Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Gt lacking power Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Speedeamon
1st Gear Member

Default My Gt lacking power Why?

I was wondering if someone experianced this with thier mustang or know the reason for this. When i first test drove the mustang before buying my own thats the gt offcourse it had sooo much power. The automatic transmission one when i was at a full stop and gave it for throttle it burned rubber for about 3 meters. It was soo strong. However when i purchased my automatic transmission gt the first day i took it out of the dealers lot and was driving home i felt the car had no power like the one i test drove. The first 300 miles from a complet stop when i throtel it down it burned rubber. Then after 3 or 4 times it stopped completly from burning rubber from a stop. I mean this is a 300 horsepower car it should from a complete stop burn rubber like crazy. And if your woundering i did have the traction controll of. So i took the car to the ford dealer ship service center and the guy told me we really cant tell now you have to atleast complete the 700 km break in before the engine opens up. Well i did and the car still dosent burn at all like the test drive model and like mine did when i first purchased it. The car is only 4 days old. Please if anyone here has an automatic mustang gt 2005 does yours burn rubber from a complete stup to full throtel and if any one has an advice regarding this problem i would really appriciate it that is if it should be burning rubber from a complete stop. Sorry for such a long typo but i need to know incase my car is a lemmon.

Regards,

American muscle car Lover.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:24 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My Gt lacking power Why?

I own a Automatic 05.

There are several factors at play here:

-Road conditions. It's entirely possible to, at one WOT launch, burn rubber for (what seems like) an eternity and then on the next launch to grip and get gone.
-Seat position can actually effect how a car feels. If your head is further from the headrest (seat slanted further back) you feel like you're being pushed into the seat harder.
-Finally, your car always feels slower than someone elses car. You get used to the feel of your torque and, regardless of whether or not another car is actually faster, it feels faster to you.
-Weather can SEVERELY affect our performance. A cold engine in my Stang will feel so very much faster than it does when it is hot.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong with your car, but these could possibly be causing what you percieve as poor power.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:37 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

engine temp, weather, roads, A/C, Defrost

all CAN drain performance
Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

With the auto trans. you have torque management, you need to get a different tune. Either a Diabalo Predator tuner or the sct and a cold air system. There has been many threads explaining how this works. Do a search and you will find everthing you need. I had the same problem as you but after a tune I can burn rubber on any surface, with the air on, and I also have replaced the stock tires with much bigger ones and still have no problem. I don't know why the one you drove was able to burn rubber so easy, but I know everyone else with the auto has complained about this problem before a tune.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Speedeamon
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys really appriciate your feedback. And cfr865 i just wanted to know regarding the tune does ford do that or do i need a chip.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:37 PM
stangxs
1st Gear Member

turn TRACTION CONTROL OFF... you'll burn rubber, not matter what the conidtions are...
Old 12-09-2005, 03:41 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Definitely a tune. You should have no issues then.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I have the GT Convertible... Important because it is a little heaver then the coupe.

Automatic...

When I first got mine it would do a strong squeek on take off, then bite and GO...

then I got a tune.... and added my shaker... NOW it goes like a bat out of hell.... I have to be careful ANYTIME I take off while turning or it will spin tires every time without trying... IF at a stop light I nail it... is sits and smokes until I take my foot off of the gas.

Get a tune... that will remove any anomalies you might have.

You might ask your Ford dealership to reflash the factor tune first thought... just in case your factory tune is messed up.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:51 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Great points, I wonder if using cheap gas could cause this as well, some places use less than 87 octane but market it as 87 anyway or maybe he's using ethenol based gas.

Speedeamon, what kind of gas you using? I know they say 87 is fine but I'm one of those that won't put swill into a car. Is it possible you bought some bad gas?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:02 PM
RobD

Tires are a little slippery when new. If the GT you drove had low mileage, both it and your showroom new GT would likely spin brand new tires more easily than tires with some miles on them. Fresh tires probably have some mold release agents still left on them which make them slippery. New tires also go through heat cycles which strengthen the molecules in the rubber...I'm not sure, but this may also contribute to more grip. Lastly, new tires get scuffed up with miles which probably increases their grip. I mention this because you're not saying the car's not pulling hard from a roll, you keep referring to the ability to spin tires as a measurement of power.

Quick Reply: My Gt lacking power Why?