Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winter storage tips anyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 04:45 AM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: winter storage tips anyone

ORIGINAL: Sonic Boom NH

You can wax a new car from the factory the day you get it off the truck from the factory. Cars painted at the factory are cured as soon as they leave. They are backed were as a car painted at an auto body shop is not, or if it does see an oven its not at the temperatures seen at the factory since you have fabrics etc already installed in the car.

At the factory they are backed with nothing installed and thus higher temperatures in order to actually cure the paint.

If a car was repaired and repainted at an auto body shop you should wait at least 30 – 45 days before waxing.

So, yes you can wax right away. You can put a car cover on right away as well, regardless if it is waxed or not.

Just make sure you wash it real good so there is not dirt on the body of the car. Will it be parked outside or inside a garage? The reason I ask is if it is parked outside it might not be a good idea to put a cover on it because of wind. Any little bit of dust or dirt that will get under the cover, between the cover and paint, can act like sandpaper and do more harm to the paint then without ever having a cover on it.

However they do make different types of covers. Some are for indoor use only, while others, like the one I have, can be used indoors or outside. The difference is that generally the indoor only types are not as thick and durable as those designed for outdoors. If it’s a custom fit cover and for outdoors AND you have it on very snug you might be ok. If you know you’re going to have a windy day I would take it off and wait for the wind to stop, then wash and then recover.

Here is where I bought my car cover from: https://bigskycarcovers.com/catalog/index.asp

Hope that helps…
Thanks for the reply! My car will be parked inside, so the wind won't play a part in the storage. I hope the factory detail will be good enough as far as cleansing the car and assuming there is no snow or salt on the road when I pick it up, I will wax it and cover it as soon as I get it in the garage. What cover would you recommend for an indoor storage for a car kept in an unheated garage (don't know if that info helps or not). Thanks for your insight, it is appreciatted!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

You’re welcome…

Since you will be picking this up may I HIGHLY recommend that you call your dealer and TELL them to NOT in any way, other then removing the plastic covering from seats etc, to do ANY detailing to your car.

Dealers are notorious for crappy detailing of vehicles. Generally some young person, new person, is usually responsible for washing and sometimes waxing a new vehicle. This is where, many times, scratches and/or swirl marks can be introduced to the paint.

When ever I purchase a new vehicle I make it very CLEAR to the dealer NOT to touch my vehicle during the preparation, other then to remove the plastic covering from seats etc. When I purchase my Lightning my dealer already knew I was **** about my vehicles and asked if I wanted to remove the plastic covering from my seats and I told them “Yep…” so I drove it home and then prepped the truck myself. ****? Absolutely but its in perfect condition and I, like many people, have more pride in my vehicle them most people who work at dealerships.

Some dealers love to use Armor-all or other detailing products to smear a bunch of greasy crap all over the interior and on the wheels. Usually the crap they put on the wheels flings off all over the paint. The stuff they use, like Armor-all, is a real pain in the butt to remove.

Mustangs and Lightning’s to me are very special vehicles but to many dealers they are just “another” vehicle. When I help my daughter purchase her first car, a 2005 Focus they asked me if I wanted them to leave it alone since it was “only” a Focus. I told them yes that I would take care of it. Only a Focus, its someone’s pride and joy…
Old 12-12-2005, 10:37 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

I like your explanation the best. I"m going to tell a friend about your max air trick. I don't need to worry about this stuff, but I did read one time about having a light bulb under the cover, I thnk it was a motorcycle article. How about one in the car, one or two under the car?
Thank you…

I personally would NOT use a light bulb under the cover or inside the car. The reason some may do this is to keep moisture out. It is dangerous to use a light bulb because they put off heat. The heat will help keep moisture out but that heat could also start a fire.

The best way to combat moisture is with desiccant. It absorbs moisture and is more efficient at removing moisture then a heated source such as a light bulb. You would want to use the desiccant inside the vehicle. The other thing a light bulb could do, because of its heat, is draw rodents to stay in such a nice warm, well lit environment…
Old 12-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

I should have explained myself better about why to wait on waxing a vehicle that has been painted at an auto body shop.

What happens is due to an auto body shop not being able to bake a vehicle at high enough temperatures is there are still solvents in the paint. These solvents generally take 30 – 45 days to finally and completely seep out of the paint.

If you wax over the paint prior to all the solvents seeping out, or drying up, is the wax will act as a barrier and block the solvents from seeping out, or for the paint to completely cure.

Since they are blocked they could cause the paint to cloud up and also keep the paint soft until fully cured. Soft paint is much easier to scratch or mare up until fully cured. I believe auto body shops will generally ask you to wait a few weeks to even wash a new paint job just for that very reason, soft paint…
Old 12-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Sonic Boom NH
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang9325

What cover would you recommend for an indoor storage for a car kept in an unheated garage (don't know if that info helps or not). Thanks for your insight, it is appreciatted!
Sorry, I missed that part. I would personally recommend the NOAH from Covercraft. It’s an indoor/outdoor cover. The link I provided had the best prices when I purchased mine last year. It is also a custom fit cover so it fits nice and snug. It provides some limited protection against dings because it’s a bit padded. To tell the truth I would never test it to see how it is for ding protection but nonetheless its not a real thin cover.

The NOAH from Covercraft can be purchased from many places so do a search on the web and see where you can get the best price. Hopefully the link I provided still has the best price but who knows a year later…
Old 12-13-2005, 03:00 AM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

Great information! Never even thought about the young kids that are detailing the cars. Nonetheless, I will tell my dealer not to prep the car. Man, washing my car in Michigan in mid January is not going to be fun, but ya gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Can you guys comment on the car cover question. First of all I don't think anyone mentioned "moth *****". You can have your windows up and exhaust covered but mice can get into any vehicle they want. I will use my 06 GT on occasional "clean road days" here in the NE this winter. I've never felt that letting a car sit idle for 4 mos is wise. (So you pay a little more for insurance). I have had many cars (now also have 61 Fairlane 2Dr, 292TBird, 4-speed hurst; 75 orig miles) and I put moth ***** in a small netted bag like onions come in. Put one or better two near each tire and sprinkle some around the perimeter of the garage. You're car will not smell like moth ***** but the mice do stay away. I don't have any other item in the garage so why would I cover it? Covering it is just what the mice want you to do. They love anything covered. (...ask them) I had my 61 Fairlane covered with an expensive fitted cover (and had some mothballs down, not much though) and they chewed through the headliner under the visor; UGH!!!. (Cover for sale...) I've been leaving a small florescent light on 24x7 (cost pennies) and may leave this old am/fm boom box I have on low, 24x7. I keep a few traps out in the garage corners just as a test to know if "any unwanted" guest still are interested in checking out a new 06 GT. (Don't use any poison that will kill mice; they may die in your car) Unless you have other reasons to (and dust isn't good enough), do not cover it. Now this is for you guys where mice are prevelant like up here in New England. Yeah leave your visors down (lol).
Old 12-14-2005, 06:27 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

thanks for all the info, especially about the rodents, didnt consider that, being up hear in th NE, thx to all
Old 12-14-2005, 06:52 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: goxley11

I plan to leave mine in the garage all winter. But I would expect to have a decent day every couple of weeks (dry, sunny) to take it to work. We have days like that in southern Indiana. If I lived in Minnesota, I might be singing a different tune.
Yeah, same here in Maryland. I'll drive it to work once a week if there's no crap on the roads, and a day on the weekend under the same conditions. My biggest worry is having to wash it in freezing weather if I get deicing residues on it from earlier snows...

John