Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 22kart22
Ok guys this is what you do.

1. Go to home depot
2. Take out a loan
3. Buy a 5500 peak watt generator
4. Strap it onto your roof.
5. When you want to start the car, give the generator a pull
6. put some loudmouths on your generator
7. Problem solved
Home Dopet loans you money on the spot for generators?

Originally Posted by Professor Wizard
Turn everything off... remove key...

Disconnect the Power Cable from the Battery.. then put an AMP/Volt meter on the + post and the Power Cable.. see if your car is drawing juice and how much.

It will draw a little... the clock for the radio... Memory store function of the computer.. but it should be VERY low Amps...
Actually a non shaker equipped stang pulls about 1.5Amps just sitting
there. A smaller 1A battery tender cant overcome the 1.5A parasitic draw
of the S197 stang. I went to a 2A cyclic charger that goes up to 13.5V
and then shuts off and stays off until the battery voltage reaches 12.3V
and then the 2A charger comes back on again until the battery reaches
13.5V again. After 15 of these cycles, the charger then requires the battery
to reach about 15V before shutting off to help equalize the cells.
Just a few Op-Amps, some 15 turn 10K pots, couple of diodes and
a binary ripple counter and you are in the busisness of S197 battery
maintence....

Last edited by 157dB; 08-29-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Mine has pulled this **** once on me.

I'm 99% sure it was the Shaker. Ever since I always shut it off before cutting the engine and before opening the doors. No problems since.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Actually a non shaker equipped stang pulls about 1.5Amps just sitting there. A smaller 1A battery tender cant overcome the 1.5A parasitic draw of the S197 stang.
After 45 minutes of having all electrical accessories turned off, the parasitic draw should not exceed 50 MILLIAMPS.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM
Petglibgt

Here's an update on my Mustang 2008 dead battery story...over the weekend I pulled both the Shaker fuse & Fog Light relay which, according to this thread, are the main causes for the battery draw. Battery was 100% charged indicating 13.1 volts...after just 12 hours...battery had only 12.3 volts left over and indicator showed 65%. I am sure that after two days the battery would be dead again. My conclusion is that in my case, it can't be the Shaker nor the Fog Lights relay ? Drove it to the dealership this morning again. I wonder what they will do now. To be continued...
Old 09-03-2009, 04:13 AM
miamimike

Unhappy More of the same

Just starting my 3rd year of ownership of my 07 v6 (NO SHAKER).Bought the car from a NJ dealership.Battery was flat then,but accepted the vehicle had been standing.When the car arrived in Southampton Docks,battery was flat.
If the car is not used every two days the battery will be fully discharged.A replacement more superior battery has been fitted...no suprises here...still dead after two days.
Dealership advice,as unable to access electricity in my garage,is to disconnect the battery after each journey!.It does seem amazing that such a widespread problem,after 4years,remains a mystery.How I lament the passing of my 91 Mustang,17 years without one hiccup!!.Certainly payback time for me now!!!
Anyone who solves my problem will get a free tour of London + beer (providing I can get the car started).Rise to the challenge lads!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:48 AM
firestang24
2nd Gear Member

my battery just took the final $hit on me. so i go to replace it. the long screw holding down the plastic securing piece is corroded, and so it snaps when i go to unscrew it. the battery is now stuck in the tray......dead. after three @@@##$$$%ing hours, i finally manage to wriggle the bastard free. now i go to remove the tray..... all three srew heads are so rusted out i cannot get them turned without shearing what's left of the metal off. so here i sit 4 days after the original dead battery, it's raining out, and i can't get my car done. i have never wanted to set fire to something so bad.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yikes. Probably to late now but did you try any pb blaster on those corroded screw heads?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by miamimike
Just starting my 3rd year of ownership of my 07 v6 (NO SHAKER).Bought the car from a NJ dealership.Battery was flat then,but accepted the vehicle had been standing.When the car arrived in Southampton Docks,battery was flat.
If the car is not used every two days the battery will be fully discharged.A replacement more superior battery has been fitted...no suprises here...still dead after two days.
Dealership advice,as unable to access electricity in my garage,is to disconnect the battery after each journey!.It does seem amazing that such a widespread problem,after 4years,remains a mystery.How I lament the passing of my 91 Mustang,17 years without one hiccup!!.Certainly payback time for me now!!!
Anyone who solves my problem will get a free tour of London + beer (providing I can get the car started).Rise to the challenge lads!
You need to have the parasitic draw tested. After sitting for at least 45 minutes with all the electrical systems turned off, the draw should not exceed 50 milliamperes. If it does, then fuses need to be pulled one by one until the offending circuit is determined.

Also, it is possible that the replacement battery is bad.

Has the alternator been tested?

Old 09-03-2009, 02:19 PM
firestang24
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Yikes. Probably to late now but did you try any pb blaster on those corroded screw heads?
tried it two days ago. nothing. had to go to sears and buy a bolt remover drillbit. of course that worked. isn't technology great! after getting the broke dick battery tray out i noticed how much rust and corrosion was under it. cleaned and scrubbed it with baking soda. hopefully that will hold for a while.
P.O.S. battery bull$hit!!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Man that sucks. I've got an 06 I hope mine isn't that bad. I'll need a battery in a year or two I'm sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery