Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still Having a Very Scary Problem W/My Pony

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 02:54 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default Still Having a Very Scary Problem W/My Pony

Okay, this freaks me out. It's intermittant, best I can say is that it only happens when you get on it hard after an extended high speed (interstate) drive of 30min+.

The Horse almost bucks me. At first, the throttle responds picking up about 200 RPM before going dead silent, and dropping down. It then responds again and then cuts out...

This is really starting to freak me out! Is this normal (a safeguard for the tranny, perhaps?) Anyone else experienced this?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:55 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Still Having a Very Scary Problem W/My Pony

Im pretty sure that is normal, it has to to with the emissions control on the drive by wire setup and throttle body.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:56 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

I'm just checking... Everytime it happens I almost shat myself. Hehe. Don't want a dead pony!
Old 12-26-2005, 02:57 AM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

There are a few other threads concerning this issue, i trying to find them.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:58 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

I posted one a long long time ago, got no clear response. I was making a trip with my g/f to see her family today and it happened again... Scared the shiza outta me.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:39 AM
mylilgt

I have the same problem after driving to work (1 hour) I hit traffic in the town I'm working in and it will just cut out/cough so to speak this has almost caused two accidents due to it happing when changing lanes. Of course this little event never shoots a code to the computer so my dealer wanted me to put the recorder in and have me push the button wheen it happens again. Politely told the dealer having a semi almost sitting in my back seat will not give me the oppertunity to calmly think about the button while trying to save myself and the car. This is a tuning problem that Ford is going to have to correct at some time in the future so we will probably have to live with it until then. This doesn't help the problem but does let you know there many more out their with the same problem.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:18 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

I have faced this as well. Does this happen with the m/t as well? I have an auto. It has happened to me twice on long trips. The thing that I have done to deal with it is to drop her out of OD and punch it. It only happens if 5th. I am of the opinion that the puter is thinking it needs to downshift but it gets confused when you are already going 70. So when you manaully take her out of OD she responds just the way she should. I might be wrong but I believe its an auto issue.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:50 PM
351PONY
2nd Gear Member

I've never had this issue with my 5-speed car. I suspect it's an auto only problem, and the explanation about the computer thinking it needs to shift gears makes sense to me. If taking her out of OD solves the issue (and potentially saves a few 'Stangs from becoming road kill) I'd say do it until Ford fixes this.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:03 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

It's nearly wrecked me too.

It happens to me at low speeds after a high speed trip. Yesterday's event was at roughly 25MPH.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:27 PM
tammijoe
1st Gear Member

I am not sure if yours is doing the same as mine.
My stang will kinda like hiccup, like it is shutting down and restarting. It has happened on the interstate and on the highway, any where from 70 to 10 mph. It has done this several times and has left me on the side of the road broke down 4 times and has left the service mgr. broke down twice. And as of this post it is at thedealership broke down once more. I finally had enough and filed a complaint with the BBB last week. The dealership is also confused with all of this.

Quick Reply: Still Having a Very Scary Problem W/My Pony