Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by budman17
I recently stored away my 2007 Shelby GT 500 for the winter. I was told to unplug the negative cable on the battery so it won't be dead in the spring.
So I opened the hood, shut the door, the window goes up, I unplug the battery, and shut the hood. Then I realized that I cannot open the door because the window will not go down. So how do I open the hood??
You open the driver's side door by pulling on the handle and carefully pulling the top part of the window glass outward very slightly at the same time.

Last edited by Art161; 12-22-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Or use your acrobatic skills, and crawl in thru the trunk(if it's not a vert).
Old 12-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Beerhunter

Originally Posted by thedrod
Seriously, my car battery died 6 times in the first year. I changed the radio out with an aftermarket one, and it stopped. That same battery lasted for 3 years. Its the damn radio.
I've replaced my head unit and I still have the problem. Not always the shaker. I haven't swapped out the fog light relay yet though and I'm hoping that is the problem.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Rsmin
1st Gear Member

Default Shoot

Ok, now it's my turn. Have been away from the forums for a while. I have 49,000 miles on my 2006 GT and for the first time in over 4 years I have the dead battery issue. Local store said my battery was ok, but after reading all the issues i am currently not sure what it is.... My driving hasn't changed much in the last 3 1/2 years. I work out of my home, so much of my driving is sparadic around town. Drive almost every day but not for more that 10 to 15 minutes one way. Currently charging my battery tonight with all 3 of the Shaker fuses pulled out. Will see if the charge holds this time with those out. I am hoping it is something as simple as the battery or Shaker.. We shall see. Just amazing that I haven't had this happen one time in over 4 years.

Will keep you posted.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 PM
HelgatheHorse

Default Phantom Battery Drain

I believe the problem is related to a relay since I've dismissed the stereo (I always turn it off before shutting off the car). I have found the trunk light drawing current occasionally in the past and have removed it yet the problem lingers.

I do not drive the car often and thus keep it on a battery tender. However, sometimes the tender stays on (charges) for hours despite taking the car out for a short time. If I reset the ignition (cycle the power on and off with the key) it appears to resolve the problem. Hence, something is not always getting shutoff with the car. This may indicate a faulty computer or a sticking (mechanical) relay.

Originally Posted by Koolade
Going to start calling some freinds that are Engineers for Ford later today to see if they have any insight (guess it going to be no, but worth a shot) and if I'm not mistaken here are what I've read on here may be the culprits:

relay between the battery and fuse box
relay for the fog lights that draws constant power
crap stock battery (seriously this shouldn't be an issue with a modern car, should it?)
not turning the Shaker stereo off (tried this, still went dead after a 3 hour drive)
not taking the CD's out (see issue above, same drive, same "fix" same dead battery)
and a relay that supposedly draws power until the door is opened
and lastly the possibility of the window switches "sticking"
Old 10-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Invective

Default An old thread for sure.

Thinking i've posted to Mustang Forums before but can't find any of the info I used so I've reregistered.

My 2005 GT has less than 15k miles; changed the battery for the first time today. Went with the Motorcraft BXL-40R over the stock unit due to vastly improved specs. Battery fits the tray once the plastic spacers are removed. The original insulation sleeve won't fit the new battery for obvious reasons; anyone have an opinion about its usefulness or otherwise?

Some tidbits I've picked up over the years regarding my car.

Parasitic power loss:

Should never be more than 50 mAH after the car has been sitting for over 40 minutes.

Most common culprit:

The radio. The problem was corrected with the 2008 units ($600+)
Old 10-05-2013, 01:17 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

When I went to a 40R from a 96R I used the larger insulation sleeve. Heat is the enemy of batteries, and I figured that Ford wouldn't have used it in the first place if they didn't think it was helpful.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:05 AM
Invective

Default Battery Insulation Sleeve

Originally Posted by Art161
When I went to a 40R from a 96R I used the larger insulation sleeve. Heat is the enemy of batteries, and I figured that Ford wouldn't have used it in the first place if they didn't think it was helpful.
I prefer to err on the side of caution too. The dealer was adamant I didn't need one - sell more batteries?!? Will locate and/or order one this morning. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Invective

Default Part Number?

Originally Posted by Art161

Hi Art161,

Can you post the part number for your 40R sleeve? The local dealer is giving me a couple of numbers from the Fusion. I'd like to get it today if I can locate the correct one. Motorcraft Online is only showing the 96R sleeve under 2005 Mustang GT.

6E5Z10A687AA and 7E5Z10A687A

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

7R3Z-10A687-A.

I'm a skeptical person. Perhaps the dealer said you didn't need one because there was none in stock, and the dealer wanted to make the battery sale. My sleeve had to be ordered because the dealer didn't have the part in stock.

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Dead Battery