here, the very next day I got a huge rock chip in my windshield on my winter beater. Plus, asides from the glass, it would tear up my stripes pretty bad too.

Quick Reply: Your opinion on snow handling ability of 05-06 GT?