Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nit picks and annoyances

Old 12-09-2005, 02:51 PM
MikeyStang

Default Nit picks and annoyances

I love our 05 GT and was immediately taken by how well the car performed for the price. After driving it for about 6 months now, however, I find that there are a few really annoying things that Ford needs to fix on this car. I wonder if anyone else finds this same list of things annoying, or if maybe I just haven't found the right way to do some of these and someone can set me straight?

(1) Headrests: I've complained from day one about how the headrests push your head forward and I find that both my wife and I have to recline the seat to the point that it is uncomfortable just to keep the headrests from rubbing the back of our heads as we drive.

(2) Front seats: I really can't stand how the front seat-backs work. To let someone in the back, you have to fold the seat forward and then set the position again manually. There is no quick release like most cars that allows you to just pop the seat forward and then move it back to where it was. Worse, if you only have one hand available and you try to use that big gawdy lever on the back of the seat to flick the seat forward to put some carryout behind the seat, you flick the lever with your right hand and it is difficult to keep the lever pulled up as the seat goes forward so it always grinds and ratchets and stops long before the full forward position.

(3) High beams: I find the high/low beam lever to be very poorly designed in that when you pull back on the stalk, you get high beams immediately but when someone is bearing down on you and you need to get the high beams off as quickly as possible, they won't turn off until you pull the stalk all the way back, release it, and then they finally go back to low beams once it is fully released. If Ford really needed a poor design like this at least they could have made the low-to-high switch the slow one not the high-to-low where it always appears that you are at least a second too slow from avoiding blinding people.

(4) Tilt steering: I should say "movable column" because that's what it is. Like many imports, the tilt steering just raises/lowers the entire steering column making the tilt nearly useless. I just set it and don't even use it any more. It's certainly no help getting in and out of the car and I can't tilt it to where I want it anyway because it just lowers the entire column and blocks the gauges.

(5) Ignition switch: The ignition switch (key hole) is so low on the steering column that if you have a key ring, your other keys will constantly be dangling and bouncing up against your leg as you drive.

(6) Seat belt release: The seat belt release switch is so far down between the driver's seat and the center console that they might as well have mounted it under the seat! I always find myself using two fingers to try to poke the buckle down in that little recessed slot between the seat and the console to buckle it. And no... I'm not fat.

(7) Shifter: The T-shifter for the automatic seems a bit "unsure" especially when you put it in park. It doesn't seem to "click" into park like all other automatics I've driven so sometimes I find that it isn't all the way in park.

(8) Wipers: This is my wife's complaint so it is second hand: she claims that the delay function is about useless because there is only one delay speed and it never seems to match what you want.

Anyway, just some observations that I was hoping others might comment on to tell me how they deal with these issues IF they have had these complaints. My wife and I both still love the car but even saying that, flame suit on!

Mike
Old 12-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Nit picks and annoyances

(5) Ignition switch: The ignition switch (key hole) is so low on the steering column that if you have a key ring, your other keys will constantly be dangling and bouncing up against your leg as you drive.
ahhhhhhh I HATE that, it annoys me so much while im driving, its a big distraction, i've actually kind of gotten used to it though but time to time i find myself fiddling with it to keep it out of my way.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

not to be a stooge here but do you guys test drive a car before you buy it? If you can't stand the test drive, don't buy it no matter how much you like the car overall.

I know a test drive won't point out all the little things you may notice down the road but still. The headrest thing, tilt steering, seatbelt release all seem like a no brainers.

We passed on a 04 explorer a couple years ago back when we were looking to replace my wifes 02 escape. We noticed a few things that on a daily driver (squishy rear suspension) that were just unacceptable. So we passed.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:07 PM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

I think the headrest are positioned better in the Mustang than any other car...when I first saw them, I thought they were positioned wrong...too far foward but I have realized...I can sit there and rest my head against it (i am 6ft tall)and be able to look straight forward while driving.....where as in other cars you have to tilt your head back to be able to touch it. I do too agree about the seat back release...I would of figured the button on the back of the seat would allow you to snap the seat back to where it was and the lever at the bottom of the seat would allow for the adjustment....just my 2 cents.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeyStang

(8) Wipers: This is my wife's complaint so it is second hand: she claims that the delay function is about useless because there is only one delay speed and it never seems to match what you want.
I have more than one speed available... Not to ask a stupid question, but has she tried rotating the little dial on the wiper controls when it's on delay?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:10 PM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

ding ding ding...we have a winner !!! lol
Old 12-09-2005, 04:12 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Traken

I have more than one speed available... Not to ask a stupid question, but has she tried rotating the little dial on the wiper controls when it's on delay?
Yeah, I don't get that one either. I seem to have plenty of adjustment on my wiper delay.

I dig the headrests and I am 6' tall. The seatbelt and tilt steering don't bother me either.

The backseat thing is a little annoying but the backseats are useless anyway LOL.

I guess I am just looking at it from a different perspective because I came out of an '03 GT. Let me tell ya that this car is WAY better engineered than that POS.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:45 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Mike you make some excellent points! Sorry for the long reply but I felt it was a good post to reply to!

I love our 05 GT and was immediately taken by how well the car performed for the price. After driving it for about 6 months now, however, I find that there are a few really annoying things that Ford needs to fix on this car. I wonder if anyone else finds this same list of things annoying, or if maybe I just haven't found the right way to do some of these and someone can set me straight?

(1) Headrests: I've complained from day one about how the headrests push your head forward and I find that both my wife and I have to recline the seat to the point that it is uncomfortable just to keep the headrests from rubbing the back of our heads as we drive.
My wife has given up on the headrests and wants me to remove them in her car, she's 5'4 and they push her head forward, she hates them! I'm 6'0 and they don't bother me but I can see how they would **** someone off. Why not let us adjust them like everybody else does.

(2) Front seats: I really can't stand how the front seat-backs work. To let someone in the back, you have to fold the seat forward and then set the position again manually. There is no quick release like most cars that allows you to just pop the seat forward and then move it back to where it was. Worse, if you only have one hand available and you try to use that big gawdy lever on the back of the seat to flick the seat forward to put some carryout behind the seat, you flick the lever with your right hand and it is difficult to keep the lever pulled up as the seat goes forward so it always grinds and ratchets and stops long before the full forward position.
This is why nobody is allowed in my back seat. But it's a valid point, even Christams shopping can be a pain because of this.

(3) High beams: I find the high/low beam lever to be very poorly designed in that when you pull back on the stalk, you get high beams immediately but when someone is bearing down on you and you need to get the high beams off as quickly as possible, they won't turn off until you pull the stalk all the way back, release it, and then they finally go back to low beams once it is fully released. If Ford really needed a poor design like this at least they could have made the low-to-high switch the slow one not the high-to-low where it always appears that you are at least a second too slow from avoiding blinding people.
I like how they have this setup, they come on before the click for flash to pass and require a click to turn off. They work smoothly unlike my Buick which sucks to turn them on flash them or turn them off.

(4) Tilt steering: I should say "movable column" because that's what it is. Like many imports, the tilt steering just raises/lowers the entire steering column making the tilt nearly useless. I just set it and don't even use it any more. It's certainly no help getting in and out of the car and I can't tilt it to where I want it anyway because it just lowers the entire column and blocks the gauges.
Same here, worthless, set it once and forget it, not worth messing with.

How about in the dash, now that would be cool! I hate the current location.

(6) Seat belt release: The seat belt release switch is so far down between the driver's seat and the center console that they might as well have mounted it under the seat! I always find myself using two fingers to try to poke the buckle down in that little recessed slot between the seat and the console to buckle it. And no... I'm not fat.
This one is a big one for me, the seatbelts are an absolute joke, I have big shoulders and the damn strap rubs against my neck (my wife calls me no neck, ugh) no adjustment for it, this sucks. Having to click the belt in or out blows as well (ok, I'm not skinny, but why only design it for those that are?). My wife got me a wrap for my belt which just makes it feel funny against my neck, but at least it doesn't skin me anymore.

(7) Shifter: The T-shifter for the automatic seems a bit "unsure" especially when you put it in park. It doesn't seem to "click" into park like all other automatics I've driven so sometimes I find that it isn't all the way in park.
My wife has the AT V6 which seems to have a positive feel for each gear, maybe yours needs to be adjusted?

Not to be rude, but she is using the wheel in the lever to adjust right? The are several delays to choose from.

Anyway, just some observations that I was hoping others might comment on to tell me how they deal with these issues IF they have had these complaints. My wife and I both still love the car but even saying that, flame suit on!

Mike
Mike, I thought they were excellent observations, Ford needs to pay attention because they need to address many of them for future cars, although many of these are old gripes and seem to be ignored.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:47 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

The '03 was decent wasn't it? Compare it to the '94 to '98 model and it's much improved no?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:18 PM
MikeyStang

First let me say that none of the things I mentioned would have stopped us from buying the car as we did notice a good number of them before we bought it so that's not an issue. It's not like we wish we hadn't bought it. I'll have to check the wipers out myself. She claims she rotated everything she could find to set the delay but that nothing worked. After hearing the replies, I think she must have just been having trouble working the stick right... that happens to the best of wives occasionally. Also, I think height must be the deciding factor as to whether or not you'll like the headrests. I'm 5'8" and that might be a bad height for these things. Some simple way of adjusting the headrest angle sure would make a lot of people happy!

Edit: (8) is officially retracted! I just talked to the wife and asked her to confirm that she tried turning the delay-adjust dial. Her response was, "Uh, well, I guess not." So that's that. Her car review privileges have been revoked!

Mike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nit picks and annoyances