Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 v8 or v6

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 11:41 PM
stoneblue
2nd Gear Member

Default 2006 v8 or v6

Need help, New to mustangs,45 and never owned a pony. Should I take what I can find from a dealer? Or order one?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:24 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2006 v8 or v6

if you are patient you can find gt's out there. i didn't order mine but found exactly(almost)what i wanted-torch red auto iup bullits black leather no side bags or mach1000. the only thing different i would have done if i ordered mine would have to delete the rear spoiler.i hate that piece of crap. i looked for about 6 months to see what was out there. try ebay there is usually 100 or more 05-06 listed new and used. i got lucky a local dealer ordered this for someone and he decided to buy a escape hybrid instead(???). just so happened that i called the day after it got in and bought it that day.

the V6 is not a bad choice if you aren't worried about racing it alot. if you want to play at the track get the gt. it has a stronger drivetrain, standard ABS and of course 300hp instead of 210hp (impressive for the base V6).
Old 12-05-2005, 12:52 AM
wmscottmc
1st Gear Member

Stoneblue,
Im also 45, and recently ordered a Mustang. I went with the V6 mainly because I didnt need a V8, wanted better gas mileage and less expense insurance, and I dont exactly plan in taking to the track and racing it. The GT would be cool to have, but Im about to finance my kids college, so I have other $$ priorities.

I tried to find the car with the options and color I wanted, but didnt have much luck so I ordered one. Im currently waiting for it, but in no hurry since I wont need a car until Feb.
Keep in mind that if you order a mustang it will probably take 8-12 weeks to receive it.

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:07 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

also, if you take from the dealer, you can knock a couple grand off (i got ~5k less than sticker)
if you cant find what you want on the lot and you decide to go with an order, you will, of cource ,get exactly what you want, but you will more than likely have to pay msrp (my dealer that i went to would not budge at all on price when i told him that i wanted to order my car, but a few weeks later i founde xactly what i wanted)...plus the 8-12 weeks will be the longest weeks of your life

if you cannot find what you want in your dealership(s) make sure you keep on looking around, and don't use the ford locator thing, it does not have very up-to-date, information in my experience. it took me a month of driving around and a lot of phone calls, but i eventually found EXACTLY what i was looking for

the decision between a v6 or a gt is based on pretty much based on things like if you want the car for show, if you will take it racing, if you care about milage, etc.

i hoped you found this helpful

good luck with your pony!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:34 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

chrisc Date 12/4/2005 11:07:05 PM

the decision between a v6 or a gt is based on pretty much based on things like if you want the car for show, if you will take it racing, if you care about milage, etc.

I would like to echo that sentiment. The V6 has plenty of power for me (noticably more than our previous Mustang - a '98 convertible). The GT's are bad@ss cars, but I didn't need the extra 90hp - eventually our son will be driving and I didn't want to have to worry about a 16yo behind the wheel of a GT (no, he wouldn't drive it all the time, but he might on occassion). Also, I plan to give the wife the Oh Five and drive my '66 regularly, and she doesn't need a GT.

Decide for yourself based upon your wants and needs. I agree with the earlier comment, saying you could get a better deal on a car sitting on the lot vs. ordering one. I found mine on the Ford website, and the dealer was less than 1.5 miles from my house. If you decide on a V6, look around and don't be afraid to walk away from the dealer (I walked out on my car the first day, and the salesman called me on my cell within 10 minutes to get me back in the door). GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Get the V8 maybe. I've been researching the insurance thing. Not a huge difference. All depends on the 'depth' and type of coverage you have. Just don't have your kids (if you have any) listed on as a driver on that car. That's where insurance will really rape you. Gas mileage..also not a huge difference.

I have a daughter that will be getting her permit soon. They want DOUBLE (nearly $1600 every six months with decent coverage) if she is rated on my 2000 V6 mustang vs my wifes 2006 V6 Escape. We're looking at other insurance companies right now because something doesn't sound right. I have Mercury insurance and I DO NOT recommend them. They will cover anyone that has permission to drive the vehicle that does not live in the household without charging extra yet charge up the **** for anyone added to the policy under 18 that lives with us. I.e. I have a nephew that lives across town that could drive my car all day long and won't cost us a dime to cover, yet my daughter can't drive my car unless she is on the policy because if anything happens they won't cover her unless she's on it...that's screwed.

That and my 00 is almost $100 more ever six months for collision as it is now, yet my car is 5 yrs old compared to my wifes Brand new car.... Do your research on the insurance.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:28 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Do a search to see if any dealer near you has what you want...in our area Tulsa,OK there are several on the lots to choose from now! Check this site out http://www.fordvehicles.com/dealersh...cate/index.asp ..its how I found a dealer that had some Mustangs to test drive when they were flying off the lot faster than they could get them in May...and ended up buying one through that dealer as he was able to get us one from another dealer out of state since we really wanted the Sonic Blue color. Also with so many sitting on the lots right now you should be able to get a pretty darn good deal on a Mustang!