Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Veight

Default RE: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

Sorry for the confusion- No CDs low current draw(time/preset memory power)
CDs in radio-higher current draw. I always had 6 CDs loaded prior to this summer.
Haven't miss a start since I emptied the CD changer.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Larry65401

Thebattery in my 05 Mustang V6 convertible has gone dead twice now. This time the dealer found a Tech Service Bulletin, TSB 07-5-13, that describes the condition. Itsays that all the little electrical drains add up and if the 05-08 Mustang is left undriven for about 30 days, mine seems to go dead in three weeks, the batterydrains entirely. And it isn't just on the Mustang. It is also the 2005 Explorer Sport Trac, the 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac (wonder what they did different in 2006), the 2005-2008 Expedition, the 2005-2008 Lincoln Navigator and the 2005-2008 Mercury Mountaineer. The solution they tell the dealer is to havethe customer buy a battery maintainer or charger. I don't thing that is much of an answer. We should all write Ford and tell them what we think of their solution and which GM product we are going to buy next.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Veight

Got my new radio installed by Ford today(5/13). Loaded in disc and so far so good drove car 25 miles at 55-75 mph so that should bring battery upto full charge for spring. Either way it started the car fine since i took it out of winter storage.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:21 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MyGrabberOrangeGT

My sister works at the local dealership and they havefive '07s on the lot. She told me that one of them always needs a jump start after sitting a couple weeks. One out of five, hmm. So far mine has no issues with this.
Which reminds me of when I bought my car, there were two '06 leftover GT's on the lot, a red one and my car. I went into the red one to check it out, put the key in, dead as a doornail. That turned me off right there, although I didn't know about this problem with these cars yet, I'm glad I chose my car, it started right up!!! I've had my car sitting in my driveway for 3 -4 weeks at a time, even in the dead of winter, it starts right up, no problems whatsoever. I do have active anti theft, and I've always had a habit of shutting all accesories off before leaving any car I've owned, so having the radio on when shutting off is not an issue. Had the car since Nov '06, 17k miles, and no battery issues yet...( can't say that for the passenger side leak though!)
Old 05-14-2008, 04:37 PM
07vbluestang
2nd Gear Member

had the same problem on my 07 gt. i have tried to start it twice after 2 weeks of sitting and the battery was dead. the third time it started and drove for an half hour, shut it off to get gas and would not start. had to call a friend at midnight to jump start it. it has only 2000 miles on it. still dont know the problem for sure!!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

My first battery only lasted me two years. Still on the second one. Car was born 9/21/2004.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 PM
bobchez

Default battery draining

has anyone ever contacted ford motor company about the battery draining problem ? if so any reply from them ?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 PM
paul figlia

I had this problem with my 05 GT with the shaker 1000 system, the amps in the rear subwoofer stay on if you don't turn off the radio.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM
cegha
2nd Gear Member

Well I have heard numerous issues on this subject. I would say that most of the problems seem to stem from the fact of the Shaker Headunit.

I believe Ford has acknowledged that the Shaker headunits have trouble when left on, ie running when the car is turned off. They go haywire and like start playing cd shuffle madness, or the amps don't kick off etc.

The easiest solution is the source of the problem. Get rid of the Shaker headunit causing the draining battery and run a aftermarket headunit that will solve the problem. Upgrade to a better battery (Optima), or buy a battery trickler charger thing (as others said).

As said i believe Ford knows there is a issue with the Shaker headunits but they arn't worried about fixing it. I can't remember if there is a TSB on this issue.

I know the only thing any dealer will do for you under warrenty is give you another one of those crappy batteries, and in about 3 weeks of sitting, your going to be right back where you started. So either new battery or new headunit would be the easiest solution.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Veight

sure did... all they said was --- well we will send you an arbitration packet and we can work out returning the car or buying it back more or less.

I told them I don't want to get rid of it I just want it fixed.
Theysaid they cn fix what they can't find broken.

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery